Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Dr. Hook - "Girls Can Get It" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 August 2007 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Okay, this time it wasn't Wounded Bird, lol. It seems that no one else here has mentioned yet that still another top 40 hit from the '80s has just made its first appearance on a U.S. CD: Dr. Hook's 1980 (ahem) classic, "Girls Can Get It". That's because six days ago (July 31), Capitol released what is by far the best Dr. Hook collection ever released in the U.S. to date, "Greatest Hooks". (Note the wordplay - although they fixed it about a week ago, Amazon originally had it mistitled "Greatest Hits", as did at least one other on-line retailer's site that I checked last month!) Catalog no. is 09463 95766 2 3...

I've bought the CD myself, and "Girls Can Get It" runs (3:13) on it, although Whitburn's "Pop Annual" claims the 45 version clocks in at (3:17). (Perhaps Pat, edtop40, or jimct can double-check that timing on the stock copies they have, since that is a difference of more than three seconds, lol.)

It is also worth noting that the 20-track "Greatest Hooks" features all 10 of the group's top 40 hits (by Pat's standards, anyway), including their earliest on Columbia, as well as their other '80s hit for Casablanca, "Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk". Of course, the latter makes only its second appearance ever on a U.S. CD (actual timing is [3:40]; Whitburn states [3:39] for the 45). Hopefully in the near future, Pat will post a more detailed review of this CD here on the site; it's certainly worthy, IMHO...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 August 2007 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

80smusicfreak, thanks for the tip, and I'll be shortly picking up that CD myself. And this just in, from "Timing Central." My commercial 45 has a listed time of (3:17), but an actual time of (3:14), so its (3:13) CD length is certainly "acceptable."
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 August 2007 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat, I've noticed all of those new "box set" database additions you've entered of late, and I can tell you've been workin' like a dog, as usual, out there in Boulder; I've been swamped of late myself. Just a quick note that there were probably at least of couple of new details, contained within this thread, that should perhaps be added to the database, whenever you happen to get a spare moment. Thanks as always, sir.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version