Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: New Edition "If It Isn’t Love" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 31 December 2006 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

I noticed that the database lists the version on "Best of: 20th Century Masters" as the 45 version. However, I own the promo CD single from 1988 (CD45-17542) and it is clearly a different mix. The most noticable difference is that the 20th Century Masters version has a reverb on the vocal track, while the promo does not. The promo version, which sounds like an edit of the LP track and times in at 3:51, also fades out several seconds later than 20th Century Masters. Does the 45 truly include the reverb to the vocal track, thereby making the promo CD single a unique mix?
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

PaulEschen
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 January 2007 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote PaulEschen

My commercial 45 (MCA 53264) does not seem to have reverb on the lead
vocal. The time is listed as 3:39, but times out to 3:48.
Back to Top View PaulEschen's Profile Search for other posts by PaulEschen

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 January 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

For what it's worth, my TM Century disc has the LP edit you're talking about. I always thought it was their unsuccessful attempt at creating the 45 version, but this is interesting new information.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2007 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

I happened to be at the used record store this weekend, but didn't come across a copy of the 45 to compare directly to the CD single.
If anyone would like a dub of the CD single to compare, just let me know and I can email a copy...

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 January 2007 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

I just compared my 45 with the cut on the 20th Century Masters CD and the way they've tampered with the vocals on the CD does make them sound substantially different.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 January 2007 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

So, it's sounding like the versions in the database that currently say "45 version" are actually "neither 45 nor LP version." I believe the track on their Hits CD is also the one with the different reverb on the vocals.

Does anyone have a stock 45 that has the different reverb? It wouldn't be the first time where there's more than one commercial 45 version.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

PaulEschen wrote:
My commercial 45 (MCA 53264) does not seem to have reverb on the lead
vocal. The time is listed as 3:39, but times out to 3:48.
My promo 45 has this same, listed (3:39), actual (3:48) version on one side of it. The other side of my promo 45, however, has a version called the "Busby Edit". It has a listed time of (3:39) and an actual time of (3:47), and is a slightly different mix, and I will shoot out a copy of this version out to Aaron K shortly, for his analysis. My promo CD single for this (CD45-17542) has only one track, a non-described version, with a listed time of (3:39), but an actual time of (3:50).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 1:50am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks to some assistance from Jim, it can be concluded that the "remixed 45 version" comment should be changed to "dj 45 version" or something to that effect. The version with the echo/reverb differences on CD are actually the "Busby Edit" that appears on the promo 45.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Good work, Aaron! It's always nice to see a mystery mix or edit on CD turn out to be a radio version.

Does anyone specifically recall hearing this remix of "If It Isn't Love" on the radio? I believe my local stations played the commercial 45.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 March 2010 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

If I understand correctly, only the LP version & the Busby edit are available on commercial CD. The 45 edit was released on a promo not generally available to the public.

Can the LP version be edited down to the 45 version? If so, can you lay out the specific edit points?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 April 2010 at 2:33am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I'm bumping this because I'm still wondering if radio played the edit or the remix, & if the album version can be edited to the 45 length... & if so, what those edit points would be.

THANKS! :)

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 April 2010 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

NightAire wrote:
I'm bumping this because I'm still wondering if radio played the edit or the remix, & if the album version can be edited to the 45 length... & if so, what those edit points would be.

THANKS! :)

The edit version (from the promo CD single) was the version played by at least one of the top-40s in Minneapolis.

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2010 at 1:54am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

It now appears, after going over a copy of the 45 edit, that this version can NOT be edited down from the album version due to unique vocals at the end.

Vocals are much drier than the "Busby edit," similar or identical to the album version. Lyrics & vamping end suddenly at 3:31, sounding like somebody punched them out of the mix, or we jumped forward in a remix.

All of the instruments except for the rhythm section fade out, leaving just the drums & assorted percussion to fade to the end of the song.

The album version allows the vocals to continue, then the song ends cold with voice and instruments.

TO CONFIRM: There are THREE versions of this song.

1) Album version, from the album obviously.
2) Busby edit, on many CDs & flip-side of DJ promo.
3) 45 edit / mix, on commercial & DJ promo CD and 45.

...correct?

Also, at least some of not all stations played the 45 edit / mix at the time; the Busby edit was not often heard, right?

It appears there was also a 7:42 club mix and several variations of the same, but I'm unaware of these showing up on CD anywhere.

(It's possible the album version + the instrumental version on the B-side might allow you to get close to the 45 edit / mix, but I've never heard the instrumental version.)

Does this about cover it?

Edited by NightAire on 08 November 2010 at 1:55am

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2010 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as mca 53264 states the run time as 3:39 but actually runs 3:50......i also have the promo cd single issued as mca cd45-17542 and contains one track listed as 3:39 but actually runs 3:50....the promo cd single has the same cover art as the commercial 45 picture sleeve..

Plastic Steel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2016 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote Plastic Steel

I was comparing the 45 with the LP version and I came up with another observation. On the 45, at around the 2:53 mark (right after he sings "...really helped me realiiiize"), the mix suddenly seems to have a lot more reverb in it. The LP version remains dry through the end of the song (which is different from the 45).

It's possible my 45 isn't in the best of shape, since I bought it when this song came out in late summer '88 and played it quite a bit, but I'm really hearing that reverb suddenly appear at that point.

Since the "Busby" edit has more reverb, I tinkered with trying to tack that onto the end of the (edited) LP version to get the 45 edit, however the Busby edit is missing a "Whyyyyy does it hurt so bad" over top the chorus at 2:56. Other than that, though, it sure sounds like the Busby edit got added to the (edited) LP version at 2:53 with that reverb popping up in the mix and lasting through the end of the 45.
Back to Top View Plastic Steel's Profile Search for other posts by Plastic Steel

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version