Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Crow-"Evil Woman Don’t Play Your..." Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 April 2007 at 3:24am | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial 45 is stereo, has a listed time of (3:03), but an actual time of (3:11). This brings the song into line with the timings on its CD appearances in the database.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

MPH711
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 April 2007 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote MPH711

I've never seen a stock copy of this song in stereo.
Back to Top View MPH711's Profile Search for other posts by MPH711

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 April 2007 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote jimct

MPH711, as I've been going through my 1970 commercial 45s, this has been the only one I've had to listen to TWICE, to try to determine if it was mono or stereo - the separation here is SO narrow. I even repeatedly clicked the "mono/stereo" button on my receiver, back and forth, to help me distinguish this one. After all this, I determined with 98/99% certainty that it was stereo, especially late in the record with the horn section. Welcome to the Board - we take accuracy VERY seriously here.

MPH711
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 April 2007 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote MPH711

I will give mine another listen to see if I can hear what you are hearing. Of course the LP and CD version are in very wide stereo and it's super easy to tell. The follow-up single was also mono - "Cottage Cheese".

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 April 2007 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

What are the matrix numbers on both the label and the trail-out area for your 45?

For my copy the label says 10056RE1N while the trail out says 10056-RE2N and then a little bit past where that is written, there is a 5 written in the trail out.

I do hear the horn sort of leaning to one channel, however, my VG+ 45 does not appear to be pressed on the greatest vinyl quality (i see lots of tiny bubbles in the vinyl, and it plays very noisy so it may have been pressed on recycled vinyl) and i attribute that noise off in one channel to being groove distortion. I don't think there is any real separation on it. Listening to each channel separately tells me that the exact same instrumentation is in both, and i was not able to widen the song on my computer to put the horn completely in one channel (that would've been able to be done IF there were any real separation there).

My 45 has excessive noise on it during the fade out that really overpowers it, but if where i heard the song totally drop off was where it actually does, my copy timed out to 3:10. A one second difference probably isn't a big deal, though. It does also list a playing time of 3:03 on the label.

Edited by TomDiehl1 on 06 April 2007 at 10:05pm

MPH711
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 April 2007 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote MPH711

I listened in headphones and I see what you mean about the horns near the end. It's still a hard one to call stereo...knowing what the song really sounds like in stereo...but there is some separation in that one area of the 45. You have a good ear!

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 April 2007 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

I listened in headphones as well, but I just cannot call that stereo...it does not widen at all when i put it on the computer, i just cannot call it a stereo 45. I get the same effect when I play my 45 of People Got To Be Free by the Rascals, i think it's just a result of groove distortion and/or recycled vinyl not tracking the stylus properly.

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 April 2007 at 5:44am | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

I would agree it's groove distortion at least on my stock 45, it's not stereo. My copy (10056RE1N on label, 10056RE2N on trail)is in reasonable shape, with headphones on it sounds like it might be very narrow stereo at times but if you run it through a computer, there is no evidence that it's in stereo at all. The horns distort differently than the other instruments making it appear to have some slight separation. But after running it through my computer, I can't see or hear any evidence that it's stereo. I tried to widen the field, no evidence of stereo, I did vocal cut, no evidence of stereo either. But I did hear the groove distortion, most exaggerated on the horns. I'd say mono. At least on my copy.
Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 April 2007 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote jimct

I very much appreciate the "high-tech double-checks" done here by several others on the Board. Based on all of your collective research findings, I'd like to modify my initial findings, and I now also conclude that my commercial 45 is, in fact, mono. I never knew groove distortion could provide "quasi-stereo-like separation!" Tremendous job on this one, everybody.

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 April 2007 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

I have a VG+ promo copy and it's mono - though not marked as such. Label shows an earlier issue with number 10056 RE-1, whereas the trail out is 10056-RE1. Significant wear could certainly account for a shifting sound stage, but this one's straight mono!

GM
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version