Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Jackson 5-"I Am Love" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 September 2007 at 5:33am | IP Logged Quote jimct

This song has always puzzled me. None of the many Top 40 stations I listened to back in 1975 played this, so I have no real personal memories for it. Both my commercial and promo 45s have listed times of (5:30), and then (2:26) for the flip, "Pt. II". But the actual time for my (5:30) promo is (5:26), while (5:29) is the actual time for my commercial copy. As for the listed (2:26) "Pt. II" side actual times, it runs (2:55) on my promo, and (2:56) on my commercial copy. Since both commercial 45 sides also appear on my promo, does anyone remember which version may have received Top 40 airplay in their area? Or is it possible that a 2nd promo 45 exists, with the "main" version side perhaps being issued in a shorter length than the listed (5:30) promo 45 I have? Also, since it was also included on the promo 45, did radio stations possibly play the "Pt. II" version instead, as a shorter alternative? Currently, all but one CD in the database features the entire (7:26/7:28) LP version, with the other CD including a "Part 2 but :20 longer" version, so there's really not much else for me to go on at this point.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 September 2007 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Jim:

Like you, not many memories of this song here locally. The only station that MAY have played it for a short period of time was WJET. But, in 1975, after bringing Sandy Beach in as PD in '74, were speeding their songs up (remember those days?) and not sure if the long version of this would have been played. Perhaps, side 2.

Maybe Bill Cahill or Gary Mack can shed some light on the mystery. Though, it's doubtful any major markets would have touched this song if a small market like Erie, PA may not have.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 September 2007 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I can assure you that WLS in Chicago played it, since it made the Big 89 year-end countdown for 1975. Unfortunately, I don't remember which side of the single they carted up.

Ed had sent me a copy of his A-side awhile back--the "Part I" is a bit of a misnomer, as the A-side is an edit of the full version, not a fade.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My 45 says "Jackson 5", so when I searched topics back in '07, Doug's
original thread did not appear, as he used "Jackson Five". Thought I'd bump
this song thread up for you as well, Santi, as this song has always confused
me.......
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Thanks Jim. Maybe Bill Or Gary will see this one now and
chime in. My guess is the shorter Part 2 was the one that
got played in '75 (an aircheck would sure help).

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I thought I had a DJ copy but I don't. I barely remember hearing it on the radio so I'm not sure which side got the most airplay.

Edited by Bill Cahill on 06 March 2013 at 8:03pm
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Online
Posted: 18 January 2017 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just finished creating edits of both sides of the 45. It would be tricky to create the edit of Part 1 based on a written set of instructions. There are multiple edits, and some are only a couple seconds apart. PM me if you need a copy.

Part II, by the way, is also included on the A-side almost in it's entirety. The Part II segment starts at 3:10 of the A-side and is edited in the same places; however, it continues on for an additional 38 seconds past the fade out of the A-side.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version