Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Diana Ross-"Ain’t No Mountain High..." Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 March 2007 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat, my promo 45 for this, mono on both sides, has a "short version" on one side of it. This side appears to exactly correlate with your existing time notation for the commercial 45 (listed time 3:15; actual time 3:28). However, on the other side of my promo 45 is a "long version", with a listed time of (6:10), but an actual time of (6:18).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2007 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

Jim, does the mono 6:18 match the stereo version or does it contain the "one more time" section right after the instrumental break, that is only on the mono 45 version? If it does that would make it a unique version.
Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2007 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Bill, sorry for the delay. I went back and listened to both the long version of this song, found on her "All The Great Hits" CD, as well as the "long version" on my promo 45, after the instrumental break, as you referenced. I do not EVER hear Diana utter the phrase "one more time", on EITHER of these two sources; (there are many "say it again" references, however.) When you refer to the "one more time, mono 45 version", Bill, I'm a bit confused. Are you saying there was a commercial 45 which featured a similar "long version" to the promo 45 I've detailed? Because, as I currently understand it, ALL commercial 45s featured the edited version. I thought the mono "long version", found on my promo 45, was the ONLY source for a 6:00+ 45 version for this (unless a 2nd promo 45 for it was issued, back in 1970.) I know some Motown "Extended Hit Version Rarities" packages have popped up on CD in recent years; could this be where your "one more time" mix appears?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2009 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I'm bumping this thread back up again because I too am wondering if the 6:18 long mono DJ 45 version of Diana Ross' "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" matches the stereo LP version? Also, I notice all commercial 45 version CD appearances in the database are in mono. Does anyone know if a stereo commercial 45 version can be extracted from the LP version, or is there unique audio on the 45 that prevents this from being possible?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2009 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Todd, I have just shot you out the long, mono DJ 45 version, to compare against your stereo CD version. Please let us know the results of your analysis!

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2009 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

No, Todd, the commercial 45 version has unique ad-libs over the chorus that are present in no other version. Some of those ad-libs are present on the Motown Original Artist Karaoke CD with this song. I did a pretty close approximation of the a stereo single version a while back... because of the way the song is mixed on the karaoke CD, it doesn't have the "punch" of the original stereo album mix.

In answer to Bill's question: no, neither the long promo or short promo mono version feature the "one more time" line. Both are identical to the LP version.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 January 2009 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

jimct wrote:
I thought the mono "long version", found on my promo 45, was the ONLY source for a 6:00+ 45 version for this (unless a 2nd promo 45 for it was issued, back in 1970.)

The "one more time" line is on the commercial 45 version, Jim. The long promo version does not match the 45 in that part of the song.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 February 2009 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks to Jim for forwarding me a copy of the 6:18 mono long DJ version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"... I've finally gotten around to comparing it to the stereo LP version and have concluded that the two versions are the same, except of course for the inherent channel and panning differences between the mono and stereo mixes. And as is usually the case with Motown singles, the mono mix packs a lot more "punch" than its stereo counterpart.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2009 at 2:28am | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

There is a fantastic new stereo version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" on Diana Ross' Definitive Collection CD, "one more time" ad-lib included. It runs 4:09, and I believe two simple edits and an early fade leave you with a stereo mix of the single version arrangement.

New mixes of Diana's solo stuff has been slowly leaking out on various releases. "Love Hangover" (single version arrangement) and "Remember Me" also appear in fresh stereo mixes on the Definitive Collection release. Oddly, none of these are indicated in the liner notes.

The single version of "Surrender" (complete with the loud crashing noise at the end of the first chorus) appears as a new stereo mix on the recent reissue of the Surrender CD. They mixer let the fade run longer and then end cold, but if you fade early you can simulate a stereo single version. :)

It is amazing how good they can make these songs sound by going back and remixing them.

Edited by Underground Dub on 08 February 2009 at 2:30am
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 August 2020 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Well, here goes...

Stereo LP version (6:16)

Appeared first on CD on Motown's Compact Command Performance 14 Greatest Hits (1984). It also appears on a few Motown label compilations and Motown Diana Ross compilations, and Motown Diana Ross single-artist CDs. If it's over 6 minutes and in stereo, it's the LP version.

