Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Dave Clark Five -some stereo versions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 November 2007 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

As the database indciates, the only source for all Top 40 singles of DC5 is Hollywood Records' "The History Of The Dave Clark Five."

There are a couple of import CDs in my collection that do contain a couple of the hits in stereo with good quality and good separation. Bits & Pieces Records 7400 is a "three-fer" with the Epic LPs "5 By 5," "You Got What It Takes" and "Everybody Knows" all on one CD. Contained therein are "You Got What It Takes" and "You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby" in true stereo. Also, on a Japanese import titled "The Dave Clark Five vs. Peter & Gordon" (for which I cannot discern the record manufacturer - looks like a stylized "TF" and the disc number is "JASRAC R-280044" - it is, however, a commercially manufactured CD) there are eight DC5 tunes and eight P&G tunes. "Can't You See That She's Mine" and "Catch Us If You Can" are in true stereo, while the rest ("Glad All Over," "Bits And Pieces," "Anyway You Want It," "Because," "Hurtin' Inside" and "Over And Over") are in mono. The P&G cuts are mostly in stereo ("A World Without Love," "I Don't Want To See You Again," "True Love Ways," "Baby I'm Yours" and "Lady Godiva") while "Nobody I Know," "I Go To Pieces" and "Woman" are in mono.

Does anyone know if/where the rest of the DC5 Top 40 catalogue can be found in stereo on import CD?
Back to Top View satchdr's Profile Search for other posts by satchdr

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I have "Glad All Over" in true stereo on an Epic 50th Anniversary promo-only various artists CD. It says "Copyright Dave Clark."
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 March 2009 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

satchdr references an import CD that has three Dave Clark Five albums on CD. Does anyone know if this disc contains their songs from a tape source, or are these vinyl LP transfers?

Also, I just ordered the new Hits import, released a few months ago in the UK on Universal. Has anyone heard this disc yet to know if they are stereo or mono versions and how good the sound quality is?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 March 2009 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

aaronk, the three LP CD I referred to in my earlier post states in the liner notes: "Digitally transferred from original first generation stereo and mono recordings, if analogue [sic] master tapes were not available." Pretty ambiguous, huh?

Listening to the tracks with headphones, I did not hear and of the surface noise associated normally with mastering from vinyl. The audio quality of all three albums is pretty darn good. "5 By 5" is mono. "You Got What It Takes" and "Everybody Knows" are stereo. Nice original album (and some EP) art in the booklet, too.

Dan

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 March 2009 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks for the info, Dan! I might try tracking that CD down.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 March 2009 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

aaronk wrote:
Also, I just ordered the new Hits import, released a few months ago in the UK on Universal. Has anyone heard this disc yet to know if they are stereo or mono versions and how good the sound quality is?

Aaron, I think posters on BSN said they were all mono.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 March 2009 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

I can confirm Brian W.'s comment having received my copy of "The Hits" today. All the original hits are here and the digital remastering has made them all crisp and clean. With the exception of the last six cuts ("Good Old Rock 'n' Roll (Medley)," "Sha-Na-Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye," "Here Comes Summer," "Put A Little Love In Your Heart," "Everybody Get Together" and "Universal Love" (which are apparently later recordings of DC% and are in stereo), each of the first 22 cuts ("Do You Love Me," "Glad All Over," "Bits And Pieces," "Can't You See That She's Mine," "Everybody Knows (I Still Love You)," "Don't Let Me Down," "Any Way You Want It," "Wild Weekend," "Catch Us If You Can," "Because," "I Like It Like That," "Reelin' And Rockin'," "Over And Over," "Come Home," "You Got What It Takes," "Try Too Hard," "Everybody Knows," "I'll Be Yours My Love," "Nineteen Days," "Look Before You Leap," "'Til The Right One Comes Along" and "All Night Long") are in mono.

The booklet is interesting in spots (although an unabashed testimonial to the group with comments by, among others, Tom Hanks and Eddie Van Halen) but disappointing to me because it does not identify recording dates or release dates of any of the cuts.

After Brian W.'s earlier post about "Glad All Over" appearing in stereo on the "Epic 50th Anniversary" CD set (which I purchased and is excellent throughout), I'm still wondering why stereo versions of the other DC5 hits haven't shown up anywhere. There are now three of the 1964-1966 group of hits that are accounted for in stereo, so it stands to reason that the rest (or at least the master tapes) out there somewhere, right?

