Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: James Brown-"Super Bad (Part 1 & 2)" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 27 March 2007 at 1:27am | IP Logged Quote jimct

My promo 45 for this, which is in mono, has "Part 1" and "Part 2" on the same side, but as separate cuts, with silent grooves in between the two tracks, sort of looking like an "EP 45." The stated times appear on the 45 as (2:51-2:51). The actual time for "Part 1" is (2:49), and the actual time for "Part 2" is (2:50). My commercial 45 for this, also in mono, has "Part 1 & Part 2" as one continuous song on the 45. It has a listed time of (4:05), but an actual time of (4:10).

Edited by jimct on 27 March 2007 at 3:03am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 March 2012 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I have Part 1 only of "Super Bad" on James Brown's 50th Anniversary Collection CD set (Polydor B0001125) which sports the database comment: "Part 1 with no introduction". The thing is, the intro appears to exactly match that of other CDs I have containing Parts 1 & 2. So what exactly is missing on the Part 1 "with no introduction"?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 March 2012 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Todd, the James Brown catalog has been very difficult to annotate over the years as James always seemed to record extended versions of many of his songs which would then be broken down into Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. Early on I asked Harry Weinger at Polygram to help me with the James Brown situation and he generously volunteered to add his annotation of every James Brown song in the database. At that time he considered the version that appears on "The CD of JB" to be Part 1 which includes a brief countoff and has since appeared on several other cd's with the Part 1 comment. On the 50th Anniversary Collection cd, this countoff was removed and hence my comment regarding "no introduction". I realize that on the commercial 45 of Parts 1 & 2 there is no introdution preceding Part 1 so I am just going by what Harry Weinger knows is on the tape vault box for this song.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2020 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

In 1970, the tape rolled, and JB and his band recorded a 9-minute-long jam called "Super Bad". It was mixed to mono, with plenty of reverb on the vocals, then used in pieces (without edits) for the various 45 releases in 1970. I believe that the whole mono 9 minutes was used on the LP, but with stereo fake applause at the beginning and end of the song.

The CD releases sorta/kinda correspond to the pieces from 1970. It's messy.

LP version, mono music with stereo fake applause

I believe that this appears on two Japanese CD reissues of the full album, released in 2007 and 2014. I can't confirm.

Mono LP version, minus stereo fake applause (9:01)

This is the full instrumental performance. It's found on Polydor's James Brown CD Funk Power 1970 A Brand New Thang (1996). It looks like some care went into this particular CD, with some particular versions/mixes finding their way out of the vaults for the first time. I don't have this CD myself.

Part 1 (printed 2:51 on A-side of promo 45)

This appears as the first of the two tracks on the A-side of the promo 45.

This is 0:00 to 2:50 of the 9-minute-long session, with a fade from 2:46 to 2:50. There's no countoff on the intro; it just starts on the one. JB was all about the one.

It's available on Hip-O Select's The Singles Vol. 7 1970-1972 (2009), but the CD features Part 1 and Part 2 in the same track, with silence between them.

Part 2 (printed 2:51 on A-side promo 45)

This appears as the second of the two tracks on the A-side of the promo 45.

This is 2:47 to 5:37 of the 9-minute-long session, with a fade-in from 2:47 to 2:48 and a fade-out from 5:33 to 5:37.

There's overlap between Part 1 and Part 2, so you can edit them together.

It's also available on Hip-O Select's The Singles Vol. 7 1970-1972 (2009), but the CD features Part 1 and Part 2 in the same track, with silence between them.

Part 3 (printed 4:05 on B-side of promo 45 and B-side of commercial 45)

This appears as the B-side of the promo 45 and the commercial 45.

This is 4:55 to 9:02 of the 9-minute-long session, with a fade-in from 4:55 to 4:57 and a cold ending at 9:02.

There's overlap between Part 2 and Part 3, so you can edit these together, too.

It's available on Hip-O Select's The Singles Vol. 7 1970-1972 (2009) as a stand-alone track.

