Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Lou Gramm - "Just Between You And Me" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 November 2007 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

All of the commercially available version run about 4:55 and are the LP version, which was also the commercially available 45 version.

Here are instructions for recreating a nice edited version that's on The A-List, using the LP version on Cosmopolitan Vol. 3 (Sandstone, 1992) as a starting point:

Keep the first 7 beats of the song from 0:00.0-0:03.7 of the LP version.
Edit on the snare.
Remove the 8 beats from 0:03.7-0:07.7.
Keep the 6 beats from 0:07.7-0:10.6.
Edit on the snare.
Remove the 8 beats from 0:10.6-0:0:14.6.
Keep 0:14.6 (comes in 3 beats before the downbeat)-2:48.6 of the LP version.
Edit on the snare.
Remove the 32 beats from 2:48.6-3:04.3.
Keep 3:04.3 (snare right before "and don't you know...")-4:09.0 of the LP version.
Put a fade on the last 32 beats.

You'll be left with a mixdown that's about 3:45, with edits at 0:03.7, 0:06.7 and 2:40.7, with a 32-beat fade from about 3:29-3:45 (the fade is 8 beats off the 32-beat downbeat, which is a little odd).

This version is much more radio-friendly than the full LP version. If you've got a promo CD single for this, please let me know if this version is on it.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

crapfromthepast wrote:
If you've got a promo CD single for this, please let me know if this version is on it.
Ron, I do. It is PR-3025-2, and has two versions. If you'd like me to shoot you out the "Edit", version, to compare against what you've just edited/described (there is a :04 disparity between the two), feel free to PM me:

1-(Edit) (listed 3:51; actual 3:49)
2-(LP Version) (listed 4:55; actual 4:52)

Edited by jimct on 04 November 2007 at 6:04pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Thanks, Ron and Jim! Appreciate the edit points and run times...thanks to Adobe, another promo edit!
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 November 2007 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Thanks to Jim, I was able to confirm that the edit points above are correct for the "Edit" on the promo CD single. The difference in time is from the fade, which has an extremely long tail on the promo single.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 November 2007 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

Ron, I believe you have the promo compilation "Atlantic's Year In Review: 1989" (based on your website). Which version is included on there? I'm curious because I just purchased a copy and am awaiting it's arrival in the mail...I was hoping it included the edit version.
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 November 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Atlantic's Year In Review 1989 has the full album version. I was surprised at that, since the early Year In Reviews have some of the DJ edits and/or remixes, like "Land OF Confusion". Not this track, though.

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2021 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

It amuses me to read about the long tail on this one. I played this one when it was new, and our segue point (the place we started the next song and faded this song down) was 3:38.

I don't ever remember hearing anything past 3:43, even with someone talking over the end with the volume wide open. I'm confident the person who transferred this song to cart (tape for play on-air) thought, "to heck with that... we'll never play that much of this fade on the air... I'm turning it down NOW." :-D

It's interesting all these years later that #1 I still remember segue points and #2 I'm finally hearing the rest of the fade.

Thanks, as always, to everyone for helping recreate another great radio edit!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version