Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Sixpence None the Richer Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 May 2005 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

On the promo single of Sixpence None the Richer's "There She Goes", track 1 is "album mix" and track 2 is "remix". Is the "remix" considered the single version? Pat's book (the 9th edition) lists 2 CDs with this song but does not indicate a comment like "album version", so I'm not sure which version on the promo is actually considered the single version. For those interested, the remix is a significantly clearer mix than the album mix -- I'm not sure if any additional instruments are present, but everything is clearer, and many sounds like the guitars seem louder in the mix.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 May 2005 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

EdisonLite:

Sixpence None the Richer's "There She Goes" was never released as a commercial retail single, so the "remix" on your promo CD would have to be considered a radio mix. Does the album mix and remix both have the same run time?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 May 2005 at 12:29am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Both mixes are listed as 2:42, but only the album mix clocks in at 2:42. The remix is truly 2:38. I don't think there's an edit (just a quicker fade), but I haven't A-B'd these for certainty.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

VWestlife
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2022 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote VWestlife

I have two different mixes of "There She Goes", but I don't know which is which.

The version on the "Snow Day" soundtrack has the acoustic guitar centered and the electric guitars spread out from left to right, and has an actual time of 2:40. In this mix, the electric guitars are more prominent.

Another version I have has the acoustic guitar panned to the left, and the electric guitars mostly on the right. It has a slightly shorter fade, so the actual time is 2:38. In this mix, the acoustic guitar is more prominent.

I'm not sure which one would fit EdisonLite's description of the remix, so does anyone know?
Back to Top View VWestlife's Profile Search for other posts by VWestlife Visit VWestlife's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2022 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

For what it's worth, Top Hits USA has the version in which the first four seconds of acoustic guitar are centered, then the electric guitars are spread out in the soundstage. It was on their weekly disc T0492 and the recurrent hits disc RH056. There's no version name credited, but it sounds like the "Snow Day" soundtrack version you listed.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2022 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

There's no indication in the database, but the album mix that
Gordon talked about in 2005 has the opening guitars
centered and runs 2:42. The shorter length version that has
the guitars panned to the left in the beginning and runs 2:38
is listed as being the Ben Grosse Mix on Qobuz and I'm
presuming the remix on the promo CD. I also have the Ben
Grosse Mix on a Promo Only CD.

Sounds as though Top Hits serviced the album mix.

Edited by eriejwg on 05 February 2022 at 3:40pm

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2022 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

And on TM Century, they also have nearly every listing as the "Ben Grosse Mix" except one called "Tom Lord-Alge Mix."

Odd, I would have probably assumed this was released as a single. It sure got as much airplay around here as "Kiss Me" did.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2022 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Dave, I thought 'there she goes' WAS released as a single. Are you saying it was only a promo-only single, i.e. radio-only single ineligible for the Billboard 100 because of no commercial single?

Also, I'm getting a bit confused now about the mixes. Are there 3, not 2? It sounds like the Ben Grosse mix is the "single" (or perhaps more accurately called the "radio") mix. And there's the album mix which is 4 seconds longer. So is the Tom Lord-Alge mix a 3rd mix, or simply the album mix?

And if there are 3 mixes, is the Ben Grosse mix the one that was played the most on radio?

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2022 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

EdisonLite, Is it Ed by chance?

I'm referring to Todd Ireland's post above;

"EdisonLite:

Sixpence None the Richer's "There She Goes" was never released as a commercial retail single, so the "remix" on your promo CD would have to be considered a radio mix. Does the album mix and
remix both have the same run time?"

I just went to the shelf and pulled both Hitdiscs 314-B (Ben Grosse) and 315-B (Tom Lord-Alge Mix) and I can't honestly tell the difference. Maybe this would require the detective
work of Aaron's sense of hearing or perhaps Ron's spectral analysis. They are both within a second of each other in timing according to the Hitdisc's back pages.

I think it was mentioned above as well that the album mix is about the same length as the Ben Grosse Mix. Maybe Tom Lord-Alge Mix is the album version?

Edit: Looks like a quick dash over to Discogs helped me discover the "Album Version" was mixed by Tom Lord-Alge. (Elektra – 7559-63728-2, Elektra – E3728CD.)
So, two versions as I see it. Hard to tell them apart by my ears.

Edit 2: Headphones to the rescue! The album version is as described above with guitars centered at the beginning. (Also known as the Tom Lord-Alge Mix.)
and the separated beginning in the left channel is the "Ben Grosse Mix."

Edit 3: I suppose I got an answer as well to the "Single" question as Discogs has listings for a CD single and a vinyl 45 as well. *Sigh*

Edited by AdvprosD on 05 February 2022 at 7:07pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2022 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

OK, thanks for the clarification, Dave. Strange that the 2 mixes wouldn't be all that different.

It's not Ed, btw - it's Gordon :)

But I can see why you'd guess that.

EdisonLite is my moniker, and it's a nickname for Edison Lighthouse.

And I'm guessing most top 40 fans here (at least those that are fans of '70s music) will get the "Edison Lighthouse" thing :)

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2022 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

EdisonLite wrote:
OK, thanks for the clarification, Dave. Strange that the 2 mixes wouldn't be all that different.

It's not Ed, btw - it's Gordon :)

But I can see why you'd guess that.

EdisonLite is my moniker, and it's a nickname for Edison Lighthouse.

And I'm guessing most top 40 fans here (at least those that are fans of '70s music) will get the "Edison Lighthouse" thing :)

I put a second edit on my post above. It helps me a lot when I start to pay attention. Ha!

And, I sure remember Edison Lighthouse. (Of Love Grows, and My Baby Loves Lovin'?)

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2022 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

AdvprosD wrote:
And, I sure remember Edison Lighthouse. (Of Love Grows, and My Baby Loves Lovin'?)

Almost! :) Edison Lighthouse had the hit with "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)". Tony Burrows, the lead singer of Edison Lighthouse (which was actually just a studio group) was co-lead singer on "My Baby Loves Lovin'", but that studio group was called White Plains. Tony Burrows was actually lead singer of 5 (non-existent) studio groups, the other 3 being:

First Class - Beach Baby
Brotherhood of Man (the 1st incarnation of the group) - United We Stand
Gimme Dat Ding - Pipkins

In essence, as I say in my liner notes for "The Voice of Tony Burrows" CD, Tony Burrows was a one-hit wonder five times.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2022 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

AdvprosD wrote:
EdisonLite, Is it Ed by chance?

Ed is Edtop40 :)

Edited by PopArchivist on 05 February 2022 at 9:16pm

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2022 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

Y'know, you get that funny feeling when you write or speak something, and you just know it's got that ring of "Maybe that's not quite right", going on in the back of your mind?
I went to google and found that White Plains info before you posted it. I should know by now, not much gets past you guys! ;)

Also, Thanks Rich!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version