Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: New Hot 100 methodology debuts on 8/11 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 24 July 2007 at 4:32am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

With the digital explosion since downloads were first factored into the Hot 100 in early 2005, Billboard feels it's time to adjust the formula again.

The new formula will be roughly 40% sales, 55% airplay, and, for the first time, 5% on-demand streaming media from sites like Yahoo and AOL. (Not that I understand exactly what streaming media is... Internet radio stations?)

In addition, for the first time all monitored stations will be included in the Hot 100 formula, whether the stations report to a specific format or not. (This will also include the Country stations removed from the Country panel for playing too many recurrents.) But, of course, recurrent songs will not be counted in the Hot 100.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 July 2007 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Did the article indicate what the current percentages (since the 2005 formula) are for sales and airplay? Have sales been at 50%? 40%?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 July 2007 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

It's actually not an article -- it's a blurb from someone who I think works for Billboard.

They said that the airplay/sales ratio has changed dramatically (and unintentionally) over the past two years because of the downloads explosion, that the ratio is currently 60%-70% sales to 30%-40% airplay. Which is not what they ever intended... downloads were given double weight when the Hot 100 was reformulated in 2005, because they weren't that popular yet.

Personally, I think 70-sales to 30-airplay is a great ratio. But I don't pay much attention to any chart except Hot Digital Songs anymore, anyway.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version