Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Knockin’ Boots" - Candyman Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 March 2005 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

"Knockin' Boots" by Candyman runs (3:52) on his album Ain't No Shame in My Game and therefore is considered the LP version. But then I have a different version on Hits of 1990 (Sony Music Special Products 31690), which runs (4:04). On the LP version, the passage from :50 - :59 contains a female voice singing "Ooh boy, I love you so... Never, ever, ever gonna let you go... Once I get my hands on you", while the 4:04 version has an instrumental bridge featuring a giggling female and a cheering crowd during this :50 - :59 time frame.

I'm pretty sure the 4:04 version, which runs 12 seconds longer than the LP version, is a radio mix. But does anyone know if this is the 45 version as well?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 March 2005 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the cassingle "knockin' boots" by candyman issued in 1990 on epic 73450 contains the "ooh boy mix" on side 1.......i've listened to the cassingle version versus the cd "ain't no shame in my game" and they are identical, except the cassingle version fades a few seconds earlier than the cd version.........but they are the same even though the cassingle says its the "ooh boy mix".........hope this helps.....

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2005 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks, Ed. Though I haven't been able to confirm it yet, I think the 4:04 version is indeed a radio mix that can be found on 12" vinyl single and DJ promo single copies. In fact, www.allmusic.com lists "Knockin' Boots" on the 100% Party Hits of the 90's Volume 1 (Priority 50946) CD as being the "Radio Mix".

source: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:2fq67ue080jg
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 March 2005 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

I have a dj cd single of "Knockin' Boots" Epic ESK2173 which states it has the ooh boy mix (3:45) which is really (3:53) and the ooh boy extended mix which states a running time of (4:00) and really runs (3:59). These are the same version up to 3:32 where they differ completely but neither mix is the mix that Todd mentions he found on the Sony Music 31690 cd "Hits Of 1990". It is conceivable that there is another dj cd single with the above mentioned "radio mix" but it is definitely not on Epic ESK2173.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 December 2006 at 2:48am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The (4:04) version that Todd mentions above is, indeed, the "Radio Mix," which is featured on my 12" vinyl single. I have seen CD singles (unsure if they were US or import) that also list the "Radio Mix" in the track listing. The database should probably be amended from "neither 45 nor LP version" to "radio mix."

Additionally, there are a few CDs with the comment "rerecording." I listened to snippets of the CDs with this comment, and I do not hear any difference in the vocal take. There has been a lot of reverb added to the vocals (and probably mix differences), but to my ears, it's the same take.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 December 2006 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I do have 2 different "Knockin' Boots" Promo CD singles: One is the ESK 2173 that Pat references above, but I also have ESK 73450. This one contains 3 cuts, although Cut 3 on it is "Keep On Watcha Doin'", a different song. Cut 1 is the (4:07) listed, but (4:04) actual "Radio Mix", and Cut 2 is the listed (4:35), but actual (4:33) "12" Mix".
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 December 2007 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I have the commercial 7" single for "Knockin' Boots", Epic 34-73450.

The A-side is listed as "Ooh Boy Mix", with a printed time of 3:45 and an actual run time of 3:48. The label says "Special version taken from the Epic release AIN'T NO SHAME IN MY GAME", but there's no "mixed by" or "remixed by" credit. To my ears, it's the same mix, but with a few edits and an early fade.

The B-side is "Keep On Watcha Doin'", with a printed time of 3:35.

The only place I have the song on CD is on Rock On 1990 (Madacy EXR-2-9790, 1997, printed 4:01, actual 4:01). This version has three 16-beat instrumental/giggly breaks from 0:50-0:59, 2:34-2:43 and 3:22-3:31. There's only one 32-beat "ooh boy I love you so" passage from 1:37-1:55.

It's easy to edit this 4:01 version down to the "Ooh Boy Mix":

Keep 0:00.0-0:50.3 of the 4:01 version.
Edit on the snare following the word "boots" - it's on the downbeat.
Keep the 15 beats from 1:37.7-1:46.6 of the 4:01 version. This is the first half of the sung "ooh boy" break, and it exactly replaces the first 15 beats of the 16-beat giggle break in the 4:01 version.
Edit at the 1-beat sampled drum fill before the downbeat.
Keep 0:59.2-3:50.6 of the 4:01 version, with a 32-beat fade from 3:31.6-3:50.6. The shape of the fade on the true 45 isn't quite sinusoidal - it's rather abrupt from beats 8 to 16 of the 32 beats, with an extremely long tail.

Your mixdown will have edits at 0:50.3 and 0:59.2, with a 32-beat fade from 3:31.6-3:50.6.

Note that this is an OUT-OF-SEQUENCE EDIT! <puts on party hat> Wooooooo! Out of sequence! Woo-hoo! Not since Expose's "Come Go With Me" has there been such exciting out-of-sequence editing! Woo! <takes off party hat> :)
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 December 2007 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The "Ooh Boy Mix" is exactly the same as the LP version. As CFTP noted, the "Radio Mix" can be edited to make the "Ooh Boy Mix." My guess as to why they created this version is that the "hook" is the "ooh boy" segment, which really isn't a chorus; however, they spliced it in at the beginning to make it feel more like a chorus. If it weren't for that short sung segment, the song really wouldn't have a chorus.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 December 2007 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I was programming a Music of Your Life affiliate in 1990, so out of Top 40 radio at that point, and wasn't paying attention to our sister station then.

Which version received more airplay in 1990, the "ooh boy mix" or the "radio mix?"
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 December 2007 at 11:45pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I don't remember hearing this one on my local top 40 station, except for on AT40. I seem to remember the countdown shows playing the "Ooh Boy Mix," but I can't say for sure. My reason for believing it wasn't the "Radio Mix" was that I was really starting to get into hip hop at that time, and I owned the Candyman cassette tape, which, as I recall, was exactly the same as what I heard on AT40. I didn't even know what the "Radio Mix" sounded like until years later.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 December 2007 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I just got the CD 100% Party Hits Of The 90'sin and also re-listened to the digital version I have from Ain't No Shame In My Game. BOTH versions feature crowd effects/giggling from :50-:59.

Any clues, folks?

Edited by eriejwg on 29 December 2007 at 5:17pm
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 December 2007 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The original pressing of Ain't No Shame... has the "ooh boy" section instead of the giggling. It may have been changed later, or perhaps it's only this way on the digital release.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 December 2007 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Ok, just listed to the Ain't No Shame version on Napster and it's the "ooh boy.." version.

So, I'm clueless where my file came from. Couldn't have been the 100% Party Hits... because I just got that tonight.

Oh well...

Edited by eriejwg on 29 December 2007 at 10:08pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version