Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Ray Parker Jr.-"Let Me Go" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 October 2007 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Although not in the database, this song reached #38 BB in 8/82. My commercial 45 has a listed time of (3:46), but an actual time of (4:10). FYI, this length is also the actual timing of the version that appears on my "Ray Parker Jr.-Greatest Hits" CD.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 October 2007 at 4:53am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks for passing along this info, Jim. I noticed Joel Whitburn has the 3:46 time for "Let Me Go" listed in his Pop Singles Annual 1955-1999 book, so I assumed the 45 was either an edit or an early fade of the LP. I'm happy to learn that the commercial 45 is the same version and length as on my Ray Parker Jr. Greatest Hits disc and that I can now cross another song off my "Wish List"!

Edited by Todd Ireland on 20 October 2007 at 4:53am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

bdpop
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 October 2007 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote bdpop

The LP version has a spoken part at the beginning that is edited out on the single.
Back to Top View bdpop's Profile Search for other posts by bdpop

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 October 2007 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Since, for one reason or another, almost all of us who collect Top 40 hits and use this Board, seem to have chosen to collect by exclusively using the Billboard books' chart peak position, I decided to post my initial info for this song here. Since the beginning, Pat has chosen to incorporate a Billboard/Cashbox combined chart average (which he probably has to do, legally. I believe this was a VERY wise move by Pat, and I'm happy that he initially thought of it. After all, I know Mr. Whitburn pays Billboard very well to exclusively utilize their chart results. And, God knows, with Mr. Whitburn also having to pay good people, like our own ultra-knowledgable/kind/hard-working/brilliant/all-around great guy Paul Haney, his well-deserved $10 million dollar annual salary (at least that's what he deserves!!!!! :) ), he's got to sell a few books! I also think it is tremendous that we on this Board are also often able to help Paul, and Mr. Whitburn's company (Record Research) as well, with both our actual 45 timings, and many other first-time findings, and that Paul can then update THEIR database with our findings, simply for accuracy's sake, as well as the overall good of everybody involved in this great hobby. I also believe that our Board helps increase Mr. Whitburn's book sales, by discussing/celebrating all hit records, from 1955 to the present. But, as a result of the Billboard/Cashbox chart-peak combo that Pat must use, there ARE a few songs, like this one, that many of us desire additional details on/for, but aren't included in Pat's database, due to their "Lower-Than-Top-40" Cashbox chart peak positions. That's one of many reasons why this Board is SO great! We can try to fill in these few holes ourselves, for the "Truly Warped, Billboard Top 40 Peak Completionists." I have been recently researching other songs that happen to be in this same "limbo category" (such as "Atomic" by Blondie), and I will be posting my findings on them here on the Board, as time allows. And, thanks also, bdpop, for the LP version info. We now know that his GH CD features the "45 Version". And until your follow-up, post, bdpop, I thought there was only ONE total version of the song. Jeez, after now doing research on a few of these "stragglers" myself, I now have even a greater appreciation for ALL of Pat's amazing work with his massive database!

Edited by jimct on 20 October 2007 at 4:39pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version