It would be nice if Dave Clark were a chat board member, eh?

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 March 2009 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

satchdr wrote:
I'm still wondering why stereo versions of the other DC5 hits haven't shown up anywhere. There are now three of the 1964-1966 group of hits that are accounted for in stereo, so it stands to reason that the rest (or at least the master tapes) out there somewhere, right?

It would be nice if Dave Clark were a chat board member, eh?

From everything I've read, the bottleneck is Dave himself who is either opposed to or not interested in mixing his songs in stereo. Since he owns the rights and the tapes it doesn't sound like we're gonna hear any stereo DC5 anytime.

Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 March 2009 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Steve, you're absolutely right - the problem always has been (and always will be) 100% Dave Clark himself. Sadly, he couldn't care less about our wishes/thoughts/opinions (or anyone else's, for that matter) as to how/when he should release his music. He has been totally ignoring any and all label/consumer feedback (and he's gotten plenty of it!) for more than 40 years now. He knows the people want stereo. His response: "Too bad. No." I'm almost positive that stereo mixes of all of his songs were also done during the orignal 60's recording process - it's just that Clark strongly feels these stereo mixes are vastly inferior, and lack all the punch/TLC that went into the hit mono mixes. Back in the late 70's, I believe, one of the first import LPs I ever bought was "The Best Of The Dave Clark Five: 14 Million World Sellers" on EMI/Regal's "Starline" series (SRS 5037). This album is unfortunately missing "Over And Over", "I Like It Like That" and "Any Way You Want It" (not hits in the U.K.), but includes his 10 other biggest U.S. hits, all original recordings, all in perfect stereo, and on absolutely pristine, high-quality U.K. vinyl. I was so happy with this LP that I went back the next month, to the same store, and bought a second copy of it, just as a "backup" - I had a feeling back then that it was gonna be both rare and valuable. Attempting to acquire a stereo, "Over And Over" (the other two songs mentioned above are also missing on these), I picked up two different Polydor import "hits" LPs (one from the UK and one from Spain, which claimed "stereo"), but both feature the song in mono. I have transferred a dub of my Starline LP onto a CD-R for my listening pleasure, since Mr. Clark isn't ever going to!

Edited by jimct on 13 March 2009 at 1:27pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2009 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Sounds like you have a valuable collector's item in your mitts, Jim!

Meanwhile, can anyone determine if the sound quality on the Dave Clark Five Hits import CD is superior to that of the domestic History of set? I'll certainly consider getting the Hits disc if it is.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2009 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote satchdr

Following up on jimct's remarks, back in 1972, I bought a Columbia/Odeon Dutch import LP (5C 052-93330) "History Of British Pop - Vol. 3 - Dave Clark Five (I also have Vol.8 - Peter & Gordon) that has "Do You Love Me," "Glad All Over," "Bits And Pieces," "Can't You See That She's Mine," "Everybody Knows," "Catch Us If You Can," "You've Got What It Takes," Reelin' And Rockin'," "Nineteen Days" and "The Red Balloon" all in stereo. The remaining two cuts on the LP ("Over And Over" and "I Like It Like That") are in mono-reprocessed--for-stereo mode. (Interesting that the three songs missing on jimct's EMI/Regal LP are either in mono/reprocessed or missing on the Columbia/Odeon LP.)

Also, I don't understand why "The Red Balloon" is missing from "Hits" and "History." It was a good (kinda quirky) single that was popular in England although it didn't break into the Hot 100 here.

As to Todd's question, I'll compare "The Hits" to "History," see if there are any sonic quality differences and report back.

Dan

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2009 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

I too bought that "The Best Of The Dave Clark Five: 14 Million World Sellers" on EMI/Regal's "Starline" series (SRS 5037) LP and loved the stereo mixes, although many of them differ from their hit mono counterparts (e.g., "Bits and Pieces" missing the tambourine, "Catch Us If You Can" with different yells).

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2009 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

David, thanks very much for your breakdown/analysis of the EMI/Regal "Starline" LP. I also think it's awesome that "David Clark" is such on expert on the "Dave Clark 5"! I had not previously known of/noticed the song differences you have just pointed out above, sir. Maybe now we're finally starting to get somewhere here. Perhaps Clark did give releasing stereo versions of his songs a try, on the LP we both bought 30+ years ago, didn't like the results he heard on there, and he won't revisit the subject now because of it. Since David's findings do reveal numerous sound/mix differences, perhaps there may not actually be "true stereo 45 versions" out there after all. I, too, now anxiously await Dan's Hits/History audio analysis and findings!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 March 2009 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

satchdr wrote:
All the original hits are here and the digital remastering has made them all crisp and clean.

