Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Don Henley-"The Last Worthless Evening" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 November 2007 at 6:54am | IP Logged Quote jimct

I have two different promo CD singles for this:

Don Henley-"The Last Worthless Evening" (PRO-CD-3734)
1-7" Edit (listed 4:28; actual 4:29)
2-Edit/Long Intro (listed 4:35; actual 4:36)

Don Henley-"The Last Worthless Evening" (PRO-CD-3834)
1-New Mix (listed 4:28; actual 4:29)

I will soon send mp3's for both of the actual 4:29 versions out to my 'go-to-version-expert", Aaron K, for him to confirm that the two are indeed different mixes, and not just a "marketing ploy" by Geffen.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

MARKETING PLOY! Track 1 on both promo CDs are the exact same mix; however, I did find one thing interesting. The "New Mix" does run 0.66% faster and fades about a second and a half later. (They do have exactly the same run time, as Jim correctly notes above. The faster pitch of the "New Mix" is what allows it to have a later fade, but the same run time.)

I can't hear any mix differences whatsoever, even with my V600 headphones on. Maybe Jim can give us some marketing insight. Was this song quickly becoming a stiff, so the label delivered this "New Mix" to try to save it?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

A simple answer here, my friend: YES!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 November 2007 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I've noticed Geffen used this little marketing ploy with many of their early '90s promo CD singles. Thanks to you guys, I don't have to worry about seeking out a promo copy of the so-called "New Mix" of "The Last Worthless Evening" since I already have this version on the other promo single!

On a side note... Aaron, aren't those Sony-V600 headphones terrific? I've been using them for ten years (now on my second pair)! ;-)
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 November 2007 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Todd Ireland wrote:
... Aaron, aren't those Sony-V600 headphones terrific? I've been using them for ten years (now on my second pair)! ;-)

You can say that again, Todd. I bought my first pair in 1994, and I'm just about ready to buy my third pair! They sound excellent, and they hold up really well. The only reason I've gone though so many pair is that they've gotten pretty beat up working in radio every day. I'd be willing to bet that no single pair of V600s exist with as many hours of use as my current pair, which I use on the air and for my many hours of home audio projects!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 November 2007 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Yep, Aaron! I know of other audio engineers who swear by those headphones as well. I don't think you can find a pair that boasts better sound reproduction and clarity for the money!

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 November 2007 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Anyone remember using the Koss Pro 4AA's? First set of headphones I ever used in the mid 70's when I, as a teenager, made my radio debut.

Hopefully, you guys can see this image of me...from 1978!
http://start.djgold.com/talk/attach_files/radiojohn_181.jpg

Back on subject, I ordered a promo for this song last week. Trying to locate a promo for "The Heart Of The Matter" has been a little more difficult for me.

Edited by eriejwg on 19 November 2007 at 12:17am
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 November 2007 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

My promo 45 for "The Last Worthless Evening" came in today. Labeled as the 7" edit, listed time is 4:28, actual is 4:29, matching the time in the database. Deadwax info is: 7-22-771-DJ-SR1 DMM
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 October 2008 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat has graciously incorporated all the DJ single info for "The Last Worthless Evening" into the database as provided by the good folks on this message thread. I thought I'd also pass along that the song's actual commercial 45 run time is 6:03. (Run time info courtesy of abagon. The printed record label time is 6:05.)

Abagon also informs me he has a U.S. pressing of Don Henley's The End of the Innocence vinyl LP. He reports the actual LP time of "The Last Worthless Evening" is 6:01, not 6:05 as stated on the record label and runs slightly faster than the 45, thus accounting for the :02 difference between the 45 and LP.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 October 2008 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Todd Ireland wrote:
I've noticed Geffen used this little marketing ploy with many of their early '90s promo CD singles.

Wasn't just 90's promo CDs. I have a couple of mid-80s Geffen vinyl promo singles they did this on as well. Elton John's "Sad Songs" comes to mind immediately. Other Warner Bros. distributed labels did the same thing. I have 2 promo singles of "And She Was"-Talking Heads. Any mix differences between the two are indiscernable to me, but one is labeled "new mix" or something along that line.

eriejwg wrote:
Anyone remember using the Koss Pro 4AA's?

I had a pair of them back in the 70s. Sounded good, but were the heaviest set of headphones I ever owned. Called 'em "the earcrushers".
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 October 2008 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To Hykker,

There WAS a difference in the mixes of "And She Was".

I'm only going by memory right now, but the newer mix was less pristine & more "rock" and there was a slight edit at the end.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 October 2008 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

aaronk wrote:
Todd Ireland wrote:
... Aaron, aren't those Sony-V600 headphones terrific? I've been using them for ten years (now on my second pair)! ;-)

You can say that again, Todd. I bought my first pair in 1994, and I'm just about ready to buy my third pair!

Update: I didn't end up buying a third pair of those Sony V600s. I splurged and went for the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones. They're about twice the price, but they blow the Sony headphones away.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 October 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Aaron:

You appreciate what an 'investment' is vs. a purchase.

My current main audio cabinets for my events are the KV2 EX10's. At $1499.00 a cabinet, they are almost 3 times what most other 'speakers' are. But, I wanted an investment that would produce a flawless sound. It's the last cabinet I'll ever need.

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 October 2008 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

I bought a pair of Koss ESP-6 cans in 1969. They had red LEDs on the fronts that lit when they clipped (not that you could see the LEDs while wearing the headphones unless standing in front of a mirror.) They had liquid-filled ear cushions, were uncomfortable as hell and they weighed a ton. If you tilted your head in any direction, your neck was toast. I was more than happy to toss the Koss in favor of the Sennheiser HD-414. Still have the 414s, but haven't used 'em in years. Got a pair of Sony MDR-7509s eight or nine years ago for transferring vinyl and, aside from the accelerated hearing loss, have never regretted the decision.

Edited by Yah Shure on 15 October 2008 at 1:03pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 October 2008 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I have to weigh in about the Sony V600s. I have a pair myself, and I love them. Great sound, great isolation from the room noise, very comfy.

My only gripe is that the plastic outer coating on the ear pads eventually gets tacky and flakes off. I'm using mine mostly for live events, which can be pretty hot and sticky. I had a half hour to spare before the last gig, so I sat down and, using my thumbnail, scraped off as much as I could of the black plastic stuff, leaving just cloth underneath. MUCH better now.

I still mourn the death of my Sony V-6's, though, which I think was an earlier version of the V600s. Every DJ I ever ran into in the commercial radio world had a pair of these. I'd still be using mine, except I got zapped from a poorly grounded mixing board in a low-budget radio station's studio - just a little static-electricity shock but enough to kill the left channel in the V-6's. So sad... I keep them around anyway in case I feel like being one of those cool one-ear-only DJs...
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 October 2008 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote abagon

Pat
The commercial 45 run time info is not updated on the database. Please modify from the "6:01" to the "6:03" (the listed "6:05").

------------------------------------------------------------ ----
I'm amazed, because I've seen some postings of the Japanese audio products "Sony headphone, Technics turntable, Audio Technica phono cartridge" on the message board. (in this thread also in the "On the loose - Saga" thread.)
My turntable system is "Denon DP-59M" (with some Denon phono cartridges.) I'm always clocking the running time through a Japanese product-"Sansui" amplifier and U.S. product-"JBL" speakers. They are very compatible!

--abagon

Edited by abagon on 16 October 2008 at 8:29am
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Where were the edit points on this exactly? I made my own edit as a guess (I know that first verse jumps to "And it just breaks my heart, to see you here this way"), but the others are guesses)

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version