Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Pearl Jam help Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 November 2006 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

Okay, I know the band barely ever cracked the top 40, but I have a question about the song "Jeremy." I had the CD single from years back, and the song ran 4:50. I just purchased the "RearViewMirror" CD, and the song runs 5:20 and sounds totally different. It is extremely wet sounding, and while there are 3 songs credited specifically as being remixed on the compilation, this isn't one of them. Are there any diehard fans out there who could tell me if these are different versions of "Jeremy" and why there is a length difference? Thanks.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 November 2006 at 12:12am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

While I'm not a diehard Pearl Jam fan, I do have some info to provide. The song "Jeremy" was released in two different mixes. The first mix is the LP version, which is featured on the LP Ten and most likely RearViewMirror. (I have the latter CD, but it's at home, and I'm on vacation right now.)

The remixed version was featured on both commercial and promo copies of the CD single; however, the commercial single fades early, as budaniel points out. Promo CD single copies run approximately the same length as the LP version and contain the cold ending (like the LP version). The video uses the full-length remixed version from the promo single. Both the promo and commercial cd single versions are censored (removing one instance of the "f" word), while the LP version is not.

One other track from Ten was also remixed for the promo single (and may even have differences in the vocal take), but not for the commercial single. That track is the previous single "Even Flow." As far as I know, all the other singles from that album are the same as the LP versions. The promo single remix for "Even Flow" IS included on the RearViewMirror compilation.

Edited by aaronk on 07 November 2006 at 12:18am
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 November 2006 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

thanks. That pretty much answers my question. Now I have to see if the
song is censored on rearviewmirror.

It seems that all the other singles from Ten are the ones that are remixed
on rearviewmirror--the only tracks remixed on the CD.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 November 2006 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

budaniel wrote:
It seems that all the other singles from Ten are the ones that are remixed
on rearviewmirror--the only tracks remixed on the CD.

Yes, there were three or four tracks specifically remixed for that compilation. (Going from memory, I believe it was Once, Alive, Black, and possibly one other.) I read somewhere that the remixes were done to remove some of the early 90s "gloss" that made the songs sound somewhat dated.

If you don't get the "Jeremy" mystery solved before I return home, I'll pull out both my promo cd and RearViewMirror compilation to compare the two.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 November 2006 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

budaniel wrote:
Now I have to see if the
song is censored on rearviewmirror.

By the way, the one instance of the "f" word comes at the beginning of the second verse. "Clearly I remember picking on the boy / Seemed a harmless little ----."

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 April 2007 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

Hey Aaron,

I never see this promo for sale anywhere. Any ideas? Can you give us any cat. numbers?
Back to Top View chendagam's Profile Search for other posts by chendagam

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 April 2007 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Chendagam, the only promo CD single I EVER saw for "Jeremy" has a catalog # of ZSK 4606, has a listed time of (5:21), an actual time of (5:19), is censored, and I believe was originally issued the same year as their CD "Ten", 1992. It was obviously not a "hit" during that release. Then, there was a relatively big 1995 to-do over a hard-to-find, intended-to-be-import-only, 3-track CD single. It featured 1-Jeremy (listed and actual time 4:49, and also censored), 2-Footsteps, 3-a previously unreleased track, titled "Yellow Ledbetter." Soon after, there was a Billboard article about "Yellow Ledbetter" somehow garnering a surprising amount of US radio airplay, off the import single, and many people were clamoring for it. Epic was stunned; they weren't at all "working" it, and no CD of it had even been serviced to US radio. Nevertheless, after reading the article, our PD at the time asked me if I happened to have a copy of the import CD single, knowing me to be the "collector" type. I recently had picked it up at a local record shop, and told him yes. He asked me to immediately bring it in. We instantly started playing it at our station, and kept playing it for close to 3 months; it was a solid hit for our Top 40 station in 1995. As a result of all this hoopla, Epic soon relented, and decided to issue a US commercial CD single, exactly duplicating the contents of the import CD single. Epic even stickered it, saying "Not To Be Confused With More Expensive (Identical) Import Version." To my knowledge, no 1995 promo CD was ever issued for this, but in an earlier post in this thread, Aaron does appear to possibly have one for it. It's possible-no one can know of every release. My catalog # for the US commercial CD single is "34K 77935", and for the parallel import, the catalog # is "658180 2", stating "Made In Austria." I don't know how much actual airplay "Jeremy" received in 1995, but I suspect that it owes much of its Billboard chart appearance at that time to sales of that 3-track commercial CD single, and all the "Yellow Ledbetter" fuss. I do acknowledge that "Jeremy" has certainly garnered more than its share of radio spins over the years (I also thought it to be FAR better than "Ledbetter".) 90s songs are often SO much harder to pin down details like "if/when it was an actual hit" details for, given all the industry changes going on around that time, as well as its low peak position. I believe, though, as the band grew in stature, some prime Pearl Jam "catalog" tracks, like Jeremy, became "fair game" as viable Top 40 gold, in this rather unconventional way. Hope this info helps you, guys.    

Edited by jimct on 09 April 2007 at 5:31pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 April 2007 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

The only thing I'd like to add to Jim's explanation above is that "Jeremy" did hit #70 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart on December 11, 1993 and I do recall our local Mainstream Top 40 station giving it a few spins around that time (it had been a MUCH bigger hit on the local rock station during the fall of 1992).
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 April 2007 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

No, I highly doubt there is a promo for "Yellow Ledbetter." My promo CD is the same as Jim's for "Jeremy." 1-track with only the remixed censored version (no fade).

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2007 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote chendagam

Anybody know what version appears on the greatest hits CD?
Back to Top View chendagam's Profile Search for other posts by chendagam

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 April 2007 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It's the LP version on "Rearviewmirror."

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version