Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Patti LaBelle - New Attitude Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 26 January 2007 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just compared a dub of Ed's 45 for Patti LaBelle's "New Attitude" with the so-called 45 version on Rhino's Disco Queens compilation and they are not the same mix.

Right from the beginning you can hear a difference in the snare drum. The 45 has reverb on every other snare hit, while the version on Disco Queens has no reverb.

I'll leave it up to Pat to determine which CDs in the database have the correct 45 version.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 January 2007 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

aaron...what's odd about this song is that the 45 has a very long, slow fade out which could be replicated from the proper cd version....check the cd version i enclosed in the last batch of cdrs and you'll see what i mean....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 January 2007 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Nope, the one you sent me is a different mix, besides the long, slow fade.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 January 2007 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

really??..i gotta check it again....

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 January 2007 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I just pulled out my white label dj copy of "New Attitude" matrix number MS 16743-RRE-BG2 and the mix sounds like the "Disco Queens" cd mix to me. The "Patti Labelle Greatest Hits" cd has much more reverb on the snare drum. Aaron and Ed are you using the commercial 45 in your comparison that perhaps has a different matrix number?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 January 2007 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Perhaps the version on Greatest Hits with the reverb on the snare matches Ed's 45 copy. Does that CD also have a long, drawn out fade (i.e. it starts fading much earlier than the Disco Queens version and takes a good 25 to 30 seconds to fade all the way out)?

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 January 2007 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I made a wave profile of New Attitude from both "Greatest Hits" and "Disco Queens" and both have almost identical fades of about :20 each.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 January 2007 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in on this, because I only have Ed's dubs to compare. Since Ed generally only collects commercial 45s, I'm pretty certain this is a commercial copy I'm listening to.

To clarify, it's not that the CD version (Disco Queens) has NO reverb on the intro drums, but the snare hits are different. Also, on every other snare hit (every fourth beat) on the 45, there is a longer, trailing reverb not on the CD copy. Does anyone else own this 45 who can verify how the intro sounds?

Edited by aaronk on 28 January 2007 at 11:01pm

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 January 2007 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron, you'll be receiving a dub of my commercial 45 in a few minutes.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 January 2007 at 11:29pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jim's commercial 45 sounds exactly like Ed's 45 copy, with the extra reverb on the opening snare hits, and the different sounding snare altogether. It looks like the Disco Queens version matches the DJ 45 Pat has, and the Greatest Hits version matches the commercial 45.

By the way, there are other slight mix differences, it's just that the intro drums were the easiest way to tell.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 January 2007 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Could someone pass along the matrix number etched in the vinyl of the commercial 45?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2007 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat: Here's the deadwax for the commercial 45 dub I shot out to Aaron last night: MC 16743-RR3-BG1
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2007 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

jim my commercial 45 has the same inscription in the run-out groove (MC 16743 - RR3 - BG1).......aaron...are you saying the proper 45 version is on the greatest hits cd??

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2007 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

aaron...i hear what your saying regarding the drum hits on the intro...the 45 drum hit stops cold and has no carry through while cdr versions i have has the carry through....pat...can you review the cds in the database to check to see if abny have the cold snare hits?

thx edtop40

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 January 2007 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Now we are getting somewhere on this mystery. The dj 45 (at least the one I have) is not the same as the commercial 45 pressing! Yes when I get time I will go through the database and add the appropriate comments. Does anyone else have a dj copy with a matrix number different from the one I posted above?

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2007 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

also....the commercial 45's face as well as the rear of the picture sleeves states "remixed by louil silas, jr.; engineered by taavi mote".....in addition the rear of the picture sleeve states...."special version of the song taken fom the motion picture soundtrack beverly hills cop mca-5553".......so there is additional evidence that the 45 version is diffrent than the full cd/lp version....now let's just hope one of the 4:08 cd versions in the database is the true 45 version.....

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 February 2007 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I have updated the database with comments on the dj and commercial 45 versions of "New Attitude". Let's just hope there aren't multiple pressings of the dj 45!

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 December 2020 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I don't feel like this one is really resolved.

I've found three mixes: the LP mix which has a subdued snare with some reverb, the commercial 45 mix which has the sharp, gated reverb snare, and the so-called radio mix, which has pronounced reverb and every other hit has a brighter sound.

Some suggest the DJ mix might have actually originated on 1996's Greatest Hits. I found the music video on YouTube using the same mix, but it appears dubbed so the accuracy to the original music video soundttacj is in doubt.

There are two promo 7" singles listed on doscogs, one tagged bg1 and one tagged bg2. Both say from the soundtrack. Both say remixed by the same guy. Both show the same length. The labels are identical except for the one or two.

The 12" has an extended version, club version, and single version. All three match the commercial single with the gated snare.

I'd like to see if anyone can find the vinyl of Greatest Hits and tell us which mix the vinyl has.

I'd also like to know if anybody has the music video with the original soundtrack still intact and which mix it has.

I'd like to see if anybody has the promo ending with a one and which mix it has.

Finally, it would be great to get a fresh dub of the version ending with a two.

So many questions! Thanks to anybody who can help.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 December 2020 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat, I think you'll need to make some database updates based on what I've discovered this evening.

Thanks to Tom Diehl's Discogs store, I just received a promo copy of "New Attitude." Upthread, Pat reports his copy has runout matrix MS 16743-RRE-BG2. My promo copy has the exact same matrix as the stock 45: MC 16743-RR3-BG1. As expected, the audio on this copy is also identical to the stock 45. As far as I can tell, though, Pat's copy likely has the same mix as my copy, because all of the database CDs I have that list "dj 45 version" are actually the commercial 45 (and promo 45) version. All of the database CDs I have that currently list "commercial 45 version" are actually the alternate mix that do not match what's on the vinyl.

My stock and promo 45s both run 4:05 but have printed times of 3:59. This version has a hard gated snare, but every other snare hit has added reverb which makes beats 2 and 4 sound different.

I can confirm that the commercial 45 version is on the following CDs:

Body + Soul: Ladies Got Soul (Time-Life)
Dancing Queens (Medalist Entertainment)
Uptown Saturday Night - Dancing Machine (Time Life)
Runway Hits: Music From The Catwalk (Rhino)
MCA Hits Sampler (promo CD)

The alternate mix can be found on the following CDs:

Greatest Hits (MCA, 1996)
Rock On 1985: Walking On Sunshine (Madacy) (This disc is not currently listed in the database. Here's a link to the Discogs listing:
Rock On 1985: Walking On Sunshine.)

This is a slightly different mix. The snare hits sound totally different on this mix, and every snare beat sounds the same (gated and without any trailing reverb).

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 December 2020 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat kindly sent me a dub of his promo 45, and I can now say with 100% certainty that it matches the stock and promo 45 that I have. That means database CDs currently stating "dj 45 version" should simply say "45 version." CDs currently listed as having the "commercial 45 version" should probably say "neither 45 nor LP version."

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version