Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: debarge "rhythm of the night" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 27 February 2007 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat....after some review of this song i've determined some things that should be noted in the db.....the 45 is slightly sped up versus some of the cd versions in the db.....the 45 states a run time of 3:47 and actually runs that length.....some of the cd version running in the 3:50-3:54 length are much slower.....the 3:47-3:48 length version are the proper 45 speed....

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

The LP runs 3:47, same as Ed's commercial 45, so it would be accurate to say that CD appearances of "Rhythm of the Night" running 3:52-3:54 in length are slower than both the 45 and LP. Good observation, Ed!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 11:29pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

If a speed difference accounts for the shorter running time, then the shorter CD appearances must run faster, not slower. If they ran slower, they'd be longer than 3:47.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 12:07am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

They are, Brian. That's what Todd and Ed are saying. The versions on CD run 3:50 to 3:54, and they are slower than the 45 and LP version.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 12:08am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Yes... I'm in complete agreement with you, Brian. Did I not word it right?

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

aaron....i originally thought the song was just and early fade, but after reviewing your fade it still didn't sound right.....so i re-looked at all my data and saw that there are two distinct running times batches in the db....one around 3:47 and one around 3:54....i bought the "20th century millenium collection" cd that stated a run time of 3:48 and that version matches the 45 version exactly......so i went back and listened to the version i sent you from the 1985 billboard r&b cd and it indeed runs slower....so that is where the issue is.....the 3:47-3:48 group runs faster and are the same as the actual 45 speed while the 3:53-3:54 group are slower and run slightly longer....i hope this clears this one up.....edtop40

Edited by edtop40 on 28 February 2007 at 6:15am

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Todd Ireland wrote:
Yes... I'm in complete agreement with you, Brian. Did I not word it right?

Never mind... I transposed some numbers in my mind, I guess.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 August 2008 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

According to abagon, the actual commercial 45 run time of Debarge's "Rhythm of the Night" is 3:48, which is very close to the time Ed reported earlier in this thread. All the database CDs where the song runs 3:52-3:54 should have a "slower than the 45 and LP" comment, or something to that effect.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 29 August 2008 at 5:13pm

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Just poked around with this song, and thought I'd give some more specifics. (BTW, it was written by Diane Warren - probably one of her first big hits.)

The 45 (Gordy 1770 GF, 1985) has a printed time of 3:47, an actual run time of about 3:49, and an actual tempo of 116.1 BPM (played by a live drummer with a click track). The fade begins on the downbeat at 3:36 just before the word "behind", and lasts about 24 beats.

The earliest version on CD that I know of is on a 3-CD set called Motown 30th Anniversary Collection (Silver Eagle Records SED-10794/Motown MSD-35150, 1988), where it has a printed time of 3:50 and an actual time of about 3:47. Here, it runs 115.1 BPM, which is about 0.9% slower than the 45. The fade begins at 3:36, but due to the pitch/tempo difference, the fade point falls at an earlier point in the song, at the word "mind". It's a shorter fade than the 45.

The version on The A-List (Swaitek, 1994) also run 3:47 at 115.1 BPM, with fade points that exactly match the above 30th Anniversary CD.

The abbreviated fade was fixed with the release of Hitsville USA Volume Two in 1993. Here, it runs 3:53 and 115.1 BPM (still 0.9% slower than the 45), but the fade points match the 45 fairly closely. Interestingly, the Hitsville CD seems to be based on the same analog transfer that the 30th Anniversary uses, because the samples line up throughout (with a different EQ).

There are digital clones of the Hitsville CD, all running 3:53 at 115.1 BPM:
  • Motown Year By Year 1985 (digitally identical)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties - 1985-1986 (different EQ)
  • Time-Life's Solid Gold Soul - Mid-'80s (different EQ)
Rhino's Like Omigod box also runs about 3:53 at 115.1 BPM, but isn't a digital clone of Hitsville. It's mastered too loud and clips a lot.

There is also a small group of CDs that have the song playing too fast.

It first appeared on the 2-CD set Sessions Presents Night Beat (Warner Special Products OPCD-4515, 1988), with a printed time of 3:48, an actual run time of 3:48, and a tempo of 116.7 BPM (about 0.5% faster than the 45). The fade begins on the downbeat at 3:35 just before the word "behind", and lasts about 24 beats, just like in the 45 but falling about 1 second earlier in the song due to the pitch difference.

There are two other CDs that also run 3:48 at 116.7 BPM, which are extremely close in sound quality but aren't digital clones of Night Beat:
  • Razor & Tie Presents Awesome '80s (2 CDs, 1994, mastered by Steve Hoffman)
  • Starland Music Presents Rockin' USA (2-CDs, 1994)
I don't have the Rhythm Of The Night or Greatest Hits CDs, but I'd be happy to compare those 3:47 versions to what I've got, if someone would send me mp3s.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 November 2017 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

The 12 inch "long version" can be found on DANCE CLASSICS BEST OF VOL 2
2011 UNIVERSAL/RODEO MEDIA 533461-0

Runs 7:10
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 December 2017 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Thanks for posting this!
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

I've always wondered if one of the hired background guys "in the street" uttered those two naughty words "f--k off". Listen at 1:28. I always wondered if I was correct, and someone at Gordy Records forgot to splice a track out.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

I just wanted to bump this question, since I heard the song today, and it got me wondering. Any takers :)

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I just checked out the music video and I don't hear those words at 1:28
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Wow! It's missing. But also, the keyboard voice and vocal take is different on the music video than on the LP and single. There's one to add to the thread on different single mixes and vocal takes. (I'll have to revive that thread and add this song)

However here's the LP version. Now listen at 1:30. The audio starts a little late at the start. It's there.
:)

Debarge Video With The Proper Recording

Edited by Jody Thornton on 02 January 2019 at 3:24pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Yeah, I hear the differences in the mixes. What's being said is under the lead vocal "romance" between the 2 syllables. The swear word could be what's being said, but I'm not sure. The fact that it was removed from this later version would suggest the label concluded that the background guy was swearing.

So is this what would be considered the "video mix" - and is it different from the single and album mix - and not available on any CD?

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

I would think so EdisonLite. Remember, I could pick out the difference almost immediately, so this was a version I've never ever heard.

Wow! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I mentioned it in the other thread too. you learn something every day :)

Happy New Year!

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Great ears, everybody!

I found videos on YouTube of someone playing the 45 and the Rhythm Of The Night LP (last song on side 2). Both of these include the alleged naughty words behind the word "romance" around 1:30. Same for all the extended versions on vinyl 12 inch singles. Haven't been able to find someone playing the soundtrack to "The Last Dragon" yet.

All the versions I have on CD also include the alleged naughty words behind the word "romance" around 1:30.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 02 January 2019 at 5:25pm

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2019 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I hear "my God" or "oh my God"... which might also have been edited in the era of this song and its target demo.

YMMV

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 January 2019 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I don't think anything was edited for content for the music video. The video is obviously a completely different mix, and it seems like most or all of the "party noise" in the background is different between the two mixes.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version