Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "I’ll Never Fall in Love Again" - Tom Jon Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mike sparrow
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 October 2006 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote mike sparrow

The database indicates that the 45 version of Tom Jones' "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" had a length of 4:18, but the available versions are 6-8 seconds shorter. Is it just an earlier fade or is there another reason for the difference?   Thanks.
Back to Top View mike sparrow's Profile Search for other posts by mike sparrow

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 October 2006 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I just timed the 45 and the actual 45 running time is (4:15) not (4:18) as stated on the record label. The cd appearances of this song run faster than the 45 so that is where the timing differences come from. I have a Canadian pressing of the LP "The Golden Hits" and the running time on that LP is (4:12)

Edited by Pat Downey on 18 October 2006 at 12:14pm
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2009 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Bringing back an old thread, there were actually 2 45 versions of this song, the aforementioned 4:15 version and a short (listed & actual 2:55) version. My copy is a promo, but I think I've seen this version on a commercial copy too.
There is no designation on the label of it being a short version.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2009 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Yes, Steve, I also own both the long & short commercial 45 pressings. I always thought a reason for this may have been its two different chart runs, which both used the same catalog #, Parrot 40018. This song was initially a Top 50 hit in Oct. of 1967. Although my Pop Annual says both the 1967 & 1969 45 timings are (2:55), I always thought I remembered hearing the 4:00+ version on the AM radio as a kid, but I could be wrong. Then, it resurfaced nearly two years later, this time rising all the way to #6 on my buddy Paul Haney's "favorite publication", in Sept. of 1969. I definitely remember hearing the (2:55) version on my local AM radio station in 1969. My brain was imprinted, because it was the first song I actually enjoyed listening to by him since all the way back to "What's New Pussycat?" My promo 45 has the (2:55) version on one side, and the same song that's on the stock 45's flip, "Once Upon A Time", on the other. But, because they all used the Parrot 40018 catalog #, it's impossible for me to determine if my stock/promo 45s were pressed up in '67 or '69 (maybe our "pressing plant experts" can chime in?) So it's especially hard in this case to determine anything really concrete here, time-wise. Does anyone own a listed (4:18), actual (4:15) promo 45 for this song? Maybe Gary Mack, or someone else who was playin' the hits for us back in the 60's, might have some additional, helpful recollections.

Edited by jimct on 22 February 2009 at 7:48pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 February 2009 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Yes Jim as mentioned in my post above, I have a dj copy of the listed (4:18) actual (4:15) version of this song. The flip is the same as yours, "Once Upon A Time". Speaking of time, did you time the listed (2:55) version?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2009 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat, thanks for the clarification. I did see your earlier post, but you'd made no mention that the 45 timing you'd supplied had come from a DJ copy, so I assumed it had come from a commercial copy. To answer your question, I have three different configurations of the "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" stock 45, and here are the details:

-listed (2:55); actual (2:54) (deadwax: "DR 39768"; large, handwritten letters & numbers)
-listed (2:55); actual (4:14) (deadwax: "DR 39768-1A"; the exact same info then appears again, an inch or so later down the deadwax; very small, handwritten letters & numbers)
-listed (4:18); actual (2:54) (deadwax: "DR 39768-PS"; large, handwritten letters & numbers)

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 February 2009 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

That's very interesting information Jim. Does anyone have the short printed time of (2:55) dj copy that can report on the actual length?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2009 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat, my promo 45 has a listed time of (2:55) and an actual time of (2:54) (it's actually 2:54.8, so I can certainly live with a "listed & actual (2:55)" timing result.) Deadwax for my promo is the same as the last of the 3 I supplied for my stock 45 copies, "DR 39768-PS", but the promo deadwax includes a "triangle 77316", 4 inches later in the deadwax, that doesn't appear on any of my 3 stock copies' deadwax. Suffice it to say, there were plenty of different 45 pressing runs for this song back in the day!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version