Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: New Hit Parade/ERIC releases... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 January 2007 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Although '50s music is not my main area of expertise, I do collect and enjoy it. I'm curious to know if anyone has picked up the brand new CD release called Hard to Find Jukebox Classics 1956 put out by Hit Parade Records, which is distributed by the acclaimed oldies reissue label ERIC? It's reported to have eight Top 40 hits from the '50s that have never appeared on CD:

"In a Shanty in Old Shanty Town" (Single Version) - Somethin' Smith & Redheads
"City of Angels" - The Highlights
"From the Candy Store On the Corner to the Chapel On the Hill" - Tony Bennett
"Moonglow & Theme from 'Picnic'" (Stereo Single Version) - Morris Stoloff & His Orchestra
"White Silver Sands" - The Owen Bradley Quintet
"Cinco Robles (Five Oaks)" - Russell Arms
"Wringle Wrangle" - Fess Parker
"My Boy - Flat Top" - Dorothy Collins

Hit Parade has also reissued a Georgia Gibbs best-of compilation called The Complete Original Hits of, which includes all of her Top 40 hits, most of which have been long out of print, and some appearing on CD for the first time in the U.S. like "Rock Right" and "The Hula Hoop Song". Pat, perhaps you could give us a more in-depth review of these intriguing releases in the review section of the website?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 23 January 2007 at 10:17pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

I pre-ordered it a few days ago from mymusic.com. It was supposed to have been issued on January 23rd, but they haven't told me yet that it's been shipped. (When I pre-ordered the Cameo/Parkway box from them, they didn't ship it until about three weeks after its release.)

I'm surprised to learn the label is distributed by Eric. I figured Hit Parade was a British label. I believe that in the UK recordings fall into the public domain after 50 years, so these recordings would only recently have fallen into that category. The low price of $13.98 Canadian also led me to believe it was one of those cheapy UK CDs that appear on the market right after the material enters the public domain. These tend to have poor sound quality (since the issuing label doesn't have access to the masters), often vinyl dubs.

Edited by Paul C on 24 January 2007 at 10:32pm
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

The Hit Parade label is distibuted by Eric Records, but it's a Canadian release. Canada has the same copyright law Britain does, I'm told -- 50 years.

Some tracks are likely needle drops, but it's possible there are some tape sources they were able to obtain as well.

Edited by Brian W. on 24 January 2007 at 10:52pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

And, if anyone cares, I read on BSN that Eric will be releasing two more volumes of its Hard to Find 45s on CD series this year. No track listing has been released yet, though.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 January 2007 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

The Eric Records website (www.ericrecords.com) describes this CD as "audiophile quality" and "digitally remastered for highest quality sound". I know this could just be P.R. spin by the website, but Eric does have a great reputation for releasing and being associated with excellent sounding products.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 25 January 2007 at 9:04am

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 January 2007 at 2:36am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

I can tell you that City Of Angels by the Highlights first turned up on ACE's cd The Golden Age of American Popular Music: Hard To Find Hot 100 Hits 1956-1965.

No doubt the mastering on the Hit Parade cd is done by Tom Daly at Skyline Mastering, and if listening through speakers, any vinyl dubs will still sound great (though they may fade a little early), but in headphones any NR artifacts would be more noticable. So, audiophile quality, perhaps, but perhaps not...

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 January 2007 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

TomDiehl1 wrote:
I can tell you that City Of Angels by the Highlights first turned up on ACE's cd The Golden Age of American Popular Music: Hard To Find Hot 100 Hits 1956-1965.

No doubt the mastering on the Hit Parade cd is done by Tom Daly at Skyline Mastering, and if listening through speakers, any vinyl dubs will still sound great (though they may fade a little early), but in headphones any NR artifacts would be more noticable. So, audiophile quality, perhaps, but perhaps not...

Or, ERIC could have used the tape source still held at Capitol/EMI. City of Angels appeared on the 1961 Liberty LP "The Original Hits: Volume Two."

GM
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 January 2007 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

But, since the cd is NOT an "ERIC" release....they likely went with the already on cd source for City Of Angels, from the ACE cd, which is likely from a UK Master tape. Why bother getting a tape from the US ? Licensing fees would have to be paid on it then......go back and read what I said, i said ANY vinyl dubs, not specifying any particular songs.

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

I finally got my copy today and it has the sound quality we've come to expect from anything involving Tom Daly. The only song that sounds like it may have made a trip through vinyl somewhere is Tony Bennett's "From The Candy Store On The Corner To The Chapel On The Hill". (I read an interview with Bennett a while back in which he stated his dislike for many of the mid-50's singles Mitch Miller made him record, which may explain the non-availability of many of them on CD.)