Mono long promo 45 version (6:18)

Appears only on Hip-O Select's The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 10 1970.

Mono short promo 45 version (4:05)

The mono version also appears only on Hip-O Select's The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 10 1970.

There are three discs out there that have this version in stereo; I'm guessing that the stereo version was re-edited from the LP version, but can't confirm.

Mono commercial 45 version (3:28)

Appeared first on CD on Motown's 4-CD Hitsville USA The Singles Collection 1959-1971 (1992). This is a dedicated mix that can't be edited down from the LP version, with different ad-libs from the LP version, like the "one more time" line that's on the commercial 45 and nowhere else.

I think the Diana Ross Ultimate Collection has the proper 45 version, but it seems to be re-edited. I can hear a stereo splice at 0:08 (a stereo burst at the edit, then quickly settles back into mono).

Non-hit 3:29 edit

It's edited down from the LP version, and sorta matches the structure of the 45 version, but it's missing 16 beats from 2:44 to 2:54 of the 45.

This edit appeared on CD on a few of the early Motown various-artist compilations, including:
  • Motown's 25 #1 Hits From 25 Years Vol. 1 (1985)
  • Motown's Every Great Motown Song The First 25 Years (1986) - digitally exactly 0.78 dB quieter than 25 #1 Hits
  • Motown's Motown's Biggest Pop Hits (1986) - digitally exactly 1 dB quieter than 25 #1 Hits
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 21 Rock 'N' Soul Seventies (1991) - digitally exactly 1 dB quieter than 25 #1 Hits
I'm sure there are more.

Non-hit 3:56 edit

It, too, is edited down from the LP version, and sorta matches the structure of the 45 version, but it includes an extra 8 beats from 0:11 to 0:16.

This edit first appeared on Rhino's Billboard Top R&B Hits 1970 (1990). The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Time-Life's Superhits Vol. 4 1970 (1990) - fades about 10 seconds early
  • Time-Life's AM Gold Vol. 2 1970 (1990) - this whole disc is identical to Superhits Vol. 4 1970 , so it also fades about 10 seconds early
  • Time-Life's Solid Gold Soul Vol. 5 1970 (1996) - fades about 5 seconds early
  • Time-Life's Solid Gold Soul #1 Love Songs Of The '70s (2000) - digitally identical to Solid Gold Soul Vol. 5 1970, so it fades about 5 seconds early
Non-hit 3:35 remix

This remix sorta matches the structure of the non-hit 3:56 edit, but it a fresh new mix from the multitracks. Listen for the harp in the left channel on the intro, and how the tamborine that follows is also in the left channel. Compare to the other stereo versions, where the harp is in the left, and the tamborine is in the right channel.

I only have this remix on Motown's Motown Year By Year 1970 (1995). I don't know if it was done especially for this CD, or appeared earlier somewhere else.

My recommendations

I'll always recommend Motown's 4-CD Hitsville USA The Singles Collection 1959-1971 (1992) to anyone who will listen. That will get you the mono commercial 45, which is the hit version.

As for the other versions, if you really must own them, then go for the oldest CDs with those edits. I listed those above.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 August 2020 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Was it common practice for Motown to make so many non-hit versions, edits or remixes of the same song? Seems like a lot of them made it to compilations that are not the 45 or LP version..

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 September 2020 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Pretty unusual, actually.

For the first batch of CDs, before Hitsville in 1992, the emphasis was on stereo at all costs.

The problem with "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" is that the only stereo version released in 1970 was over six minutes long. That was too long for compilation producers back then, so the producers at Motown and Rhino made their own edits to a more reasonable length.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 September 2020 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

In my opinion, Motown MONO is the only way to go.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

AutumnAarilyn
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 September 2020 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote AutumnAarilyn

Hey Ron:

Isn't the commercial mono single the version found on
the Complete Motown singles put out by Hipo-select or
did they mess it up?

Thanks for shipping several cds I ordered from you on
Discogs.

Edited by AutumnAarilyn on 01 September 2020 at 4:49pm
Back to Top View AutumnAarilyn's Profile Search for other posts by AutumnAarilyn

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 September 2020 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

You're welcome!

And yes, the Complete Motown Singles does indeed include the correct commercial 45 version. That series is astounding.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version