Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Neneh Cherry "Buffalo Stance" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jebsib
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 October 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote jebsib

Anyone know what the name of the radio version was and if it exists on CD? Thank you!
Back to Top View jebsib's Profile Search for other posts by jebsib

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 04 October 2007 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

it was listed on the commercial cassingle issued as virgin 99231 as the (7" mix) and runs 4:02...i believe that version is commonly available on commercial cds

Edited by edtop40 on 06 October 2007 at 4:44pm

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2007 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Jebsib and Ed, my promo CD single (PRCD2646) has only one version on it. Like Ed's cassette, it is titled (7" mix). I have just timed it. It has a listed time of (4:08) and an actual time of (4:06). Is this another case of "those mysterious, faster-running cassettes?"
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2007 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

My stock 45, also labeled 7" Mix, has a label time of 4:05, but runs 4:02.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 October 2008 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It appears there was a 2nd promo CD for "Buffalo Stance," as I just picked it up. Here are the detals:

PRCD2726
1. Radio Edit (3:38 - listed and actual)
2. 7" Mix (4:07 - listed and actual)

As soon as I listened to track 1, I immediately recalled hearing this version before. Could it be the "neither" version listed on Only Soul? The "Radio Edit" starts with just some synthesizers (no drums) for 11 seconds, and the vocals start with the chorus ("He's looking good today / He's looking good in every way"). It completely skips the first verse. I think the remainder of the song is the same as the 7" Mix, but I haven't compared the two directly.

Edited by aaronk on 30 October 2008 at 2:50pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 October 2008 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

Aaron, I too have the PRCD2726 disc. The 3:38 Radio Edit is indeed similar to the version on Only Soul, but the version on O.S. has an extra measure on the synthesizer before the lyrics come in and an edit near the end of the song that brings its length back to being close to the promo Radio Edit version. For what it's worth, WLOL/Minneapolis played the Radio Edit back in the day.
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 30 October 2008 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial cassingle issued as virgin 99231 states on both the cardboard sleeve as well as the cassingle face the version contained there-in was/is the (7" mix) with a listed run time on the cassingles face only as 4:07 but actually runs 4:05.......

Edited by edtop40 on 31 October 2008 at 10:15am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 October 2008 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Mike, great info! Ed, thanks for the scans!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 October 2008 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

I remember a station I used to listen to played a "no rap" version. It cut out the 1st and 2nd (rap) verses but left in the first two choruses as well as the "what's he like" bridge. Maybe this is the "radio edit"?
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 November 2008 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Well, it's not the "Radio Edit" on my promo CD. Only the first verse is removed. Perhaps there was a third promo CD, or maybe some stations did a custom edit. The first verse definitely has the most questionable lyrics (although tame compared to today's standards). It's the one that talks about "padded bras / suckin' beer through straws," etc.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 November 2008 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I've seen a listing online for the 'Electro Ski Mix' that's listed as 3:38. No idea what it sounds like.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 November 2008 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I think that's on my 12" copy, and it's a completely different remix. I'll take a listen to my vinyl when I get a chance.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2019 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Okay question here, I have the Electro Ski Mix, The Radio Edit that was on a promo CD and the 7 inch mix (which Ed mentions is the official one). Which one would be the go-to one here, the radio edit? I prefer the radio edit honestly, because I remember hearing that one more so than either of the others. But others remember the Electro Ski Mix. Thoughts?

This also applies to the 14 versions of Listen to Your Heart by Roxette that one could listen to lol. I guess on that one I am in the small minority that actually likes the 7 inch UK edit that times in at about 4:06. Nice, neat and exactly something I would hear on radio. I don't ever recall hearing the 5:27 version just a FYI. Thoughts?

Edited by PopArchivist on 14 January 2019 at 11:05pm
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2019 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

The "Rock 40" I worked at in 1989 started out playing the version closest to the LP version with all rap intact, but when the alternate mix with less rap and more music arrived, we immediately switched to it.

Considering it had already run up the chart and I think was headed back down, it seemed silly to me, but I wasn't the PD...

I don't remember hearing the other top 40 station in town following suit, though. Pretty sure they always played the "regular" version, rap and all.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version