Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Patrick Simmons - "So Wrong" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 April 2007 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Okay, I'm a bit surprised that no one else here has mentioned this yet, but back on February 27, this top 40 hit from 1983 was released on a U.S. CD for the first time! (And it therefore needs to be added to Pat's database, if he hasn't done so already - sorry, still not a subscriber at this time.) Credit the good ol' Wounded Bird label, which has re-issued the song's original 1983 parent album, "Arcade" (catalog no. WOU 225)...

"So Wrong" has always been one of my all-time favorites, as I bought "Arcade" on cassette back when it first came out in '83 (still have it), and I've also since acquired both promo 12" vinyl singles that were issued for the song here in the U.S. (and I generally despise vinyl!)...

So naturally, I've picked up the new Wounded Bird CD as well - the track runs (3:21) on it, BTW. (I see that Joel Whitburn's "Pop Annual" lists the 45 length as [3:23], so I'm willing to wager that the 45 and LP versions are the same, but I'll leave that to the "experts" here, lol...)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 April 2007 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I, too, am a fan of the song, which is pretty well forgotten by oldies radio.

FYI, it turns up on a 4-CD set from Holland called "One Hit Wonders And Hard To Find Classics" (BR Music #1013, rel 1999). That version is 3:24, and it sounds like the hit to my ears. If you can find it, this is a very odd collection - about half of the songs never charted in the US or in the UK, leading one to wonder where they were hits.

More FYI - there was also a 12" with a "Dance Mix", on the A-side of Elektra 12" #0-67929 (printed time of 5:22).
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 April 2007 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

crapfromthepast wrote:
I, too, am a fan of the song, which is pretty well forgotten by oldies radio.

FYI, it turns up on a 4-CD set from Holland called "One Hit Wonders And Hard To Find Classics" (BR Music #1013, rel 1999). That version is 3:24, and it sounds like the hit to my ears. If you can find it, this is a very odd collection - about half of the songs never charted in the US or in the UK, leading one to wonder where they were hits.

More FYI - there was also a 12" with a "Dance Mix", on the A-side of Elektra 12" #0-67929 (printed time of 5:22).

Yep, as I stated above, I have both U.S. promo 12"ers: Elektra 67929 as you noted above, as well as Elektra 67928, which features the (3:23) "LP version" b/w the (5:22) "extended version"...

I'll look into that 4-CD set from Holland (I've seen CD compilations on that label before) - thanks for the tip... :-)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 April 2007 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I wasn't previously aware of this recent Patrick Simmons CD reissue, but this is indeed good news for all of us who've been long waiting for "So Wrong" to make its CD debut! For those who don't already know, Simmons is a singer and guitarist for the Doobie Brothers. When Rhino released the Doobies four-disc box set Long Train Runnin' 1970-2000 in 1999, I thought the label missed a golden opportunity to include solo material such as "So Wrong" and guitarist/vocalist Tom Johnston's Top 40 hit "Savannah Nights" on the box set. (Fortunately, the Wounded Bird label picked up the slack and eventually issued Johnston's Everything You've Heard Is True album on CD in 2004, which marked the digital debut of "Savannah Nights".) At any rate, it's great to now be able to scratch another Top 40 hit off our "MIA on CD" lists!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 April 2007 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Todd, even more frustrating is that "Savannah Nights" WAS originally to be on the Doobies' Box Set, appearing on pre-release track listings, but was removed at the last moment. I always thought perhaps Simmons may have felt it a slight that his "So Wrong" wasn't also to be scheduled for inclusion (which it wasn't). Although I thought Elektra (which "Arcade" was orignally put out on) was part of the WEA (Warner/Elektra/Atlantic) family, and therefore should've been easy to Rhino to cross-license, perhaps Rhino ultimately decided to leave off ALL individual solo works, in the name of fairness to all (except the collector, of course.)
     Just as an aside, for one of the VERY few times in the 80s, our Top 40 station played Simmons' "Have You Seen Her", off of "Arcade", as a "secret weapon spike" LP cut, for more than two months! We also got solid requests for it. Elektra was aware of our success with it, but still chose to release two OTHER Simmons songs as follow-up singles to "So Wrong", which of course both stiffed out.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 April 2007 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Jim:

Yep, those solo hits by Tom Johnston and Patrick Simmons could have easily been licensed for the Doobie Brothers box set on Rhino. In fact, I'd wager the box set would've generated additional sales from collectors and completists if a bonus disc of never-before-issued-on-CD solo material had been included.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

gnj1958@sbcglob
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2007 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote gnj1958@sbcglob

I don't think the recent release of Pat Simmons album is the first time this song made it to CD. I remember seeing it on a Guitar Rock collection CD set way back in the early 90's when I was living in the UK. I downloaded off Napster quite a few years ago. I thought it sounded different than the 45 I used to have but it might of just been the difference of hearing in digital form that threw me.

"FYI, it turns up on a 4-CD set from Holland ....this is a very odd collection - about half of the songs never charted in the US or in the UK, leading one to wonder where they were hits"

Well since the CD comes from Holland I would assume they were hits in Holland.
Back to Top View gnj1958@sbcglob's Profile Search for other posts by gnj1958@sbcglob

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version