Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Roxy Music "Love is the Drug" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 July 2007 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I only have the LP version of this song, which is about 9 seconds longer than the 45. I edited out the 9 seconds of footsteps at the beginning and have something that matches the timing of the single version. Is this the single version, or were there mix differences, or was a different 9 seconds edited out?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 July 2007 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

The version I have is from Sound Of The Seventies - 1976: Take Two and is listed as a 45 version in the database. No footsteps at the beginning at starts with music. Run time is 3:56.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 July 2007 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Ok, then that narrows down the possiblities to two.

Does anyone know if the track itself was remixed?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2009 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Just got in a promo 45 for this song. In doing some comparisons, I noticed that there are 4 footsteps on the short side of the promo before the car door opens. Then, in comparing it to a digital copy of the LP version, which also has footsteps, on the promo 45, the footsteps sound like they're running to the vehicle. On the LP version, the footsteps sound like they're walking slowly to the vehicle before opening the door.

The 2 are identical afterwards up to 2:58 or so, where the promo begins the fade on the "ohhh..." and is completely gone after the words "...drug for me."

Only way to recreate the short version is paste the footsteps in from the promo to a digital copy and fade in the same spot as mentioned above.

Edited by eriejwg on 20 May 2009 at 2:20pm
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2009 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

The actual run time of the short version on the promo 45 is 3:03.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 May 2009 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

For those of you that own the original vinyl LP that this song is on, what's type of footsteps are on the LP? Running or walking?

Wow, it comes down to this sometimes, LOL.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 May 2009 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

If my research is correct, "Love Is the Drug" appeared on Roxy Music's 1975 vinyl LP Siren on the Atco label. Hopefully, someone can take the baton from here and determine what kind of footprints are on the vinyl LP.

Nice investigative work so far, John!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

If I take the 3:56 single version on CD and fade to 3:03, will I have the dj version with the exception of the wrong footsteps? I'm not so particular that I care if the footsteps are running or walking, but I basically want a 3:03 version that's close to the dj 3:03 version. So other than the wrong footsteps, will there be anything else wrong with the version I create (like, is there an edit I don't know about)?

Bwci Bo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 January 2015 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote Bwci Bo

I'm a little bit confused about this one:

The database states that the correct 45 version is the version that appears on Sound Of The Seventies - 1976: Take Two. It begins with a brief guitar sound followed by some bass notes.

While I was on vacation, I picked up what I think is a US commercial 45 (on the yellow and white ATCO label). The 45 begins with the sound of a car door opening, immediately before the guitar and bass kick in.

The label on my 45 is identical to this one.

Any thoughts?
Back to Top View Bwci Bo's Profile Search for other posts by Bwci Bo

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 January 2015 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 starts with the car door opening as
well and runs 3:56 even though the label lists the run time
as 3:58....

Edited by edtop40 on 11 January 2015 at 5:14pm

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 January 2015 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

eriejwg wrote:
Just got in a promo 45 for this song. In doing some comparisons, I noticed that there are 4 footsteps on the short side of the promo before the car door opens.

----------

The actual run time of the short version on the promo 45 is 3:03.

John, are you sure your DJ 45 is a U.S. Atco 7042 pressing? I have two short/long DJ 45s; one is a Specialty pressing, the other is a Plastic Products attempt at pressing (there's so much coarse regrind in the vinyl aggregate, it looks like the Rocky Mountains rising out of the Great Plains. You can guess what that must sound like in stereo... on a promo copy, no less!)

In addition, I have nine Plastic Products-pressed stock copies, some of which merely resemble the Appalachians.

There are no footsteps on any of them, including the short and long sides of the DJ 45s. They all begin with the car door opening, the guitar strum and the bass notes as described above.

The actual time of my Specialty short DJ 45 is 3:01. I'm not about to sacrifice a stylus to play the other one beyond the first few seconds, which has no footsteps. Mortar rounds, yes, but no footsteps. ;)   

Edited by Yah Shure on 11 January 2015 at 7:53pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 January 2015 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I am really embarassed. 8 years after receiving a
copy of the U.S. Atco 7042 Promo 45, I just gave it a
re-listen. What I thought was footsteps heading
to open up the car door was really vinyl noise on the
45. So, I retract my statements about footsteps. No
footsteps, just a car door opening at the very
beginning.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 January 2015 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

And, the run time of the side labeled short version on
my Atco Promo 7042 is actually
3:01. Sorry again for 8 years of confusion.

Edited by eriejwg on 11 January 2015 at 10:13pm

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 January 2015 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Hah! John, your DJ 45 wouldn't by chance have a little "-PL" suffix after the label's matrix number, would it? :)
There's no telling how much your "rare" footsteps DJ 45 might fetch on ebay. :)

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 January 2015 at 12:02am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

You are correct, sir! There is a PL suffix after the
matrix number.

Bwci Bo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 January 2015 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote Bwci Bo

Excuse my ignorance, but what does the PL suffix indicate?

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 January 2015 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

In order to keep shipping costs as low as possible, Atlantic Records contracted with strategically located independent pressing plants, each serving specific regions and population centers of the U.S. For 45s, these were the three primary plants used at the time of the "Love Is The Drug" single, as identified by their printed label matrix number suffixes:

SP - Specialty Records, Olyphant, Pennsylvania. Covered the eastern and northeastern states. Deadwax symbol: the letters "R" and "C" machine stamped inside a large "S".

PL - Plastic Products, Memphis, Tennessee. Also operated a larger plant at the time in Coldwater, Mississippi. Covered the central states of the south, the midwest and upper midwest. Deadwax symbols weren't consistently used, but on "Love Is The Drug," the letters "PP" are hand-etched in the vinyl.

MO - Monarch Records, Los Angeles, California. Covered the western and southwestern states. Deadwax symbol: the connected letters "M" and "R" inside a circle, resembling a cattle brand or ranch logo.

Specialty and Plastic Products 45s were pressed on vinyl, with Monarch opting for styrene. Specialty pressings were, as a general rule, quieter than those from Plastic Products, whose output was often hit and miss, ranging from dead quiet to phantom footsteps to mountainous terrain. Monarch's styrene was far less durable than vinyl, but was quiet when brand new.    

Specialty and Monarch also pressed Atco LPs. Plastic Products was strictly a manufacturer of singles and closed up shop in 1977. PRC ("RI"), based in Richmond, Indiana, took their place in 1977, producing styrene 45s of a markedly inferior quality compared to those from Monarch.

Each plant (or an affiliated firm, in the case of Monarch) did its own label copy typesetting, thus the font styles and sizes and placements do vary between the three.

Edited by Yah Shure on 12 January 2015 at 7:49pm

Bwci Bo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 January 2015 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Bwci Bo

Thanks for the comprehensive response, John. That's really interesting and useful to know. I've never paid too much attention to matrix numbers and deadwax etchings before, because I never really understood what they meant.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version