Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Eric Clapton - Tulsa Time Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 September 2007 at 1:38am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I am passing some information on directly from the guru of 45s, jimct. It appears that Whitburn lists Eric Clapton's "Tulsa Time" as RSO 1039, which is b/w the live version of "Cocaine." According to Jim, "Tulsa Time" on his stock 45 is the studio version, even though "Cocaine" is live on the flip side. On the contrary, the database says that the live version of "Tulsa Time" was the hit version.

Does anyone have any evidence that "Tulsa Time" was even issued as 45 in its live version?

As a side note, both of Jim's promo 45s for "Tulsa Time" (also the studio version) have catalog number RSO 928, which were issued several months before with the studio version of "Cocaine" on the flip side.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 September 2007 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Aaron:

This promo is currently on sale on ebay. Being the fact that it's from Just One Night, mostt likely it's the live version.

http://i15.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/ec/4c/00_2.JPG
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 September 2007 at 6:27am | IP Logged Quote jimct

First, I'd like to thank Aaron for this opening post. My confusion comes from the fact that my local Mom & Pop record store sold me the initial 1979 45 release of "Tulsa Time/Cocaine", featuring studio versions of both songs, a full year later, in 1980. I did not notice then that the RSO stock # I'd been sold was 928, not the hit RSO #, 1039. My Stak-O-Wax 45 reference book specifies that RSO 1039 has a "live" version of "Cocaine" (which the label intended to be the RSO 1039 A-side, but radio instead flipped it over, and played "Tulsa Time" instead), My book, which is a good, but not great source for such minute details, does not specify that the "Tulsa Time" side is "live" on the RSO 1039 45. Since it turns out now that I don't actually own the RSO 1039 "hit" 45 version after all, and I have no personal on-air memories of it (none of my local Top 40's played the song) my questions are: 1) Does the commercial 45 for RSO 1039 feature the live version or the studio version of "Tulsa Time"?, and, 2) Does anyone remember hearing a version of "Tulsa Time" on 1980 Top 40 radio, and if so, was the version you heard a live or a studio version?
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 September 2007 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Jim, the live version of "Tulsa Time" on RSO 1039 is the "hit" version. I heard it several times on the radio back in 1980. BTW, the LP version (from Just One Night) runs (4:00) and the 45 runs (3:12). I posted on this a long time ago, I'll bump up that message.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 September 2007 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

In addition, the LP versions has the beginning notes of the next track at the very end before it fades out.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

bdpop
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 September 2007 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote bdpop

I used to have the promo of Tulsa Time and it had the live version of that song on both sides. I do not remember if it was stereo/mono or stereo/stereo; as some labels by that time had stereo on both sides of the promo single. Cocaine was not on my promo.
Back to Top View bdpop's Profile Search for other posts by bdpop

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 September 2007 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Thanks a million for all the help, Mr. Haney, eriejwg and bdpop! Been swamped this week, so my good-hearted buddy Aaron did me a quick favor and started this "Tulsa Time" post for me; I know neither of us intended to create a second thread for the same song! :)
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 September 2007 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks for helping clear that up. When Jim sent me a dub of his "Tulsa Time" 45, I mistakenly thought it was RSO 1039. I now realize that his only copies are of the earlier pressing. Sorry to create confusion in the first place!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 September 2011 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

Can the 45 version of "Tulsa Time" be created from the LP?
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2017 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

This has been asked a couple times. Can the 3:12 live 45
version be recreated?

Edit points, please? :)

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2017 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I'd forgotten I had a RSO 1039 silver labeled 45 with
Cocaine on the flip.

To recreate the 3:13 (actual) 45 version, using the
Just One Night album as the source.

Delete from the first hint of fade in applause (00.000
to 46.496)

With what you have left, place a fade from 3:07 to
3:13.

The ending applause ends at 3:13 just before the
opening guitar of the next song at 3:13.5.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2017 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Start your fade at 3:06 actually to 3:13.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version