Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Bowie / Jagger - Dancing In The Street Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 February 2007 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ed just pointed out a difference to me that I had never noticed before. Not only does the version on Best Of Bowie have a longer intro, but it is remixed when compared to the 45 version.

I have this song on a TM Century disc, where they dubbed it from vinyl. However, it appears that they dubbed the LP version and just faded it out, because the ending is slightly truncated and there's no vinyl noise on the end like there is on the beginning.

The way you can tell the remixed version from the non-remixed version:

- The drum stick taps on the non-remixed version fade out during the whistle part; on the remixed version, you can still hear the taps all the way up to the high part of the whistle.

- Right after the word "OK" on the non-remixed version, you can just barely hear a guitar; on the remixed version, the guitar is pretty audible, although still low in the mix. At this same part, the tamborine is much louder on the non-remixed version.

- The biggest difference is when the horns come in. Not only are they mixed differently, but the first horn riff is not even the same. On the non-remixed version, you only hear five notes; the remixed version has six notes.

- Finally, on the remixed version, the intro section repeats itself, and the first verse doesn't start until 0:31, as opposed to 0:23 on the non-remixed version.

The Best Of Bowie remixed version appears to be a "neither," unless someone has an LP or 45 that contains this mix.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 February 2007 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Good catch, Ed and Aaron. All CD entries in the database for "Dancing in the Street" currently run between 3:14 and 3:20. The database states that the actual 45 run time is 3:07. I don't think this song was ever issued on an official LP release so an "LP version" comment won't ever apply here. With all this said, have we basically determined that the correct 45 mix and edit has never appeared anywhere on CD?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ed has confirmed that the correct mix is on The Singles (Bowie compilation), but it is missing the first second with the drum stick tap (just before the whistle), and it has a longer fade.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

It appears several of the CDs in the database featuring the remixed version of "Dancing in the Street" contain the opening drumstick taps. So if I were to take those drumstick taps and splice them onto the beginning of the version on The Singles 1969-1993 and fade the song out at the 4:07 mark, I would essentially have the correct 45 mix and length?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 26 February 2007 at 10:12pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

you mean the 3:07 mark, paul....and yes you would have it.....aaron already did a masterful job of re-creating the 45 version from the raw material i provided for him.....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 2:05am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, but it's tricky, because those drum stick taps have an echo in the left channel on the remix, but neither channel echoes on the un-remixed version. Then on the second tap, there is a slight echo in the right channel on the remix. I did some fancy channel mixing and a crossfade, rather than a straight edit.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Trying to figure out what the source is for the odd remix on the 2002 Best Of Bowie CD...

It looks like it was on the B-side of the 12" that came out in 1985, where it was designated as "Edit". The A-side was an "Extended Version" running about 4:38, and the B-side also included a "Dub Version" running also about 4:38. (I don't have the vinyl 12", just mp3s of everything.)

So it wasn't specially remixed for the 2002 CD, but was likely mistaken for the 7" version because of the designation of "Edit".

The "Extended Version" repeats the 16 beats before the vocals start, so those 16 beats are added into the 12" versions, and not cut out of the 7" version. You can tell that it's the same 16 beats pretty easily in a multi-track editor.

I would guess that the "Edit" on the 12" is supposed to mimic the actual 45, but someone goofed and left in the repeated 16 beats before the vocals start.

Incidentally, the B-side of the 45, labeled as "Instrumental", is yet another different mix of the backing instrumentation, but with an additional hot sax line over the whole song (played by Mr. Bowie himself?) A very pleasant surprise for those who turned the 45 over.

So to be clear, the version on The Singles 1969-1993 is the 45 mix, but is missing the first drum stick tap, and extending about five seconds longer than the true 45. To recreate the true 45, you somehow need to paste on the missing drum stick tap at the beginning (!), and add a 32-beat fade from the downbeat at about 2:45.5 to about 3:09.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 31 May 2012 at 7:28am
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 May 2012 at 5:21am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Does the remix still contain the spoken "South America! Brazil! UK!" etc? We made a custom edit of this where I worked during it's chart run where we took the intro from the (instrumental) B side of the stock single and substituted it for that which was on the vocal version.

I'm surprised the label never did this for promo singles.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 May 2012 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Hykker wrote:
Does the remix still contain the spoken "South America! Brazil! UK!" etc?

Yes, it's all there in the remix.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 May 2012 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Hykker wrote:
Does the remix still contain the spoken "South America! Brazil! UK!" etc? We made a custom edit of this where I worked during it's chart run where we took the intro from the (instrumental) B side of the stock single and substituted it for that which was on the vocal version.

That's my favorite part of the whole song (especially the way Bowie says "SOUTH AMERICAAAAA")!
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version