Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Varese Vintage Records Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Carye
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 27 July 2007 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Carye

Out Of Print Varese Vintage CDs

Varese Vintage Records has just issued the new CD by John Phillips “Jack Of Diamonds.” It is the second release in the ongoing “Papa John Phillips Presents” album series, following last year’s acclaimed reissue of his 1970 debut solo album, “John, The Wolfking Of L.A.” Although the album was never completed, “Jack of Diamonds” contains an approximation of what it might have been. The unreleased 13-song album, plus five bonus tracks, has been assembled into a new, never-before-heard compilation from original session recordings that were recently located.

We are currently working on further John Phillips releases, including “Space (Man On The Moon)” set for release later this year, and The Rolling Stones sessions “Half Stoned” scheduled for sometime in 2008.

Also, Varese Sarabande Records is now selling limited quantities of out of print Varese Vintage titles on the Varese Sarabande web site.

The list of available titles is located on the Varese Vintage blog.
www.varesevintage.wordpress.com

Cary Mansfield

bdpop
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 July 2007 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote bdpop

I was wondering if Varese Vintage planned on reviving the Dick Bartley On the Radio series. It was a great series.
Back to Top View bdpop's Profile Search for other posts by bdpop

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 July 2007 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

or the Barry Scott series. A lot of people have told me they'd like to see more volumes of those.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 July 2007 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Either the Barry Scott or Dick Bartley series gave us correct single versions.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

bdpop
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 July 2007 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote bdpop

Yes, I forgot about the Barry Scott CDs. Those were great too. We need more of this kind of CD series, rather than rehash the same old stuff again and again.
Back to Top View bdpop's Profile Search for other posts by bdpop

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 July 2007 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

I agree. Both Barry Scott CDs gave us so many "lost 45s" (sorry, couldn't resist). I would gladly buy any more in that series.
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I spoke to Cary M at Varese today - he said they won't be doing any more "Dick Bartley" or "Barry Scott" CDs. There just aren't enough stores that would stock them -- plus production costs for compilation CDs make it prohibitive. For instance, Warner Brothers recently increased their rates to license songs by 50%.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Thanks for the update on Varese...they still seem to have some very good product!
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

EdisonLite wrote:
For instance, Warner Brothers recently increased their rates to license songs by 50%.

Sigh....that much more money that they're not paying to the artists.....

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 August 2007 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

EdisonLite wrote:
I spoke to Cary M at Varese today - he said they won't be doing any more "Dick Bartley" or "Barry Scott" CDs. There just aren't enough stores that would stock them -- plus production costs for compilation CDs make it prohibitive. For instance, Warner Brothers recently increased their rates to license songs by 50%.

Ah, but I'm happy to report that that doesn't mean all hope is lost, at least in the case of Barry Scott's "Lost 45s" series of CDs. :-) Perhaps I should've posted this here sooner, as I've already known for a couple of years now about Barry no longer being associated w/ Varese Sarabande...

I, too, am a huge fan of Barry's radio show & CD series. And since I currently live in New England, and Barry is based out of Boston - where he also hosts/dj's evening cruises out on Boston Harbor a few times during the summer months each year - I made a day-trip to Beantown and took one of the cruises he appeared on in 2005...

Needless to say, he had most of the crowd moving to '70s and '80s dance hits on the top deck for several hours, and afterward, I went up and spoke to him for 3-4 minutes. After showing him my copy of the "Vol. 1" CD and having him sign the front cover, the first thing I asked him was when we'd see more, lol. He said there WERE more volumes in the works, at least at that time. And the funny thing was, he went out of his way to say that the new ones would no longer be on Varese - although he didn't specify what label. And who knows, perhaps they'll only be available through his web site, www.lost45.com. So there's still a very good chance there'll be more. :-) (Can't speak for Dick Bartley, though...)

I think the thing that surprised me the most about seeing/meeting Barry in person was realizing that he's only in his mid 40s - or just a few years older than me, lol. (And that bodes well for more '70s and '80s hits, which is what I'm primarily after; I don't collect much from the '50s or '60s - or at least not the more obscure or "lost" hits, anyway...)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2007 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I too would love to see more volumes in the Barry Scott Lost 45s of the '70s and '80s series. The first two were superbly well done. As for Dick Bartley, it looks like he's now affiliated with Eric Records, as evidenced by the label's 2004 release Dick Bartley Presents: Classic Oldies 1965-1969 (Eric 11525).
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version