Parts 1 And 2 (printed 4:05 on commercial 45)

This is the hit 45 version.

This is 0:00 to 4:10 of the 9-minute-long session. If the commercial 45 version on Hip-O Select's The Singles Vol. 7 1970-1972 (2009) is correct, then the 45 has a fade from 4:03 to 4:10. There's no countoff on the intro.

My guess is that the JB two-track mixdown tapes weren't labeled all that well, because the CDs that feature the song have lengths and fade points that vary tremendously from disc-to-disc. Here are the handful that I have:
  • Rhino's Billboard Top R&B Hits 1970 (1990) - fades from 3:57 to 4:13
  • Polydor's James Brown 20 All-Time Greatest Hits (1991) - fades from 4:55 to 4:59
  • Rhino's Billboard Hot Soul Hits 1970 (1995) - fades from 4:55 to 5:01
  • Time-Life's Solid Gold Soul Vol. 30 Superbad (2001) - is a digitally identical clone of 20 All-Time Greatest Hits but fades early from 4:05 to 4:11
All of the above (and the Hip-O collection) sound very good, with great dynamic range, reasonable EQ, and no evidence of noise reduction anywhere.

Non-hit 1985 mono remix of Part 1 (2:57)

The song was remixed for Polydor's James Brown CD Of JB (1985).

It now includes a count-off, which was likely missing from all of the earlier releases of the song. I know it's not on any of the 45 releases or any of the CDs I listed above.

This remix has no reverb at all on the vocals. The whole mix is very clean and intimate, but probably not what JB had in mind back in 1970.

Non-hit 1991 stereo remix of Parts 1 And 2 (4:26)

The song was remixed in extremely narrow stereo for Polydor's James Brown 4-CD Star Time (1991). The liner notes say "previously unreleased stereo mix".

It also includes the count-off.

This remix has a definite reverb on the vocals, but it's significantly less reverb than the 1970 mix. It's closer to the 1970 mix than the 1985 CD Of JB mix.

My recommendations

Although the Star Time remixes are extremely well done, I always gravitate toward the hit mixes.

If you're going to hunt down the hit mix, then how much "Super Bad" do you need? The lengths vary from disc-to-disc.

The Rhino Billboard CDs always sound fantastic (they're among the best-sounding compilations ever released). Polydor's 20 All-Time Greatest Hits (1991) is easily my favorite single-disc JB collection, with the original mixes of everything, and it's pretty inexpensive nowadays. Any of these three will work great for you.

The Hip-O Select collection probably gets the 45 fade points in exactly the right spot, but it's not cheap.

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2020 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Got one more on this one. The 1992 CD "Spank" has a wider stereo mix that
fades at 2:57 (Part 1).

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2020 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

David C sent me the version on Spank, and now we can add one more category:

Non-hit 1985 stereo remix of Part 1 (2:57)

In hindsight, I would think that if one would go to the trouble of remixing the song, one would do the remix in stereo. It turns out that that's what actually happened with the 1985 remix, but it was folded down to mono for the CD Of JB.

The proper stereo version of the 1985 remix found its way out of the vaults on, of all things, a low-budget 12-track James Brown collection called Spank (Polydor/Special Music Company ‎837726-2, copyright 1992). Most of the songs are lower-tier songs in the JB catalog. The artwork looks cheap. There are no liner notes and no credits. The disc even gets the title wrong; it erroneously shows this song as "Superbad, Superslick", which is a completely different song (a non-hit single released in 1975).

By all accounts, the song should sound like mud here. But, somehow, it positively shines on this CD! It's a terrific analog transfer from the source tape. There's a huge dynamic range, with plenty of headroom so there's no clipping at all. The EQ is a little brighter than the CD Of JB, which emphasizes the hi-hat nicely. The fade seems to run out to the full length of the track, with no shortening or truncation. The fade retains its high end all the way to the tape hiss, so there's no evidence of noise reduction.

This is a most pleasant surprise in the JB catalog!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version