Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Rubber Bullets" - 10cc Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 March 2007 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Yes, I know it wasn't a Top-40 BILLBOARD hit, but I've seen CDs with (4:43) and (5:15) run times of this tune (for some reason, I didn't remember (4:43) as being the correct 45 time). Anybody know the correct 45 length for "Rubber Bullets" and whether the 45 can be extracted from the LP?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Doug, my mono commercial 45 has a listed time of (3:50), and an actual time of (3:49). No Top 40 stations 'round my way happened to play this song back in 1973, so I don't happen to be familiar enough with it to speak about whether or not the CD version could be edited down to make the correct 45 version. However, if you'd like me to shoot out a 45 dub, to aid you with your own "version comparison research", just let me know, my friend.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

Doug, the album version that appears on Varese Sarabande's "10cc: The Complete UK Recordings" runs 5:15 and the UK single version that appears on the same set runs 3:44. This Varese set is great, as it contains the complete albums of "10cc" and "Sheet Music" as well as the UK single versions of "Hot Sun Rock," "4% Of Something," "Waterfall," "Bee In My Bonnet," "Donna," "Johnny, Don't Do It," "Rubber Bullets," "The Dean And I," "Carat Man Of Means," "Gismo My Way," "The Wall Street Shuffle" and "The Worst Band In The World (Lyric Two)." It's a great set if you are a 10cc fan.

Dan
Back to Top View satchdr's Profile Search for other posts by satchdr

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Just out of curiosity, Dan, are the UK and US singles of "Rubber Bullets" different? (The timings are about five seconds apart, which would seem to indicate that there might be at least one difference.)

Jim has E-mailed me a dub of his mono 45, which I thank him for (won't get to hear it until at least tonight--my computer at work doesn't have a sound card).

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

sriv94 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, Dan, are the UK and US singles of "Rubber Bullets" different? (The timings are about five seconds apart, which would seem to indicate that there might be at least one difference.)

Jim has E-mailed me a dub of his mono 45, which I thank him for (won't get to hear it until at least tonight--my computer at work doesn't have a sound card).

Edited by satchdr on 07 March 2007 at 9:16pm

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

Doug, I don't know the difference between the two. I only have the versions that appear on the Varese set and on my vinyl of "10cc." If I find out, I'll let you know. Dan

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

After hearing Jim's dub and trying to replicate the edit points (which I think I got), here's my new question.

My LP version (which runs (5:21)) is well sped up compared to the 45 dub Jim sent. In order to replicate the edits, I sped Jim's 45 to match the LP (I suppose I could've slowed down the LP too). After making the edits, my version ran (3:44), then I slowed it back down to the (3:48) run time of Jim's dub.

So I wonder if the UK single is the US 45 but faster (don't know whether the UK 45 was mono or stereo either, for that matter).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version