Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Kenny Dino Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 October 2006 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

Boy, just when you think you've got everything figured out...

I just noticed that the Version of Kenny Dino's "Your Ma Said You Cried In Your Sleep Last Night" on Time-Life's "Glory Days Of Rock 'n' Roll: Hard To Find Hits" appears to have an alternate ending. My 45 is 2:06,(as opposed to TL's 2:14) and it has a much different ending starting at 1:47. The 45 fades, while the TL version ends cold, with Kenny singing over the ending. Anyone know where the TL version came from? Or are there two 45 versions? To whomever is interested, the 45 # is Musicor MU 1013.
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2006 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

Oops, correction - the CD version I mentioned comes from ACE Golden Age #2, not the Time Life Glory Days of R&R CD. However, since the TL version also times at 2:15, I'm guessing it's the same one. Sorry for the mistake.
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 October 2006 at 12:09am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I know the Ace U.K. label prides itself on seeking out the best quality master tapes for its compilations, but don't they usually try to seek out the single mixes as well when possible? I'm wondering because it's very rare to see Ace use a "wrong" version of a hit.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 June 2007 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Todd, Ace UK also happens to be among my most respected "legitimate US 45 version" reissue labels, but I have just obtained a 1961 commercial 45 for it, and Robert's initial post information is almost dead-on correct. My commercial 45 has a listed time of (2:12), but an actual time of (2:05). My 45 features a faded ending. Both the Ace UK Import and the Time/Life CD currently in the database do, in fact, run :10 longer than the 45 does.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 May 2012 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

I don't have the Ace UK CD, but I do have a commercial 45 and the Time-Life CD and agree with Robert that they are different takes. They sound different from the opening 'Bah-Bah-Bah-Bah-Bah's. In addition, as Robert points out, on the 45 there are no vocals by Dino after the (1:47) mark, but on the Time-Life CD his voice continues to be heard beyond this point.

I don't know what the origin of the Time-Life version is, since I can't find any evidence that a Kenny Dino album was ever released.

According to record guides I've consulted, the only Kenny Dino release since 1965 was a 12-inch single in 1980 titled "Love Songs For Seka" (who was an actress of some renown at the time, although I am not familiar with her work).
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 May 2012 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Ace tends to issue the UK versions of songs since they usually have access to UK master tapes. It's possible the single was edited differently for the British market. Has anyone got a copy of the British single on United Artists / HMV ?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 May 2012 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Good point, Tom.

So does anyone know if the correct U.S. 45 version of Kenny Dino's "Your Ma Said You Cried In Your Sleep Last Night" has ever appeared anywhere on CD?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version