Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Stevie Wonder - A Place In The Sun Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 June 2007 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Just learned and confirmed by listening that this 45 runs longer, which means all shorter stereo versions are "LP length". The mono single is on "The Complete Motown Singles, Vol. 6: 1966" and runs about 3:08.

Edited by davidclark on 04 June 2007 at 7:00am

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 June 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote jimct

David, you are correct. My 1966 commercial 45, which is mono, has a listed time of (2:59), but an actual time of (3:09).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 June 2007 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

By the way, all the "Complete Motown Singles" sets (except Vol. 5 for some reason) are available in full-CD quality (Windows Media Lossless) on the MusicGiants website, downloadable by individual track. So for anyone who only wants some of the songs on these sets, that's an option for you.

They are DRM'd, just like iTunes, but you can burn them to CD as an audio file up to five times. (And I think that gets rid of the DRM on the CD copy.) Tracks are $1.29 each. They are in the lossless compression format, meaning, true CD quality, so each track is like 35 to 50 megabytes.

There's a link to MusicGiants through Windows Media Player 10 and 11. The sucky thing about that company is you have to put $20 into your account at a time. But they do have pretty good customer service... all queries are answered within 24 hours. Plus, no software to download on your computer -- you just use it through your Windows Media Player.

For someone like me, who's trying to collect all the B-sides as well, it's certainly saved me a lot of money.

Edited by Brian W. on 05 June 2007 at 6:26pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 June 2007 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Brian W. wrote:
By the way, all the "Complete Motown Singles" sets (except Vol. 5 for some reason) are available in full-CD quality (Windows Media Lossless) on the MusicGiants website, downloadable by individual track. So for anyone who only wants some of the songs on these sets, that's an option for you.

They are DRM'd, just like iTunes, but you can burn them to CD as an audio file up to five times. (And I think that gets rid of the DRM on the CD copy.) Tracks are $1.29 each. They are in the lossless compression format, meaning, true CD quality, so each track is like 35 to 50 megabytes.

There's a link to MusicGiants through Windows Media Player 10 and 11. The sucky thing about that company is you have to put $20 into your account at a time. But they do have pretty good customer service... all queries are answered within 24 hours. Plus, no software to download on your computer -- you just use it through your Windows Media Player.

For someone like me, who's trying to collect all the B-sides as well, it's certainly saved me a lot of money.

Wow, thanks for the tip!!! I just signed up and downloaded "I'm Wondering" from Volume 7. Nice to have the mono version of this without paying $100+, and in lossless format to boot.

I haven't had a chance to browse much yet, but it appears they have a fair selection. Nowhere as extensive as iTunes, but definitely worth the $20 minimum.

Thanks again!
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 June 2007 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Yeah, Volume 7 was just added today, Roscoe. (Oh, and those Madonna "Hung Up" remix/edits I lamented in my discography were only available on iTunes... they're there also. So is the previously vinyl-only "Whitney Houston: Dance Vault Mixes.")

After some initial reservations, I've been pretty happy with MusicGiants. The lack of printable artwork is a minus, but they may be changing that. They sent out emails a few weeks ago asking for suggestions for improvement, and that was one I made (also to go to charge-by-track, instead of the $20 at-a-time thing). I was told they'd be revamping their website within the next few weeks, so maybe those will be changes they make.

Tip: If you can't find a title listed by artist, try looking by title. I've run across several albums that were mislabeled "Various Artists."
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version