Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: sam harris "sugar don’t bite" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 February 2007 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat

the version on the cd

(S) (4:04) Motown 9103 and 5408 Sam Harris   

contains the lp version....the 45 edits off the first 0:11 of the songs intro then fades out to 3:49....

this s/b noted in the db....

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 March 2008 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I have a wave file of Sam Harris' "Sugar Don't Bite" from the self-titled CD Ed references in his post. However, I notice the audio at the end of my file is truncated... In other words, the audio ubruptly ends before the song has fully finished fading out.

Is the song's closing seconds of audio truncated like this on the Sam Harris CD? Does the song segue into the next track on the disc? If the answer to either question is yes, then this info should probably be noted in the database accordingly.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland wrote:
I have a wave file of Sam Harris' "Sugar Don't Bite" from the self-titled CD Ed references in his post. However, I notice the audio at the end of my file is truncated... In other words, the audio ubruptly ends before the song has fully finished fading out.

Is the song's closing seconds of audio truncated like this on the Sam Harris CD? Does the song segue into the next track on the disc? If the answer to either question is yes, then this info should probably be noted in the database accordingly.

No, it isn't, Todd, so the issue is w/ your wave file. While none of the tracks on the album actually segue together, in most cases there's only about a half-second of silence between any of them - including before & after "Sugar Don't Bite" - so it's definitely a bit tight. My CD is the first pressing on Motown MCD06103MD, w/ the original LP/cassette cover. (Note that Pat has the catalog no. wrong in his book/database - it's "6103", not "9103"!) I know there's a second (later) U.S. pressing of the CD w/ a slightly altered/cheap-looking front cover that states "A Motown Compact Classic" across the top - I assume that's the one w/ the "5408" no.??? As far as I know, Pat's book/database is correct in that "SDB" has yet to appear on any other U.S. CD to date, which is a darn shame...

I still remember hearing "SDB" on the radio in SoCal as it was climbing the charts back in the Summer of '84, and instantly loving it - so I immediately ran out and bought the "Sam Harris" album on cassette, and I wasn't disappointed! Harris's vocals are admittedly a bit quirky, and thus may take some getting used to, but the album's a winner. I was VERY shocked - and disappointed - when the follow-up, "Hearts on Fire", failed to crack the "Hot 100", as that one had "top 40" written all over it as well; "Out of Control" could've easily made it three hits. All of the uptempo tracks on the album are great - only a couple of the ballads fall flat, IMO. Even his covers of "You Keep Me Hangin' On" and "Over the Rainbow" both work very well. This album actually ranks in my personal top 20, all-time - and when you have over 20,000, that's saying something (and is also why I added the CD version to my collection about ten years ago)... :-)

Yeah, the CD is long out-of-print and a bit tough to find - used copies currently fetch about $30-$40 on eBay - but if you like "Sugar Don't Bite", you won't regret forking over the few extra dollars, Todd. A very underrated album, IMO...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My cd copy has the "cheap looking cover" and is Motown 9103. The 5408 catalog number comes from a CD International/American CD Reference Guide from 1991.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Pat. The "6103" no. on my CD matches the original 1984 LP/cassette no., so I know it's original. I happen to have some of those "CD International" catalogs from the '90s as well, so I just checked, and sure enough, I see the "MOTD-5408" listing in the "U.S.A." column - I've never seen that version before, and at this time, would question its existence!
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 March 2008 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks very much, Gregg, for confirming that my truncation issue with "Sugar Don't Bite" is exclusive to my audio file and is not reflective of the CD itself. Also, I appreciate your review of the Sam Harris CD. As soon as I can track down an affordable copy, I'll snatch it up and give it a listen!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 January 2009 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as motown 1743 states a run time on the label as 3:49 and does indeed run that length and is an edit of the 4:04 full length cd/lp version.......this info should be added to the db......thx aaron, again.....

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version