Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Master P - Make ’Em Say Uhh! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 May 2005 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

The song "Make 'Em Say Uhh!" appears on the cd "MP Da Last Don" but if you look closely it is titled "Make 'Em Say Uhh! #2". This is an uncensored version running 4:27 and is difficult to compare to the other versions that appear on cd because all other versions are a similar censored version running 5:02. So my question regards whether the version that has the #2 added should even be listed in my book because it very well could be considered a distinct "#2" which was not the hit version! What input do you chat board members have?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 May 2005 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I would say don't list it. The single was a hit in 1997 taken from the "Ghetto D" album, while the "MP Da Last Don" album was released the following year. The version on the latter album is a re-working of the track; not just a remix. Both the background track and vocals are different than the hit version, even though the lyrics are the same.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 May 2005 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I'd actually vote in favor of listing the MP Da Last Don CD containing "Make 'Em Say Uhh! #2". I think readers might find it helpful to know that this re-worked 4:27 uncensored version is not to be confused with the hit version and might save someone from buying the wrong CD.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 March 2015 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Just received the O.S.T. Pootie Tang cd on Hollywood 62329 and "Make 'Em Say Ugh" runs (3:56) and does not appear to be an edit of the LP version so does anyone have a dj cd single that can report various edits and running times?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 March 2015 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just recently obtained the promo CD for this song, and here are the details:

DPRO 30222
1. (non-described version) (listed 5:04; actual 5:05)
2. With Intro (listed & actual 5:34)
3. Instrumental (listed 5:26; actual 5:27)

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 March 2015 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Aaron is the non-described version censored or uncensored?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 March 2015 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It's censored, Pat.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 March 2015 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm not sure what the dominant singles format was at the time (cassette
or CD), but there was a commercial 2-track CD single with the Radio
Version and Instrumental. I only have the 4-track maxi single which has
the uncensored album version as the lead track, followed by the Radio
Version, Instrumental, and a different track called "Weed And
Hennesey."

The Radio Version on the commercial CD single is the same as the
"With Intro" version on the promo CD single. The only difference
between this version and the non-described lead track on the promo is
that the phone call has been edited off the latter version. It appears that
this no-intro censored version is the one that most commonly appears
on CD.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 March 2015 at 12:07am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

So if I understand Pat's new db notes for this song correctly (thanks to the recent addition of the 2001 Pootie Tang soundtrack), this song started out titled "Make Say Ugh", morphed into "Make 'Em Say Ugh", and finally (as a top 40 hit), "Make 'Em Say Uhh!"??? Yikes! Out of curiosity, I just went over to YouTube and gave the song a listen; turns out I'd never heard it before, to the best of my recollection. Frankly, I think "Ugh" was much more appropriate... :-)

aaronk wrote:
...there was a commercial 2-track CD single with the Radio Version and Instrumental. I only have the 4-track maxi single which has the uncensored album version as the lead track, followed by the Radio Version, Instrumental, and a different track called "Weed And Hennesey."

It seems there were four versions of the "Make 'Em Say Uhh!" single released commercially here in the U.S.: The four-track maxi-single was issued on No Limit/Priority 53302 in all three formats (i.e., 12" vinyl, cassette, & CD); based on the info & photos posted on Discogs (don't own any of them myself), the tracks & versions were identical on each. And lastly, a regular two-track single was also issued on No Limit/Priority 53303, but only on CD (no vinyl 45 or cassette). As you noted above, the two-track version contains a "Radio Version" and an "Instrumental" (don't have that one, either). My older edition of Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles book indicates that this two-track CD single features a "clean" (censored) version of the song...

I also went over to Google Books, where they have every issue of Billboard magazine from 1998 posted, to check and see what was shown during this song's chart run on the "Hot 100". It turns out Billboard BOTCHED the format availability of "Make 'Em Say Uhh!"! During its entire 27-week run, they showed it as being on regular cassette single (C), regular CD single (D), and vinyl maxi-single (T), when it SHOULD have stated "(D)", "(T)", "(M)" for cassette maxi-single, and "(X)" for CD maxi-single! Furthermore, the catalog no. shown was "53302", which was for the maxi-single. In turn, it appears that Whitburn & Record Research carried over that mistake into the Top Pop Singles book, as the older edition I'm currently looking in also gives the maxi-single number ("53302") for its chart run, yet shows only the "rectangle" symbol for a regular cassette single next to it (no asterisk as well, which would indicate maxi-single, since there was no regular two-track cassette single, AFAIK)...

Quote:
I'm not sure what the dominant singles format was at the time (cassette or CD)...

Sales of CD singles passed the cassette single here in the U.S. in 1998, literally while this song was on the charts. W/ the CD version being available in both regular and maxi- forms, in this case the edge likely went to the digital format. And heck, since there apparently was no regular two-track cassette single issued, I assume we need to go to the two-track CD single by default, regardless of which was the dominant singles format at the time. :-) For those who may be interested, here's a used copy currently listed on eBay: MASTER P - "Make 'Em Say Uhh!" (regular U.S. two-track commercial CD single)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version