Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Joe Jackson "Steppin Out" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 February 2007 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

Could someone please explain the the difference(s) between the LP version and the 45 version? I have what I assume is the LP version from a 1996 A&M CD single reissue (31458 1396 2). The opening fades in for approximately 20 seconds. However, I've heard the opening on the radio before and it sounds like there is no fade-in. Would this mean that the 45 version can not be created from the LP version? I would just like to confirm before investing in the 80$ Pop Culture Box, which is the only source for the 45 version according to the database.
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2007 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

No, the 45 version cannot be recreated from the LP due to the LP version fading while the 45 has a cold opening.

If you don't want to invest in the Omigod 80s box, another option for you would be to hunt down the Class Reunion 82 CD on Rebound. This CD contains what is essentially the LP version of Steppin' Out, but with the cold opening. However, you have to perform several edits and an early fade to recreate the 45 version from this CD.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2007 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I'm wondering if the "LP version with cold opening" is a radio version. The AM/FM combo here played that version.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2007 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

One other place to find the single version is the UK set Now That's What I Call Music 1983 (it was a UK hit in Jan/Feb '83). The single mix also has 3 seconds of percussion before the keyboards kick in.

Edited by cmmmbase on 11 February 2007 at 3:41pm
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 February 2007 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I also have that 1996 reissue CD single, and essentially it is the LP version, but without the overlap from the previous track. The drums still fade in like they do on the LP version.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2007 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

sriv94 wrote:
I'm wondering if the "LP version with cold opening" is a radio version. The AM/FM combo here played that version.
Doug, both my stock 45 and promo 45s for this one contain the exact same version. Our station received a gold record from A&M, for being one of the very first significant Top 40 stations to start playing it - but, 3-4 weeks after we initially did, it was VERY slow to start catching on. But both the MD and I still believed, and we both blurted out at the exact same moment, "Let's give it ONE more week before we give up on it and drop it!" Luckily, it DID finally kick in that week, both locally and nationally. One of my prouder moments over the years. As for your local AM/FM combo playing the version you cite above, and "Was it an issued-to-radio version?", I suppose it could've been. Often labels would send us a 2nd promo version, as you know, trying to help get a struggling song "over the hit hump." Since we were "early" to add it, A&M MAY not have sent us a 2nd promo, because our "precinct was already in!", but we normally did get just about every different variation in, anyhow. I don't remember a promo 12" coming in for it either, so I'm especially perplexed by what you say you remember, Doug. I believe you, though.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 February 2007 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

jimct wrote:
I don't remember a promo 12" coming in for it either, so I'm especially perplexed by what you say you remember, Doug. I believe you, though.

Perhaps it was a lot of jumping through hoops, Jim, but it's also possible that the station (WLS-AM/FM) grafted the 45 opening onto the LP version to create a custom version that started cold but had the LP length. Anything is possible at this point. My ears could also have been playing tricks on me, but I'm almost positive their version didn't fade in. All I know is I was relatively disappointed that WLS-AM didn't even sniff the single version (I would've expected WLS-FM to play a longer version)--sometimes WLS-AM did play different versions of a song depending on the daypart.

WLS was known for doing some tricky things to songs back in the day. :)

Edited by sriv94 on 12 February 2007 at 8:49am

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 February 2007 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The 45 version starts cold, as noted, but also has a thicker drum sound on top of the existing drum machine track. It's very noticeable when you compare the LP and 45 versions side-by-side.

The only place I've found the true 45 version, with the true 45 mix, is the UK 2-CD set Now That's What I Call Music 1983, which was released in 1993 (not 1983).
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 February 2007 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Are you saying that the Rhino Omigod box set does not have the correct mix?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 February 2007 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Not sure - I'll have to check tonight.

Whoever compiled the Omigod set (Bill Inglot?) did a pretty good job finding the 45 versions (except for Laid Back's "White Horse").

I don't really like the set, though, because it's mastered WAY too loud, and most of the tracks clip. (On the Steve Hoffman forum, we refer to it as being "maximized", "overly compressed", or even "squashed". It results in distortion and a severe lack of dynamic range. It's a common problem on most CDs released since about 1997 or so.)

