Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Bobby Marchan - There’s Something On Your Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 October 2006 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

Here's one that has had me puzzled for some time. Hopefully someone will be able to enlighten me.

The 45 of Bobby Marchan's 'There's Something On Your Mind' has Part 1 on one side and Part 2 on the other side. Although the label doesn't designate either side as the A-side, the side with Part 1 has the matrix number FM-145-45 in the runout groove while the other side has the matrix number FM-146-45, suggesting that Part 1 is the A-side.

Every Record Research book and every edition of Top 40 Music On Compact Disc that I have seen give the title as 'There's Something On Your Mind (Part 2)'. Every CD listed in the database containing this CD has either both parts or just Part 2. None have only Part 1.

During the entire eleven week run this song had on the Billboard Hot 100, however, the title was listed as simply 'There's Something On Your Mind' with no indication that it was Part 2 that was the hit. I don't have the R&B charts (on which the song reached #1) or the Cash Box charts, so I don't know how the song was listed on those charts.

When 'There's Something On Your Mind' debuted on the Hot 100, Jessie Hill's 'Ooh Poo Pah Doo - Part II' was on the chart. Part II of the latter song is considered the hit but unlike the Bobby Marchan song, the Hot 100 listed it as such.

Can anyone explain why Part 2 of 'There's Something On Your Mind' is considered the hit? On what historical evidence is this designation based? Perhaps Part 2 received most of the airplay, but I am not quite old enough to remember.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 October 2006 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

One of the affectionately-known Musicradio 77 WABC "Survey Guys", Randy Price, has posted all of that era's Cashbox charts, which Pat heavily incorporates for inclusion in his database. Marchan debuted Cashbox on 6-25-60, at #66, and Part 2 IS specified on that issue of Cashbox, according to Price's list for that date. That could explain that one, Paul. But I have the same dilemma for another song, Little Sister's 1970 hit "You're The One." My DJ 45 indicates Part II as the "Plug Side" - it was a big hit in my city, and the station I listened to played ONLY Part II. Price's Cashbox info also shows "Part 2" specified, for the weeks I just browsed. However, all of the Whitburn/Billboard documentation I've ever seen/owned a copy of, always list "Part I" as the "hit." I guess I have the same question as Paul C for this one - why?
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

Thanks for the info, Jim. I was hoping someone would have access to the Cashbox charts.

As for "You're The One", I'm afraid I can only add to the confusion. The Hot 100 didn't specify a Part I or Part II, although it did for a number of other songs on the chart at the same time. As you state, Joel Whitburn has always listed Part I as the hit. If all this wasn't confusing enough, my Atlantic 45 re-issue says it's Part II, but it's actually Part I. (Part I starts cold with the vocals 'I'm the one, you're the one' and runs about 3:30; Part II starts with music and runs about 3:13.)
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 May 2016 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

The following info pertains to the "Part 2" side of this song.

My commercial 45, confirmed as Fire 1022, with handwritten deadwax of
"FM-146-45", followed by "triangle 35513-X", has a listed time of (2:45), but
an actual time of (2:50).

There are currently nine db CDs that include just "Part 2" of the song on
them, all in mono, with times ranging from (2:43) to (2:49). Just two of the
nine CD versions ran the longest - (2:49). One was his "Golden Classics" on
Collectables, which was the one I went with.

Edited by jimct on 11 May 2016 at 8:06pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version