Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Tommy Roe "Sweet Pea" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jrjr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 October 2007 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote jrjr

i don't know if anyone has noticed, but the mix of "sweet pea" on varese "sunshine days, vol 4" is very different than any mix i've heard before (i used MCA "vintage music vol. 17 & 18" for my reference)... i don't have a 45 copy, but i'm fairly certain the sound was keyboard heavy, while the varese mix has guitar up and different vocals... can anyone shed some light on this?
Back to Top View jrjr's Profile Search for other posts by jrjr

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I believe that have been two mixes out there for a while, one with the vocals mostly to one side and another with the vocals centered. I don't know which surfaced and when.

I do know that ABC and Dunhill stuff would show up with different mixes. Midnight Confessions by the Grass Roots had one mix on 16 Greatest Hits and then another on the "ABC Collection" in 1976. The ABC Collection mix can be found on the Vintage CD on MCA.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

The version I have from Tommy Roe's Greatest Hits has vocals centered.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

The version with the vocal off to one side and the drums in the center channel is the original LP mix. The version with centered vocals is a re-mix done for a greatest hits lp.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

TomDiehl1 wrote:
The version with the vocal off to one side and the drums in the center channel is the original LP mix. The version with centered vocals is a re-mix done for a greatest hits lp.

Having a little trouble deciphering--which one's on the Varese CD? (Or is it neither?)

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2007 at 4:56am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

there are also two distinct stereo mixes of "Sheila". One where the drums start off alternating center and left channel then staying mostly left, with the vocals and other instrumentation up center (the drums thing happens again at 1:03).

My other stereo mix has drums and Tommy's vocal center, with guitar left and organ and background vocals right.

Anyone know the story here? Same as "Sweet Pea" perhaps?

I had intended to start a thread on these various different mixes, but haven't got around to it.

Edited by davidclark on 19 October 2007 at 4:56am

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2007 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

davidclark wrote:
there are also two distinct stereo mixes of "Sheila". One where the drums start off alternating center and left channel then staying mostly left, with the vocals and other instrumentation up center (the drums thing happens again at 1:03).

My other stereo mix has drums and Tommy's vocal center, with guitar left and organ and background vocals right.

Anyone know the story here? Same as "Sweet Pea" perhaps?

I had intended to start a thread on these various different mixes, but haven't got around to it.

Yes same as Sweet Pea. One was the original LP mix, one was the Greatest Hits lp remix.

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2007 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

sriv94 wrote:
TomDiehl1 wrote:

Having a little trouble deciphering--which one's on the Varese CD? (Or is it neither?)

If the varese cd has centered vocals, it is the version remixed for the greatest hits album.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2007 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

TomDiehl1 wrote:
sriv94 wrote:
TomDiehl1 wrote:

If the varese cd has centered vocals, it is the version remixed for the greatest hits album.

That's not what I meant (sorry for the confusion). I'm having trouble figuring out with my meager ears whether the vocals are centered or not on the Varese CD version. It doesn't sound like they are, but I'm not sure.

Edited by sriv94 on 19 October 2007 at 11:44am

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2007 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

To throw another wrench in, my copy of "Sheila" from Tommy Roe Greatest Hits is mono. Everything is centered, lol.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2007 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

I would assume that mono mix in the 45 mix. I've heard it too. Quite a different sound and feel from the stereo mixes.

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2007 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

davidclark wrote:

I just checked my mp3s -- the version of Sheila off Tommy Roe's Greatest Hits cd is mono (yes -- 45 version), the only other version I still have as an mp3 has the drums mostly centered, sometimes panning to the right a little bit, acoustic guitar is left, electric guitar is right, background vocals are right. Don't hear an organ on this song at all....i didn't like the other mix i had heard of the song so i didn't end up keeping a copy of it....stupid me, such things could always come in handy, as i've learned.

jrjr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2007 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote jrjr

on the stereo version of "sweet pea" from MCA's VM, the vocals are hard to one side... on the varese disc the vocal is not centered, but rather mixed to both channels on a very slight delay (duophonic?), although it does sound like true stereo... is this a new mix???
Back to Top View jrjr's Profile Search for other posts by jrjr

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2007 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Back around 1960, Tommy Roe released two singles on the "Judd" label:

-Judd 1018: Caveman/I Gotta Girl
-Judd 1022: Shiela/Pretty Girl

One of my best friends inherited his older cousin's 45 collection, and she'd bought the 45 after hearing it on local radio in 1962. Strangely, the 45 she was sold in CT then was the JUDD 45, which actually mis-spells the song title as "Shelia". I borrowed and dubbed this Judd 45, and although similar, it is NOT the same take featured on the 1962 ABC-Paramount 10329 single, b/w "Save Your Kisses."
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2007 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

TomDiehl1 wrote:
I just checked my mp3s -- the version of Sheila off Tommy Roe's Greatest Hits cd is mono (yes -- 45 version), the only other version I still have as an mp3 has the drums mostly centered, sometimes panning to the right a little bit, acoustic guitar is left, electric guitar is right, background vocals are right. Don't hear an organ on this song at all....i didn't like the other mix i had heard of the song so i didn't end up keeping a copy of it....stupid me, such things could always come in handy, as i've learned.

Really? How'd the mono mix escape the great ABC/Dunhill/Dot/MCA tape purge? You sure it's not the reverb-added stereo version summed to mono?

GM
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2007 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Gary Mack wrote:

Really? How'd the mono mix escape the great ABC/Dunhill/Dot/MCA tape purge? You sure it's not the reverb-added stereo version summed to mono?

Not ALL ABC tapes were thrown out, but the bulk of them were. It's possible they pulled the song off some various artists mono lp reel or that a mono tommy roe lp master still existed or the 45 master if it still existed. IIRC Bill Inglot did the tape research for that cd and went with the mono--he wouldn't have used a mono'd down stereo source, and even said he went with the original mono mix because according to him the stereo was a different version, but i dont remember hearing any differences beyond a mix difference. It's definitely a tape source for the song....they could've also used a tape source from overseas, as i know it was pressed up in many countries (and Universal has or had vaults in France and Germany at least, that I know of).

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 April 2009 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Back to Sweat Pea:

All CD issues are either LP length or LP version depending on your point of view.

Argument for LP length: Single has a label and run time of 2:18 with a longer fade. 8 seconds longer than the LP.

Argument for LP version: The single has a good amount of reverb on the vocal that you don't hear on the LP version, also, the second harmony vocal that you can hear on the LP version can barely be heard on the 45. I think it's there but only to be felt, not heard.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 March 2022 at 3:24am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Here's reviving an old thread!

Bill, to follow up with your post 2007 October 18 about The Grass Roots
"Midnight Confessions", you state the mix on "The ABC Collection" is different
from 1971 "Their 16 Greatest His" LP, and that the "The ABC Collection" mix is
on the Vintage Music CD. When I compared "Their 16 Greatest His" and
"Vintage Music", they are the same version. This has got me wondering, is that
"The ABC Collection" mix the one that turned up on Rhino's "Anthology"?

Edited by davidclark on 02 March 2022 at 3:26am

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 March 2022 at 5:54am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

davidclark wrote:
This has got me wondering, is that
"The ABC Collection" mix the one that turned up on Rhino's
"Anthology"?

Regarding "Midnight Confessions", it seems 'The ABC
Collection' has the same version as 'Anthology' with the
exception of 'The ABC Collection' has a stick tap in front
of Carol Kaye's opening bass line.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version