Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Chicago-"Dialogue (Part I & II)" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 January 2007 at 12:51am | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial 45 is currently misfiled for this, but both sides of my promo 45, both in stereo, with the same deadwax info, have a listed time of (4:53), same as my Whitburn book info. Its actual running time, however, is (5:02). Unless a 2nd promo 45 was issued for this, I know of NO 45, commercial or promo, that did NOT feature this exact, unique-to-the-single version. The (Part I & II) statement is more of an LP reference - sometimes those reprise-filled, early Chicago LPs had minds of their own...Anybody got their "Dialogue" commercial 45 handy, to time-confirm?

Edited by jimct on 29 January 2007 at 12:52am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2007 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

jim...i can confirm the run time on the commercial 45 to be 5:00 and the 45 is identical to the version from the "very best of chicago" cd.....the 45's face does state the run time as 4:53, which is inaccurate....

Edited by edtop40 on 15 July 2010 at 7:45pm

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2007 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I thought the "(Part I & II)" reference was accurate--after all, the 45 is an edit of both parts of the song.

And a dang good one too.

BTW, Jim--kudos on your radio career. Heard a little of your farewell broadcast. Sorry I didn't get to hear more.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 January 2007 at 12:36am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Doug: Point taken on the quality of that edit; this one happens to be one of my all-time favorites by Chicago. Non-LP buyers wouldn't have a clue as to what was meant by the (I & II), however. Guys, you KNOW it's time to step away from the mic when you start to actually dread that "another show" is coming up, and that you'd MUCH rather spend that SAME time researching old 45 details! Guilty! Very lucky to go out on my OWN terms, after 30 years each at the SAME two stations, pro and college. Best "perk": all the promo music - luckily, VERY few radio folks are collectors, turns out, so "hit spares" were abundant for me. Now I get the share those often-rare details with like-minded weirdos such as yourselves!   :) That was my ONE post about my on-air retirement; now "fagedaboutit"; back to where I really belong - here in "the trenches", with my pals!

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 January 2007 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

jim....this fellow collector really appreciates the painstaking detail in which you explain and describe things.....i thought I was the only one who was a stickler for detail....

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 January 2007 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Thanks, Ed, my "tag-team timing partner!" Between ALL the 45s that you and I double-check, we must go through 10 stopwatches a year! WE'RE normal; it's the other 50 million people that need help!   :)

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

can anyone confirm that there is a picture sleeve for this song....whitburns' book states that there was one issued in 1972, but i have been unable to locate one....

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

edtop40 wrote:
can anyone confirm that there is a picture sleeve for this song

Ed, the commercial copy I bought at Target in 1972 came in a generic orange Columbia sleeve, but the duplicate DJ 45 at my college station came in this picture sleeve
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 July 2010 at 5:25am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Anyone know the story behind the extremely cold ending on this song where it ends in mid-word ("we can make it hap"). Single and album both are this way.

jimct wrote:
Best "perk": all the promo music - luckily, VERY few radio folks are collectors, turns out, so "hit spares" were abundant for me.

I've been amazed at this myself, having gotten large numbers of records over the years when "clean out" time rolled around, not to mention duplicate copies. One of the reasons I got into (and stayed in) this business over the years was access to the often unique mixes/edits only serviced to radio.

Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version