Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Night Ranger - Sister Christian Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 October 2006 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The database lists this comment for Night Ranger's "Sister Christian":

1984 SISTER CHRISTIAN dj copies of this 45 ran (3:55) and (4:04); commercial copies were all (4:04); actual 45 time is (4:14) not (4:04) as stated on the commercial and dj copies

I just received a dub of the DJ 45 (the version without the guitar solo), and the actual run time is (3:59). Without having the actual 45, I cannot say if this has the printed run time of (3:55), but if so, that time would be incorrect.

Edited by aaronk on 19 October 2006 at 11:09pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2006 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

I have the commercial 45 and the DJ 45 (which states on label "without guitar solo"). They are not the same edit. My commercial 45 does time out to 4:14. My dub of the other version timed out to 3:59.

Edited by cmmmbase on 20 October 2006 at 4:40pm
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 October 2006 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Chuck, you are correct that the actual time is (3:59). I didn't take off the blank space at the beginning of my dub. However, Pat's info would need to be updated as the (3:55) printed time is off by four seconds.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 February 2007 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

on another note regarding this song.....i have the "big 80's" vh1 cd and it has the proper 45 version, but this song on this cd is very very hissy....the fade out is almost unlistenable.....does anyone else have a cd with the 45 version on it that are not hissy.....i see there are some time life cd's which have the correct 45 version....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 February 2007 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The Rhino Omigod box set has a much less hissy version, although it runs slower than the 45 version. If I had to make an educated guess, I would say Rhino made an edit of the LP version to match the 45, as the box set version runs at the LP speed. More evidence: My copies of the LP version are far less hissy than that VH1 CD.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 December 2008 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

bumping this one up to the top for the new viewers......does anyone have the proper 45 of this song that's not so hissy......i just reviewed the song again and the big 80's vh1 cd version is unbearable to listen to....unbelievably hissy....or can the 45 version be extracted from the lp version and matched for the correct speed??

Edited by edtop40 on 26 December 2008 at 1:30pm

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 December 2008 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Ed:

I have the 45 version on the Casey Kasem CD. Will shoot you a dub.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 December 2008 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

john.....this version is equally as hissy....i'm hoping someone has a cleaner version of the 45 on cd

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 December 2008 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

I have 2 promo singles of this, and both are very hissy sounding (the no-guitar version especially so). Indeed, the VH1 Big 80s CD is pristine by comparison. I wonder if anything cleaner even exists.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 December 2008 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

aaron just sent me a copy of the omigod box set cd version sped up to the correct speed and it's much cleaner (less hissy) than the vh1 big 80's cd version.....thanks aaron...

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 December 2008 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

To create the 45 version, it appears as though an audio engineer at MCA may have dubbed the LP version onto another tape source before making the edits. This tape generation loss could explain the extra hiss on the 45 version.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2009 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Just received a 4:04 listed, 3:59 actual, promo 45 for Sister Christian. It's labeled as being (Without Guitar Solo), though that designation is not in the database.

For the radio guys out there, as my radio mind is cloudy at best on details, was the 3:59 edit especially for A/C stations? Or, did it also get Top 40 play?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2009 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

eriejwg wrote:

For the radio guys out there, as my radio mind is cloudy at best on details, was the 3:59 edit especially for A/C stations? Or, did it also get Top 40 play?

I don't recall the song getting much AC airplay back in '84...AC was still pretty much Barry Manilow, Christopher Cross, etc...even with the guitar solo removed, the song was a bit "rough" for most ACs of that era. Of course times change and I hear it even on the soft ACs (even sometimes with the guitar solo).

Seemed to be a mixed bag with CHRs...some played the edit, some played the version with the guitar bridge.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2009 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I don't recall hearing "Sister Christian" on any Adult Contemporary stations in 1984 either. Like Hykker pointed out, most AC formats back then were predominantly programmed with easy listening ballads and love songs.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

VWestlife
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 April 2021 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote VWestlife

The "Without Guitar Solo" version is not a further edit of the single edit -- instead, it's a different edit of the album version.

Going by the copy that's on the "Boogie Nights" CD, you remove 2:44.31 to 3:41.27, and then speed up the result by about 1.4%.
Back to Top View VWestlife's Profile Search for other posts by VWestlife Visit VWestlife's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version