I second that! I don't have History to compare it with, though.

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2009 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

For years, I've gritted my teeth whenever the radio stations formerly known as "oldies" played those stereo mixes. From the extra echo on the "stay"s on "Glad All Over" to the missing/different percussion on "Can't You See That She's Mine" to the less-upfront, right-channel organ intro on "Because" to - as David pointed out - the different yells on "Catch Us If You Can", they just don't measure up to the hit versions/mono mixes.

If I were to use one word to describe what's missing from the stereo mixes that is the trademark of the DC5's beat group sound on the mono mixes, it would be excitement. Dave Clark strikes me as being firmly planted in the "Back To Mono" camp, and the wallop that his group's singles delivered made them sound extra exciting on AM radio at the time.

I remember seeing the EMI/Regal Starline LP in the cutout bins in 1977, but I passed on it for two reasons: one, Epic's Glad All Over Again mono compilation had come out three years earlier, and two, I already had the 1971 Epic double-LP The Dave Clark Five (Epic 30434.) The latter LP contained only six hits among its twenty tracks, but those six - "Glad All Over", "Can't You See That She's Mine", "Try Too Hard", Because", "Please Tell Me Why" and "Come Home" were all in true stereo.

I'm not opposed to having the DC5 material in stereo, but I think it works best on the mellower hits. The rockers just sound flat and lifeless, especially when compared with the mono mixes on the History CD and the 1974 Glad All Over Again double-LP. One other thing that strikes me about the DC5 hits: Mike Smith's double-tracked vocals complement each other better on the mono mixes.

I have "The Red Balloon" in stereo on the Italian Polydor Historia De La Musica Rock DC5 LP, but to my ears, it sounds like it's patterned after the group mistakenly shown on the front cover, Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich. The verse sung in French likely didn't help "Red Balloon"'s chances in finding a U.S. audience, either. 1967 was a pivotal year, and in America, the DC5 began to sound dated. I do agree that the later singles should have been included on the CDs. To have waited so many years, only to have a non-definitive, double-CD with too much filler like History was a major letdown.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2009 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

davidclark wrote:
I too bought that "The Best Of The Dave Clark Five: 14 Million World Sellers" on EMI/Regal's "Starline" series (SRS 5037) LP and loved the stereo mixes, although many of them differ from their hit mono counterparts (e.g., "Bits and Pieces" missing the tambourine, "Catch Us If You Can" with different yells).

That's because those stereo mixes were done to match the UK versions, not the U.S. versions. The missing overdubs on the stereo Can't You See That She's Mine never bugged me... my mono Best Of Dave Clark Five lp on epic had the UK 45 version on there.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 March 2009 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Yah Shure wrote:

If I were to use one word to describe what's missing from the stereo mixes that is the trademark of the DC5's beat group sound on the mono mixes, it would be excitement. Dave Clark strikes me as being firmly planted in the "Back To Mono" camp, and the wallop that his group's singles delivered made them sound extra exciting on AM radio at the time.

Not to mention COMPRESSION! The DC5's hits had to be some of the most heavily compressed records of all time. Some of them can't have more than 1 or 2 dB of dynamic range.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

SoCalDrew
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2009 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote SoCalDrew

Brian W. wrote:
I have "Glad All Over" in true stereo on an Epic 50th Anniversary promo-only various artists CD. It says "Copyright Dave Clark."

I've never heard of this one. Can you post a tracklisting?
Back to Top View SoCalDrew's Profile Search for other posts by SoCalDrew

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2009 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote satchdr

Here you go. (It's Epic ESK 56067. Total of five CDs. Nice presentation and nice booklet included. Some of these are LP version and some are 45 version.)

