Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: music editing software Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 31 May 2005 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i'm trying to figure out which music editing software program to buy so i can create my own 45 versions of songs from their lp/cd counterparts....can any and all members post their recomendations so as to aid me in my decision

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 June 2005 at 12:28am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

edtop40, I've been doing this for 8 years now, and I've always used Cool Edit Pro. It can do all kinds of really "cool" things with audio. Not only can you edit, but you can use it as a multi-track mixing/recording studio. Some of the effects that I use a lot (besides "cut" and "paste") are:
- Click/Pop Eliminator (to clean up vinyl)
- Noise Reduction & Hiss Reduction
- Amplify & Hard Limiter (to increase/decrease volume of songs)
- Pitch (which will change the pitch AND tempo or can chance the tempo without changing pitch and pitch without changing tempo)
Other effects include:
- Reverse
- Reverb (with a number of presets)
- Echo (with presets)
- Equalization
- Filters (to filter out frequencies or create unique effects)
- Compression (to change dynamics of the music--not file compression)
- Channel Mixing (to switch or mix certain percentages of each channel)

Bottom line is that this program can do TONS of things, and it can do them quite well. For editing, you can zoom in to the SAMPLE (there are 44,100 samples per second of audio)---far more accurate than you could ever do on reel to reel tape.

If you're looking for a new copy, it's no longer called Cool Edit Pro. Adobe bought the software and renamed it Adobe Audition. I've never used their new version, so I can't make any claims as to how good it is, but it looks similar to Cool Edit Pro. I am using version 1.2, and it can do everything I need it to do and more. The key with any editing software is getting comfortable with the controls, shortcuts, etc. The more you use it, the easier it gets. Older versions of Cool Edit Pro (like 1.2 and 2.1) are commonly available for sale on eBay for around $100.00.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2005 at 2:48am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

As I've mentioned before, I use Magix Audio Cleaning Lab. It can do MOST of what Cool Edit Pro can do, it sounds like. The only thing the old version I'm using can't do is flip the R and L channels (for where the single's left-right is reversed from what's on CD).

Their latest upgrade, which I haven't bought yet but have sampled as a download, can draw a fade arc on the waveform. So you could load the vinyl 45's waveform and view it side-by-side with the CD waveform, and draw that fade arc to look exactly like the 45s -- so you'd EXACTLY match the 45 fade.

I don't know if the software Edision recommended has that feature or not.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 June 2005 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Cool Edit has a function that allows you to draw a fade arc. It's called "Envelope" and can do a number of other volume adjustments besides a straight fade.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version