Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Cheap Trick "Tonight It’s You" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 February 2007 at 3:13am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I have this song on their Greatest Hits CD clocking in at 4:45. The video edits out half the guitar instrumental before the bridge. I did this edit, bringing the song to 4:30; however, Whitburn's Pop Annual says the 45 is 3:30. Does anyone know if that's true or a typo? Seems strange that they would edit the video to one length and do an even bigger edit for the 45? And given the 3:30 vs. 4:30, I wonder if it was a typo (accidental or not) on the 45 label.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

It's not a typo. A 45 to CD transfer I did several years back timed out 3:28...
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I have found numerous cases where the video version does not match the 45 or single version. Sometimes the difference has been only a matter of seconds because the edit is slightly different.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Interesting Aaron. I've seen things like a 45 edit, LP version, and a live music video. Or a 3rd version with talking over a section. Or a 3rd version where the music in the video comes to a stop and the video turns into a no-music segment for a minute (like J-Lo's "Ain't It Funny"). But I can't ever recall a label making 3 noticeably distinct edits -- one for LP, one for video, and one for 45 -- like they've done in this Cheap Trick case. But from what you say, I guess I'm wrong. Probably not paying enough attention!
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I can think of at least two examples of LL Cool J songs that have different video edits. "I'm That Type Of Guy" has a 5+ minute LP version, a 3:20-something 45 version, and a 4:15-ish video edit.

Another LL Cool J song (though not a top 40 hit) that has a different edit is "Big Ole Butt." The LP version is quite a bit longer than the radio edit. The video uses the radio edit, but the music at the end is looped one extra time, making it run about 7 or 8 seconds longer.

I generally don't count on the video having the correct edit unless the single format is impossible to find.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 February 2007 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote torcan

A song we were discussing not long ago: Guns N Roses "Sweet Child o Mine". Although it's been a while since I've seen the video, I recall it was a different edit than the 5:55 LP version, or the 3:57 remix/edit promo single.
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 February 2007 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, but the video version to that song was released on an official promo CD. It's the 4:53-ish "Remix/Edit" on the 3-track promo.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 February 2007 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

This discussion makes me wonder in general if some of the CDs in the database containing a Top 40 hit with the comment: neither the 45 or LP version are actually a video edit? If anyone can think of a case where this is true, perhaps it would be worth starting a separate thread about them.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2007 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

With the help of Jim (who shared a dub of the 45 a while ago), I can confirm the 3 different edits of this song and what they are:

LP version is 4:45

The video edit is 4:30 and simply edits out half the guitar instrumental before the bridge.

The single edit is 3:30 and in addition to the above edit, it also edits out the entire bridge and a chorus!

I was surprised when I first heard this single edit. I'm surprised they'd edit out the bridge! If they felt the 4:30 video edit was still too long, I personally would have simply edited out one of the two choruses after the bridge. But to edit out a whole chorus AND the bridge - in 1985 when rock songs didn't have to be so short -- seems like a bad idea (and edit) - maybe that's why the single didn't do so well. Personally, I think the video edit is the best version of this song.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version