Hamilton, Roy - Unchained Melody
Hickey, Ersel - Bluebirds Over The Mountain
Jamies - Summertime, Summertime
Vinton, Bobby -- Blue Velvet
Clark, Dave, Five - Glad All Over
Donovan – Sunshine Superman
Lulu – To Sir With Love
McKenzie, Scott – San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair)         & nbsp;
Tremeloes – Here Comes My Baby
Spirit – I Got A Line On You
Poco – You Better Think Twice     
Hollies -     Long Cool Woman ( In A Black Dress)
Argent -     Hold Your Head Up
Nash, Johnny – I Can See Clearly Now     
Winter, Edgar, Group - Frankenstein
Wild Cherry – Play That Funky Music
Cheap Trick – I Want You To Want Me
Meat Loaf – Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad
Lovich, Lene – Lucky Number
Jackson, Michael – Rock With You
Electric Light Orchestra – Don’t Bring Me Down
REO Speedwagon – Keep On Loving You
Fogelberg, Dan – Same Old Lang Syne
Adam Ant – Goody Two Shoes
Grant, Eddy – Electric Avenue
Nena – 99 Luftballons     
Romantics – What I Like About You         &nb sp;
Yankovic, "Weird Al" – Eat It
Lauper, Cyndi – Girls Just Want To Have Fun     
'Til Tuesday – Voices Carry
Dead Or Alive – You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)     
Estefan, Gloria, & Miami Sound Machine – Rhythm Is Gonna Get You
Indigo Girls – Closer To Fine
Oasis – Wonderwall
Dion, Celine – Because You Loved Me
Apple, Fiona - Criminal
Folds, Ben, Five - Brick
Lopez, Jennifer – If You Had My Love
Moore, Mandy - Candy
B2K – Uh Huh
Shakira – Whenever, Wherever
Day, Howie – She SAys
Yardbirds – Shapes Of Things
Beck, Jeff – You Shook Me
Boston – More Than A Feeling
Kansas – Cary On Wayward Son
Nugent, Ted – Cat Scratch Fever
Heart - Barracuda
Clash – London Calling
Osbourne, Ozzy – Crazy Train
Vaughan, Stevie Ray – Pride And Joy
Living Colour – Cult Of Personality
Pearl Jam - Jeremy
Rage Against The Machine – Killing In The Name
Korn – Freak On A Leash
Incubus – Pardon Me
Fuel – Hemorrhage (In My Hands)
Mudvayne Dig-
Chevelle – The Red
Good Charlotte – Lifestyles Of The Rich & Famous
Audioslave - Cochise
Lance, Major – The Monkey Time
Sly & The Family Stone – Everyday People
Melvin, Harold, & The Blue Notes – If You Don’t Know Me By Now
Paul, Billy - Me And Mrs. Jones
O'Jays – Love Train
LaBelle – Lady Marmalade
Isley Brothers – Fight The Power (Part 1)
Rawls, Lou – You’ll Never Find Another Love Like Mine
Heatwave – Boogie Nights
S.O.S. Band – Take Your Time (Do It Right) (Part 1)
Vandross, Luther – Never Too Much
Marie, Teena – Lover Girl
Sade – Smooth Operator
Babyface – For The Cool In You
Groove Theory – Tell Me
Keb Mo' – Kindhearted Woman Blues
Ginuwine - Pony
Gray, Macy – I Try
Scott, Jill – Getting’ In The Way
Houston, David – Almost Persuaded
Jim & Jesse – Diesel On My Tail
Wynette, Tammy – Stand By Your Man
Rich, Charlie – Behind Closed Doors
Kristofferson, Kris – Why Me
Swan, Billy – I Can Help
Paycheck, Johnny – Take This Job And Shove It
Stampley, Joe – Do You Ever Fool Around
Daniels, Charlie, Band – The Devil Went Down To Georgia
Jones, George – He Stopped Loving Her Today
Haggard, Merle – Big City
Rodriguez, Johnny – Foolin’
McDowell, Ronnie – You’re Gonna Ruin My Bad Reputation
Exile – Give Me One More Chance
McClain, Charly – Radio Heart
Skaggs, Ricky – Country Boy
Asleep At The Wheel – House Of Blue Lights
Raye, Collin – Love, Me
Stone, Doug – A Jukebox With A Country Song
Diffie, Joe – Pickup Man
Herndon, Ty – What Mattered Most
Loveless, Patty – You Can Feel Bad
Martin, Brad – On The Wings Of A Honky Tonk Angel
Crowell, Rodney – Still Learning How To Fly

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2009 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Tom, can you please indicate to me which UK 45s match the stereo mixes on "The Best Of The Dave Clark Five". thanks!

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version