Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Wyclef Jean single question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 November 2006 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

does anyone know if the "pop version" on the domestic maxi single for "Gone Till November" is the LP and hit version, or is it a different mix entirely? The other remix on the single is called the "makin runs" remix.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

sampled the album version on itunes, and it is entirely different than the
"pop version" on the CD single. the LYRICS are even different. I wonder
which version was the hit version, considering the album version is not
even on the domestic CD single....
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 November 2006 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I have checked the cd single of Gone Till November, Columbia 78752 and sure enough, the opening line is "I want to dedicate this song..." while the cd opens with the line "I dedicate this record to..." so I have gone back and made annotations in the database as to 45 and LP version. Now I do not have the cassette single which Ed probably has so if he could pass along the opening line of Gone Till November on the cassette single then we will have all bases covered
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 November 2006 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat...can't help on this one...i only have the cd single (same as the one you have)....by 1997 most billboard singles where available as cd singles, which i was focused on during that period.....sorry i can't help.....

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 November 2006 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Pat Downey wrote:
I have checked the cd single of Gone Till November, Columbia 78752 and sure enough, the opening line is "I want to dedicate this song..." while the cd opens with the line "I dedicate this record to..." so I have gone back and made annotations in the database as to 45 and LP version. Now I do not have the cassette single which Ed probably has so if he could pass along the opening line of Gone Till November on the cassette single then we will have all bases covered

Just checked the cassette single and it matches the CD single: "I want to dedicate this song..."
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I seem to have a different version of "Gone Till November" on my Promo Only: Mainstream Radio DJ CD subscription series. It begins with a :24 guitar intro and does not have either of the opening lines found on the 45 and LP versions. The run time is 3:33. Does anyone know which version this is?

Also, the database currently states: (dj copies of this cd single run (3:16) the "radio edit"). Does anyone have a different promo CD single release containing the "pop version" or other versions of "Gone Till November"?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 June 2007 at 2:00am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Sorry for the delay in responding, guys - this one was deeply buried. My promo CD single, CSK 3930, has 4 cuts:

1-Pop Version (listed 3:27; actual 3:33)(this cut starts with "I want to dedicate....")
2-Radio Edit (listed and actual 3:16) (no dedication at start)
3-The Makin' Runs Remix (listed 4:05; actual 4:04)
4-The Makin' Runs Remix Instrumental (listed and actual 3:42)

Todd, my promo CD single does not have your "Promo Only" version, but by '98 I wasn't going nuts trying to locate EVERY issue of a promo CD single anymore, so there indeed may have been another promo CD single issued, featuring that version. Or, it could simply be a unique mix that Ruffhouse provided to "Promo Only." That certainly wouldn't be unheard of.

Edited by jimct on 03 June 2007 at 5:58am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 June 2007 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks as always, Jim! Yes, there have been a few cases where the version of a song issued on the Promo Only subscription series is unique. As documented in another thread, it appears for example that Dishwalla's "Counting Blue Cars" has a radio edit not found on an official promo CD single release.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 July 2009 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I have another dj cd single of "Gone Till November" and that is Columbia CSK 3756 and contains the following tracks:
1) "radio edit" which states and runs (3:16) with :12 of instrumental introduction with no dedication
2) "LP version" which states and runs (3:27) with the opening line "I dedicate this record to..."
3) "the Makin' Runs remix" which states and runs (4:05)
4) "LP instrumental" which states (3:29) but runs (3:28)
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Steve Sharp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 July 2009 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote Steve Sharp

I was under the impression that the "hit version" of this one is the Makin' Runs mix. Is that correct?
Back to Top View Steve Sharp's Profile Search for other posts by Steve Sharp Visit Steve Sharp's Homepage

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 July 2009 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote eric_a

Steve Sharp wrote:
I was under the impression that the "hit version" of this one is the Makin' Runs mix. Is that correct?

My station at the time played the remix, but I'm not sure if this was representative.

BTW, the original video - set in an airport - used the original mix, not the Makin' Runs remix. I seem to remember a remix video with R. Kelly but can't find that on YouTube, so I may be wrong. Does anyone else remember that?
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 July 2009 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It might have depended on the format. None of the pop stations in my area played the song; however, my local Rhythmic CHR played the "Makin' Runs Remix." I always liked the upbeat remix far better than the original version, which is more like a ballad.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Steve Sharp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 July 2009 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote Steve Sharp

I agree with Aaron.

Eric: I have the remix video in my music video collection, so yes, it exists.
Back to Top View Steve Sharp's Profile Search for other posts by Steve Sharp Visit Steve Sharp's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 August 2013 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just obtained another promo CD for this, which is different from both Jim's and Pat's promos. This one is really interesting:

OSK 3509
1. The Makin' Runs Remix (listed 4:05; actual 3:42)
2. LP Version (listed & actual 3:27)
3. The Makin' Runs Remix Instrumental (listed & actual 3:42)

What makes this one interesting, aside from the fact that the remix is the first track, is that this copy of the remix does not have the last rap verse. Instead, it has some unique ad-libbed vocals by Wyclef ("East coast, shake it / West coast, shake it...") This part is nowhere to be found on the 4:05 version of the remix.

Lastly, I do have the official promo for the :24 second intro version that Todd mentions above:

CSK 41045
1. Pop Version - no rap intro (listed & actual 3:35)

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 June 2023 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I recently came across a promo CD-R that has the "Original Chorus Version" of the Makin' Runs Remix. It replaces the "Michelle my belle" part with lyrics from the original version "I'll be gone till November...January, February, March, April, May..." This is the only place I've ever heard this unique mix.

1. Radio Remix (actual 3:43)
2. Lead Vox Up 1db (actual 3:43)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version