Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Simply Red - If You Don’t Know Me By Now Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 October 2007 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I discovered that there are two mixes of this song. They're VERY close, and I only noticed it in A/B comparisons among my various CD versions of the song.

The US 45 has a credit on the label, "Engineered and Mixed by Daren Klein". The printed time is 3:24, and the actual run time is 3:24.

I found the true US 45 version on the CD The Hits Album 10 (CBS/BMG/WEA UK CD HITS 10, 1989). It matches the US 45 perfectly, start to finish.

I found a really close version to the true 45 on Now 1989 (Virgin EMI PolyGram UK 8 27077 2, 1993), the only difference being that there's an opening note before the downbeat. I thought that this was odd, so I did a side-by-side comparison of the waveforms. I found that there's a tiny fraction of that opening note that still remains on the US 45 - it's clearly an edit, deliberate or not, and the true US 45 lops off exactly 0.2 seconds of the opening note.

I found a slightly different mix on the CD Body Talk - Hearts On Fire (Time-Life R834-21, 2000). Not sure if this is the LP mix, since I don't have A New Flame.

The difference is extremely subtle, and seems to show up mostly in the bassline. In the first 10 seconds, the 45 has a more active bassline, and there are a few notes played before each downbeat. The LP (?) mix on Body Talk just holds a single note before each downbeat. Also, the 45 mix has no bass note played on the last note of the song, where the LP (?) mix does have a bass note played on the last note of the song.

The LP (?) mix on Body Talk does have the opening note that's edited off the true US 45.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 16 October 2007 at 4:08pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 November 2013 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

There is another thread on the board regarding this song. It can be found here.

I'm dredging this topic up for two reasons:

1) Because I just obtained a copy of the US promo CD single (PR 8079-2), 1 track, printed and actual time of 3:24.

2) Because Ron's finding about the difference between the two mixes has not been incorporated into the database.

This is not simply a case of one version having a different introduction, as Pat currently notes. There are two distinct versions/mixes, as can be heard from the bassline of the intro.

The promo CD single version matches the US CD single version and has the first note intact. This is the SAME MIX as the US 45 version, although the 45 lops off the first note.

To sum it up, we have the following versions:

* US CD single / promo CD single version (aka 45 version with additional note at the beginning)
* US 45 version (same mix as CD single but missing first note)
* different mix, which is presumed to be the LP version

Can anyone help us identify for sure the mix that we suspect is the LP version?

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 November 2013 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote abagon

The US LP has the first note on the intro. "A New Flame" (Elektra 60828-1) The listed and the actual time (3:24)
The US commercial 45 doesn't have it. Also I feel the mix difference.
Nice finding, Ron and Aaron.

--abagon

Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version