The Now 1983 set is far from maximized, and has terrific sound throughout, despite a few odd edits and abrupt fades (so that they could cram 20 songs per CD).
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 February 2007 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

OK, let me know what you find. What was wrong with "White Horse" on that set? The database says this is the commercial 45 and uncensored DJ version. Is there an incorrect edit?

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 February 2007 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I compared the Now 1983 version and the Like Omigod versions of "Steppin' Out" side-by-side, and I see two minor differences:

(1) The drum sounds in the Now 1983 mix are a little "boing"-ier than the Like Omigod mix - the hi-hat sounds a little more bell-like, and the snare is a little less pronounced. It's easiest to tell them apart during the intro. If I remember correctly, the Now mix is what's on the 45, but I could be mistaken. The rest of the mix sounds the same, to my ears.

(2) The fadeout on Now 1983 is about 1 second longer than on Like Omigod. Fairly insignificant.

I take back my earlier comments about maximization and all that; the version of "Steppin' Out" on Like Omigod has very nice levels.

As for "White Horse", that's most definitely not the commercial 45 version. The word "b****" is featured prominently and repeatedly in the Like Omigod version, and is deliberately cut out of the commercial 7". I'm going to dig out my 45s of "White Horse" (there were several promos) and report my findings in a "white Horse" post, if there isn't already one out there.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 February 2007 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast:

Could the differences you're hearing between the mix on the Now 1983 CD and the Like Omigod! disc be nothing more than the equalization used by the mastering engineers on these respective discs? Like you pointed out, it appears Bill Inglot tried to make it a point to specifically track down the correct single versions for all the tracks on the Like Omigod! set (though there are a couple of exceptions).

I also agree with you that "Steppin' Out" on the Omigod! box set contains excellent audio quality and levels, but unfortunately a number of the other tracks on that set suffer from the loud overcompression you speak of.

Regarding "White Horse", I know there was a detailed discussion a long time ago on this board regarding the multiple versions of "White Horse" that exist. I'll bump that message thread back up to the front page on the board so that everyone can refer to it and add additional comments, if necessary.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 12 February 2007 at 9:52pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 February 2007 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My commercial 45, Sire 29346 matrix number BAA-2248-V1-S-352-JW1 has definitely got the lyric line "If you wanna be rich, you've got to be a bitch".
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 2:01am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hi Doug & Jim,

Yes, there was a promo 12" issued to AOR (& record pool disco DJ's) a little in advance of the 45.

SP-17201 was is number, and yes it featured the single edit on the A-side & the album version (albeit with the longer, cold intro) on the B-side.

I have it in my hands so it is a confirmed domestic promo.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Andy, thank you! Guess this 25-year memory isn't so bad after all.

Now, what did I have for breakfast this morning? :)

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

At the present time, the database does not list the Class Reunion '82 CD among the titles containing "Steppin' Out". Roscoe, could you please relay to us the song's actual run time on that disc? And, Andrew, could you please provide us with the run time of "Steppin' Out" on your promo 12" single? I'm interested to see if everything matches up.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Todd Ireland wrote:
At the present time, the database does not list the Class Reunion '82 CD among the titles containing "Steppin' Out". Roscoe, could you please relay to us the song's actual run time on that disc? And, Andrew, could you please provide us with the run time of "Steppin' Out" on your promo 12" single? I'm interested to see if everything matches up.

Steppin' Out runs 4:18 on the Class Reunion 82 CD.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Class Reunion '82? I have no record of this cd - can anyone pass along a record label and catalog number for it?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 February 2007 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Rebound 520494.

It's well out of print, but here are the tracks (courtesy of allmusic.com):

1 Steppin' Out--Joe Jackson (4:21)
2 The Look of Love, Pt. 1--ABC (3:30)
3 Caught Up in You--.38 Special (4:38)
4 Stone Cold--Rainbow (5:17)
5 State of Independence--Donna Summer (4:27)
6 Mama Used to Say--Junior (3:37)
7 Get Down on It--Kool & the Gang (4:55)
8 No One Like You--Scorpions (3:57)
9 I Know What Boys Like--Waitresses (3:12)
10 Tainted Love--Soft Cell (2:40)
11 Up Where We Belong--Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes (3:52)

Edited by sriv94 on 14 February 2007 at 8:42am

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version