Pat, I see that you've included this CD in the database (and even reviewed it) along with the other Hit Parade releases. Is this an exception to the U.S. only rule? The CD is made in Canada and has a Canadian address (on Taunton Road in Oshawa, Ontario, which means that I must have driven by it this morning!) Hit Parade seems to be even less of a U.S. label than Madacy, which is headquartered in Montreal but has 'branches' in California, New Jersey, Minnesota, and Texas.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

I think the exception for Hit Parade is that it is distributed in the US exclusively by ERIC records and the mastering is entirely done in the US and for all practical purposes, except for copyright reasons, it is a US release. Of course it would be nice to see Pat include all "North America" releases which would include Canadian cds....

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 December 2008 at 1:29am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Great news! ERIC records will be releasing the latest Hard to Find Jukebox Classics installments on their Hit Parade imprint this coming February! The following track listing was posted recently on the Both Sides Now website:

Hard To Find Jukebox Classics 1958: Pop Gold
1. Honeycomb - Jimmie Rodgers
2. You Are My Destiny - Paul Anka
3. (All of a Sudden) My Heart Sings - Paul Anka (stereo)
4. The End - Earl Grant
5. The Hawaiian Wedding Song - Andy Williams (stereo)
6. The Wedding - June Valli (CD debut)
7. The Secret - Gordon MacRae (rare on CD)
8. Miracle of Love - Eileen Rodgers (rare on CD)
9. Treasure of Your Love - Eileen Rodgers (stereo & rare on CD)
10. Put a Light in the Window - The Four Lads (stereo & rare on CD)
11. Everybody Loves a Lover - Doris Day (CD exclusive in stereo)
12. A Wonderful Time Up There - Pat Boone (stereo rerecording)
13. Sugar Moon - Pat Boone (stereo & rare on CD)
14. Belonging to Someone - Patti Page (rare on CD)
15. As Time Goes By - Johnny Nash (CD debut in stereo)
16. The Voice Of Love - Johnny Nash (CD debut in stereo)
17. Pledge of Love - Ken Copeland (CD debut in USA)
18. A Fallen Star - Nick Noble (CD debut)
19. Dance Everyone Dance - Betty Madigan (rare on CD)
20. That Old Black Magic - Louis Prima & Keely Smith
21. You Need Hands - Eydie Gorme (CD debut)
22. Dream - Betty Johnson (CD debut in stereo)
23. Billy - Kathy Linden
24. Goodbye Jimmy, Goodbye - Kathy Linden (CD debut original version)
25. The Little Blue Man - Betty Johnson (rare on CD)
26. Beep Beep - The Playmates (CD debut single version in stereo)

Hard To Find Jukebox Classics 1958: Rhythm & Rock
1. Rock & Roll Is Here To Stay - Danny & The Juniors
2. Black Slacks - Joe Bennett & The Sparkletones
3. When - The Kalin Twins
4. Summertime, Summertime - The Jamies (stereo)
5. I Met Him On a Sunday - The Shirelles
6. La Dee Dah - Billy & Lillie (rare on CD)
7. Forget Me Not - The Kalin Twins (CD debut in USA)
8. Bluebirds Over the Mountain - Ersel Hickey (rare on CD)
9. Hula Love - Buddy Knox
10. Over and Over - Bobby Day
11. Leroy - Jack Scott
12. My True Love - Jack Scott
13. Down the Aisle of Love - The Quin-Tones
14. We Belong Together - Robert & Johnny
15. Matilda - Cookie & His Cupcakes (rare on CD)
16. Try Me - James Brown
17. Please, Please, Please - James Brown
18. Fever - Little Willie John
19. Talk to Me, Talk to Me - Little Willie John
20. Lonely Island - Sam Cooke (CD debut original version)
21. What Am I Living For? - Chuck Willis (stereo & rare on CD)
22. I Cried a Tear - LaVern Baker (stereo)
23. Star Dust - Billy Ward & His Dominoes (stereo & rare on CD)
24. To Be Loved - Jackie Wilson
25. Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want to Meet) - Jackie Wilson
26. I Put a Spell On You - Screamin' Jay Hawkins

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Just got these two new releases. There are at least three tracks that had never been released prior (domestically), plus its great to finally get the true single version of Sam Cooke's "Lonely Island." Every song sounds wonderful. The new mix of Doris Day's "Everybody Loves a Lover" sounds closer to the 45 than the previous stereo version on the Eric release Hard To Find 45's On CD, Vol. 3. I'm sure Pat will be posting his review soon.

smvceo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote smvceo

Gary Mack wrote:
TomDiehl1 wrote:

Or, ERIC could have used the tape source still held at Capitol/EMI. City of Angels appeared on the 1961 Liberty LP "The Original Hits: Volume Two."

GM

Let me clear up any speculation about "City of Angels." For a prior ERIC release where "City of Angels" did not make the cut, Bob Hyde at Capitol/EMI Music Special Markets sent me a digital dub of the tape used on the 1961 Liberty LP. This is the source I used on the Hit Parade release, and I felt it would be the best we'd find. When foreign labels outside of North America would request domestic masters, often they were supplied with a commercial record and told to use that. Consequently, I'm not likely to trust foreign sources of late 50s to early 60s American recordings.
Back to Top View smvceo's Profile Search for other posts by smvceo Visit smvceo's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version