Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Whodini - Freaks Come Out At Night Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 26 September 2007 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

With Halloween approaching in a month, this song came to mind today. I have the LP version which runs 4:44 or so. Can anyone tell me how long the 45 version is?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I was able to re-create the 45 version from the LP on this classic Whodini track, but it was VERY tricky. There are sections from the middle of the song pasted onto the beginning to make the 45, and there are lots of edits. I'll give you the run time when I get home, but it's in the neighborhood of 3 1/2 minutes.

-Your resident classic hip-hop expert
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The 45 version is 3:29.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 May 2012 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Since this is another "below the top 40" question, I thought I might tag it on here:

Billboard listed Whodini as hitting the Hot 100 with "Friends / Five Minutes Of Funk."

When I go to Discogs, I see "Five Minutes Of Funk" was the "A" side and "Friends" was the "B" side.

(I also found ONE 7" with "Friends" on the "A" side and "Friends (instrumental)" on the "B" side.)

Did BOTH sides chart, was Billboard confused, or...? What happened here, and if I wanted to play the charting single(s), which side(s) would I play?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 May 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Yes, Gene, both sides charted. But it's not like Hit Radio played both sides in heavy rotation. It was a major sales hit (especially the 12" single) & dealers reported customers asking for each side.

Both tracks were major hits in not-reporting clubs which stimulated the charting of the tracks.

Andy

Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 May 2012 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Thanks for the info, Andy. Am I right that if hit radio played either side, they played "Friends" more?

BTW, the 7" edit is an easy creation from the album version:

Chop off the opening 16 seconds so the song starts on the bass downbeat of "1."

Then, chop it right before the word "further" (leave "before we go any...") at 3:53.

My copy seems to have about a 16 second fade, so start your fade about 3:36 for an exact match.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 May 2012 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To Gene:

Yes, I would hazard a guess that "Friends" got more spins on Hit Radio than "Five Minutes Of Funk". But still very little play.

The play that "Five Minutes Of Funk" received was a few major-market urban stations which (probably) reached a decent-sized Audience.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Aaron's right; this one appears deceptively easy at first but ends up with copying the first chorus into the intro and chopping at the end of a word instead of on a beat at one point.

My edit is based on the VEVO YouTube video, which appears to match the single version:

Delete 0:04 to 0:18 (on the beat)

Remove 0:06 to 0:13 (on the beat)

Paste first chorus at 0:52 (first the first beat after the first "freaks come out at night")

Remove 2:27 to 2:37 (On the cymbal crash before the beat)

Remove 2:37 to 2:46 (starting with "Get loose, y'all..." and ending with "...let it all hang out.") (This one's especially tricky because you have to trim at the cymbal beat tightly at the end of "out" and on "Get." It is an awkward sounding cut, to me.)

Remove 2:41 to 2:46 ("..hoyt?" Not sure what the word is, to "...deserve to be a..." but it's on the beat)

Remove 3:00 to 3:05 (on the beat)

Remove 3:10 to 3:19 (on the beat)

Delete 3:29 to end and fade to taste.

I hope this helps somebody!

Edited by NightAire on 11 October 2017 at 5:10pm

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version