Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: james last band "the seduction" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 June 2007 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

james last band "the seduction (love theme)"

my commercial 45 issued as polydor 2071 states a run time of 3:35 but actually runs 3:33.....the 45 version is identical to the version from the cd below except it is faded out to the 3:33 mark while the cd version below runs 0:04 longer....

1980 - THE SEDUCTION (LOVE THEME)    
(S) (3:37) Polygram Special Markets 314520273 Great Instrumental Hits 50's - 80's   

the commercial 45 version has the sax version.....there was another version which i have on cdr that i got from somewhere which has the piano version and has quite a faster beat to it and runs 3:15.....does anyone have any info as to where this piano version originated from.....which version was on the movie soundtrack "american gigolo" and which one wasn't......i believe the piano version was on the movie soundtrack.....can anyone confirm me hunch???

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 June 2007 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Ed, although James Last only had one U.S. Top 40 hit, this veteran German instrumentalist has put out many, many albums, over many years, especially in Europe. "The Seduction" happened to be a personal favorite of mine, and I remember seeing the "American Gigolo" movie, back when it was a current flick. If they had used anything other than the hit sax version, 1) I would have DEFINITELY noticed it, and, 2) I would have been VERY upset about it. Considering the movie's storyline, the inclusion of a sax for that particular song, within a strongly sexually-themed movie, is almost a given here, considering the long-standing film relationship between the saxophone and "steamy" intimate activity. James Last has put out at least five other LPs/CDs since 1980. No doubt, with the "Gigolo" film producers no longer there to possibly "strongly encourage" him, for movie purposes, to prominently feature the sax in the song, he has almost certainly opted for the "later, alternate, piano" mix that you have gotten from somewhere, Ed. You're a very good "hunch" guy, my friend, but this time I believe that your gut feeling is not true, I'm sorry to say.

Edited by jimct on 18 June 2007 at 11:49pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 5:33am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

jim...thanks for your insight as usual but i think my hunch my be corrrect.....i just checked allmusic.com and there is an "american gigolo" soundtrack listed with that song on it running 3:13.....which is the same time as the piano version that i have on cdr.....i may have bought and subsequently sold the "american gigolo" cd after coping it and failed to id where i got it from.....i've listed the info from the allmusic.com website, including the full track listing....does anyone have the original 1980 issued cd or the import version to confirm that the piano version WAS the version from the soundtrack....

American Gigolo [Original Soundtrack]
Original Soundtrack Send to Friend

Available On:
Priced from $3.99 to $24.99
See all 5 sellers

Artist

Original Soundtrack

Album

American Gigolo [Original Soundtrack]

Rating

Release Date

Label

PolyGram

Time

36:53

Type

Soundtrack

Genre Styles
Soundtrack
Pop/Rock

Products
Books

AMG Album ID

R    84177

Corrections to this Entry?

Review by Lindsay Planer
While this soundtrack is arguably most notable for introducing Middle America to Blondie, there is also some interesting incidental music written by legendary producer Giorgio Moroder and performed by Harold Faltermeyer and Keith Forsey — the latter of which may be familiar to some as percussionist for the German prog/art rock collective Amon Düül. There is likewise a vocal contribution from actress/vocalist Cheryl Barnes on "Love and Passion." The album's pervading heavily manufactured and synthetically generated atmosphere is convincing in its aural depiction of the shallow decadence portrayed on the screen. It took almost two decades before American Gigolo was issued on CD in North America. The primary impetus for the release was the "extended version" of Blondie's "Call Me," which was unavailable on any Blondie album and was too long — at over eight minutes — to fit onto a single. The song was co-composed by Debbie Harry and Moroder specifically for this project, becoming the second chart-topper for the band, ultimately staying at number one for six weeks in March of 1980. The film's writer/director Paul Schrader — whose lengthy list of cinematic endeavors include Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, The Last Temptation of Christ, and The Mosquito Coast — is credited on the soundtrack as Moroder's collaborator on the up-tempo "Love and Passion." Vocalist Cheryl Barnes — who may be best-remembered for her role in Milos Forman's Hair as "Hud's girlfriend" — contributes vocals to the mostly forgettable track. The other six instrumentals blend a noir ambience with the utility of background music. The most notable is "Hello Mr. W.A.M" — whose initials stand for Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart — which contains some interesting observations on his Concerto for Clarinet in A Major. Each work contains strong themes that take on lives of their own. This is not surprising given the heady talent behind the compositions and performances. Consumers of movie music will find as much — if not more — to enjoy here than those who are simply looking for "Call Me."

Tracks

Title   
Performer   
Time   

1 Call Me [Theme from American Gigolo] Blondie 8:09
       2 Love and Passion Cheryl Barnes 5:51
       3 Night Drive     3:54
       4 Hello Mr. W.A.M. (Finale)     4:36
       5 The Apartment     4:31
       6 Palm Springs Drive     3:25
       7 Night Drive (Reprise)     2:52
       8 The Seduction (Love Theme)     3:13

indicates Track Pick

Releases
Year   
Type   
Label   
Catalog #   

2001   PolyGram 813632
1980   Polydor 813 632
CS Polydor 813632-4
1998 CD Polygram International 551103
2001 CD Polygram 813632

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Ed,
I can confirm your hunch. I have the "American Gigolo" soundtrack LP. It has the shorter piano version.

In 1980, I had bought the album first, to get the long version of "Call Me". Later when they released the 45 of Seduction I noticed immediately it was a completely different version on the 45 with all the sax....
I do not know which recording or mix they used in the film itself, though.
Wouldn't surprise me a bit if the soundtrack album version is somehow different from the film, a practice which irritates me to this day.

-MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Sorry for the bum steer, Ed, and thanks, MMathews, for the great info. It never even occured to me that a "Soundtrack" version could be different from the version they used in the film. Isn't that the entire point of releasing a "Soundtrack" LP? To be able to re-hear what we just watched? - makes NO sense to me. I do know that re-recording/re-mixing happened frequently if a 45 version was gonna be issued, like with B.J. Thomas' "Raindrops...". Good stuff, guys!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2008 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version