Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: cover girls "we can’t go wrong" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 July 2007 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

cover girls "we can't go wrong"

pat.....my commercial cassette single issued as capitol 44498 has the first track with NO description and the second track as the "edit" version.....this is incorrect.....the first version is actually the edit version running 4:25 and the second track is actually the LP version running 5:12......you may want to note this in the db......in fact, according to billboard magazine from the time, there was only a cassette single issued for the song and no other format....

Edited by edtop40 on 07 September 2009 at 3:41pm

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 July 2007 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

there was a promo 45 (7PRO-79867) that featured the lp version on both sides...
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2007 at 5:19am | IP Logged Quote torcan

cmmmbase wrote:
there was a promo 45 (7PRO-79867) that featured the lp version on both sides...

Yes, I've got that one too, and the likely reason it was never listed was that is was a promo single only. Billboard usually only listed what was available commercially on their charts.

Intersting note about the Capitol promos from that time: it was in mid-1989 that Capitol starting releasing many chart singles on cassette-only, but a lot of them still had a promo-only vinyl.

Most of them are very hard to find. I've personally come across promos from artists like Queen, Billy Squier, Carole King, Paebo Bryson, Dan Seals and Sawyer Brown, just to name a few. However, there's an MC Hammer one I've been looking for for years and it seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth :(

Anyway, they're kind of neat to have. I believe Capitol did over 100 of them from '89-91 that weren't available commercially - many of them country.

In 1992, Capitol started releasing them commercially again, with the distinction "for jukeboxes only".

Edited by torcan on 19 July 2007 at 5:20am
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2007 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

We have two different promo 45s for this one:

Capitol 79867: (5:14) version on each side
Capitol 79884: Side A (4:25) / Side B (5:14)

It looks like we got almost all of those Capitol promo 45s back then, probably from a label contact. I'd say since the (4:25) was the first cut on the cassette single and one of the promo 45s has it as well, that's the "45 version".
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 November 2007 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The "45 version" is pretty hard to find on CD. I have it on Body Talk - Once In A Lifetime (Time-Life R834-15, 1997, actual run time of 4:25), but that's not exactly a common CD. The exact title on the CD is "We Can't Go Wrong (Edit)", which is an odd thing to see on a Time-Life disc.

I also have the LP version on Rock On - 1989 (Cema Special Markets S21-18695/ROK-2-1989, 1996, actual run time of 5:13). This CD runs 0.2% faster than the Time-Life disc.

Here are instructions for creating the 45 edit from the LP version, based on times from Rock On - 1989:

Keep the first 8 beats from 0:00.0-0:06.9.
Edit on downbeat.
Remove the 16 beats from 0:06.9-0:20.3.
Keep the 9-1/2 beats from 0:20.3-0:28.4.
Edit between beats (see next step).
Remove the 8 beats from 0:28.4-0:35.1.
Edit at beginning of drum fill, which is between beats.
Keep the 98-1/2 beats from 0:35.1-1:57.2.
Edit on downbeat.
Remove the 8 beats from 1:57.2-2:03.9.
Keep the 156 beats from 2:03.9-4:14.2.
Edit on downbeat in middle of word "wrong".
Remove the 24 beats from 4:14.2-4:34.3.
Keep 4:34.3-5:16.8 (end) of LP version.

After the edits, you can optionally slow down the whole thing by 0.2%, although you really won't hear much of a difference if you don't.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 March 2009 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

For what it's worth, I came across a promo CD single and picked it up.

DPRO-79883
1. Edit
2. LP Version
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2009 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Why was it so important that Columbia and Capitol (and others) release 45s in the 1990s ONLY for jukeboxes? To clarify, why was it so important a priority to the labels that I, "Joe Blow Jody" be not able to access a vinyl copy? After all, I always said at the time to myself that if a label won't make vinyl availability a priority - then I just won't buy. Wouldn't they rather any sale than no sale?

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2009 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hi Jody,

I *believe* the 'FOR JUKEBOXES ONLY' designation was strictly a way that record companies could avoid paying mechanical royalties/publishing on a format that wasn't profitable (kinda like promo copies or record club issues).

Of course the 'FOR JUKEBOXES ONLY' releases were sold by one-stops and specialty record stores to anyone with no proof of Jukebox License required...

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version