Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: U2 - "Desire" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 September 2007 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I found that the true 45 plays faster than the common CD version I'd been using for years.

The true US 45 plays at about 108.6 BPM, with an actual time of about 2:57.

The version on the compilation Gold & Platinum Volume Five (Realm 1CD 7898, 1989) plays about 1.2% slower than the true 45 - about 107.3 BPM, with an actual time of about 2:59.

A compilation that plays the true 45 version at the correct speed is Now 1988 (Virgin EMI PolyGram UK 8 27074 2, released 1993), which plays at about 108.6 BPM, with an actual time of about 2:57.

I seem to remember a 3" CD single being released for "Desire", but I'm not 100% certain.

Strangely enough, my radio promo-only collection The A-List has a horrendous 5:23 remix on it, which never got any airplay in 1988. It opens with sirens and other sound effects, and it's pretty terrible. Does anyone know where this came from?
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 September 2007 at 12:56am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

crapfromthepast wrote:

Strangely enough, my radio promo-only collection The A-List has a horrendous 5:23 remix on it, which never got any airplay in 1988. It opens with sirens and other sound effects, and it's pretty terrible. Does anyone know where this came from?

That is the "Hollywood Remix" which was released in 1988. It was remixed by Louil Silas Jr. and Taavi Mote, in case you wish to sue them ; )

It appeared on the various "Desire" 12" vinyl and CD single configurations around the world.
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 September 2007 at 1:13am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Johann is correct about the mix being called the "Hollywood Remix." It ranks as one of my favorite '80s remixes (sorry CFTP), and there was even a separate video that got airplay on MTV. I don't recall hearing it on my top 40 station, though.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 September 2007 at 5:23am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

aaronk wrote:
It ranks as one of my favorite '80s remixes (sorry CFTP), and there was even a separate video that got airplay on MTV.

Well, I stand corrected! I didn't even know there was a 12" for the song! Plus I never had MTV, so I missed all the videos, too. I had just assumed this was an after-the-fact remix from the '90s, not an at-the-time remix from 1988.

I'll have to listen to it again with fresh ears...
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 September 2007 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

I never heard the 12" remix on top 40 either, although I do remember hearing it on the radio a year or two later when I began listening to the local rock and modern rock stations.
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 September 2007 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast:

On the parent U2 Rattle and Hum CD, "Desire" runs 2:57 just like the 45 run time you report. So are you saying the 45 runs faster than the CD/LP, even though both basically share the same run time? If so, then am I correct to conclude that the 45 takes slightly longer to fade out than the CD/LP?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 September 2007 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I don't have the Rattle And Hum CD, but I have no reason to suspect that it would be any different from the 45.

My comment above was just to point out that "Desire" on the particular compilation Gold & Platinum Vol. 5 runs unusually slow, and I used the 45 for reference. It's odd to find such large pitch/tempo variations on a late '80s track, so I thought it was noteworthy.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 05 September 2007 at 10:00am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version