Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Nilsson-"Me And My Arrow" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 December 2006 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Harry Nilsson did an animated TV special in early '71, from which an LP was also produced, titled "The Point!" The whole album featured a story narration segment by Harry, followed by a song; then back and forth again. I often wondered if RCA might have done a 2-version promo 45 for it, as I faintly recall hearing a narration intro for it a time or two on local 1971 radio, and although it was a good sized hit locally, they 98% played the song only. This "short" side of the promo 45, which is also the commercial 45 version, is obviously titled "Me And My Arrow", and has a listed and actual time of (2:03). However, the other side of my promo 45 features the exact same narration segment (entitled "The Town") that directly precedes it on the album, with no dead air inbetween, just like on the LP, immediately kicking in with "....Arrow." On this promo 45 side, the title is worded "The Town (Narration)/Me And My Arrow", has a listed time of (3:27), but an actual time of (3:28).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 April 2008 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I thought I'd bring Jim's post back to the forefront because his valuable info regarding the promo 45 for Nilsson's "The Town (Narration)/Me and My Arrow" was never incorporated into the database. I'm in the process of replicating the promo 45 version using Nilsson's The Point CD as my editing source and Jim was gracious in supplying me with a dub of his vinyl 45 promo. For what it's worth, the ending on the promo 45 is severely truncated. In other words, as the song is fading out, the audio all of a sudden completely cuts out at 3:28 and is quite jarring to the ear!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 March 2009 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

One more thing... Jim reports the actual and printed commercial 45 run time for Nilsson's "Me and My Arrow" is 2:03. Currently, the database only notes the DJ 45 run times.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version