Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: UB40 - Red Red Wine Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 April 2005 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Red Red Wine / UB40 Was the 4:07 edit (found on TM Century's Gold Disc library) from a DJ 45, or is this just an edit that TM made? I know the 3:01 edit was the one issued in 1983, but is it possible they re-edited the song for release to radio stations in 1988?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 April 2005 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Actually, I might be familiar with the 4:07 edit, Aaron. I'm trying to recall from memory... Does this version edit out part of the "red red wine you make me feel so fine" rap and fade out early?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 April 2005 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Todd, yes, it edits part of the rap, but it's not an early fade. If you're comparing the 4:07 edit to the LP version, the parts edited out are from 2:44 to 3:06 and 4:10 to 4:58.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 April 2005 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I'll keep an eye out for a promo single, Aaron, and will let you and everyone else know if I find one.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 June 2008 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote abagon

(1984)
The actual 45 running time is (3:00), the listed time is "3:01"on the record label.(A&M AM-2600)

(1988)
The actual 45 running time is (5:16), the listed time is "5:21"on the record label.(A&M AM-1244)
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 June 2008 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote jimct

aaronk wrote:
Red Red Wine / UB40 Was the 4:07 edit (found on TM Century's Gold Disc library) from a DJ 45, or is this just an edit that TM made? I know the 3:01 edit was the one issued in 1983, but is it possible they re-edited the song for release to radio stations in 1988?
Sorry guys, never noticed this post until Abagon's great new actual timing info. I have all of the stock & promo 45's for this song, for both of its 80's 45 releases, in addition to a promo CD single for the 1988 longer issue. No 4:07 edit exists, to my knowledge, and I'm just about positive that the 4:07 edit was simply a TM "custom edit".
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Plastic Steel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 June 2016 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Plastic Steel

Just reiterating in this thread Aaron's reminder that the 3:01 version from 1983 (peaked at #34 BB in spring '84 in the US) is not simply an early fade of the LP version (aka the 1988 single version) (aka the most surprising remake of a Neil Diamond song until someone does a gangsta rap cover of "I Am...I Said").
Back to Top View Plastic Steel's Profile Search for other posts by Plastic Steel

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 June 2016 at 4:29am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I don't recall an edit in 1988 either. It was a radio "secret weapon" song that became not so secret as
everybody grabbed the Labour of Love CD and started playing the full version. I recall buying the CD and
playing it before A&M supplied an actual 45. I also believe A&M sent radio the entire CD out in a hurry.
There may have been some home made edits but at the time, playing the entire thing was what made it a hit
in my opinion. My guess is that TM Century supplied that edit later, most likely to allow play at AC radio
as an oldie. AC radio probably didn't want so much "rap" and the "whole heap a zing" line or whatever
that phrase is..But just because I don't recall it doesn't mean that there wasn't an edit sent, I
just don't remember one.

Edited by Bill Cahill on 08 June 2016 at 4:31am
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 08 June 2016 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

WPLJ/New York used to run a "No rap. No hard stuff. No sleepy elevator music." liner, but I think that was after this 1988 time frame.

The 1987-1989 fad was to revive earlier hits or non-hits, like "Into The Night", "Where Are You Now", "When I'm With You", "Valerie", "Unchained Melody", "Send Me An Angel" (as a
rerecording), "I Melt With You" (also as a rerecording), and even "The Fanatic".

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 June 2016 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Bill, I think you are correct that no official edit was issued in 1988. In my
travels since I first posted, I have never come across a 1988 promo that
has anything except the LP version. I'm sure it must've been a
homemade edit by TM to give their stations a shorter version that still
retains some of the rap.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version