Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Leave a Light On" - Belinda Carlisle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 October 2006 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

I've compared a commercial cassette single copy of Belinda Carlisle's "Leave a Light On" to its CD/LP counterpart. The cassette single runs 4:19 and is simply an early fade of the CD/LP. Therefore, unless vinyl 45 copies contain something different, the comment for the Runaway Horses CD (MCA 6639) should be changed to: (LP length), while the comment for the Her Greatest Hits disc (MCA 10606) should be modified to read: (fades :04 sooner than the LP length).

Edited by Todd Ireland on 12 October 2006 at 10:06pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 October 2006 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I have a minor correction to make... The cassette single's actual run time is 4:17, not 4:19 as stated in my previous post.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 October 2007 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Two minor oddities I noticed for this song.

First, I discovered that I have a promo 45 for it. That, all by itself surprises me, because I thought promo 45s for radio were pretty much replaced by promo CD singles by late 1989.

The promo 45 has the commercial 45 version on both sides, in stereo on both sides, with a printed time of 4:15 and an actual running time of about 4:17.

I have the actual US 45 version on the UK compilation Now That's What I Call Music 16, so that was apparently the UK single version as well.

Second, there's an even earlier fade on the British compilation Now 1989 (1993), which runs about 3:59. Not sure where this edit came from - it might have been just for the Now CD; I've found other early fades on those CDs and it wouldn't surprise me.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 October 2010 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I've noticed 2 import CD singles of "Leave a Light On" - one has a bonus cut called the "Kamikazee mix", and the other has a bonus cut called the "extended mix". And I can't find timings (or remixer's names) anywhere to see if these are the same or different. Does anyone know if TWO different extended remixes were ever done for this song - or if these are the same exact version but labeled differently?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Dale in Edmontn
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 August 2012 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote Dale in Edmontn

EdisonLite wrote:
I've noticed 2 import CD singles of "Leave a Light On" - one has a bonus cut called the "Kamikazee mix", and the other has a bonus cut called the "extended mix". And I can't find timings (or remixer's names) anywhere to see if these are the same or different. Does anyone know if TWO different extended remixes were ever done for this song - or if these are the same exact version but labeled differently?

Hello, I have both tracks if you would like to check out the differences. The Kamikazee Mix is 4:49 and the Extended Mix is over 8 minutes - too much of a good thing if you ask me, LOL!
Back to Top View Dale in Edmontn's Profile Search for other posts by Dale in Edmontn

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 August 2012 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Thanks for the offer, Dale, but since writing that post in 2010, I have since purchased both import CD singles to have both versions. I found both shortly after posting that. Thanks for the offer!
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Dale in Edmontn
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 August 2012 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote Dale in Edmontn

EdisonLite wrote:
Thanks for the offer, Dale, but since writing that post in 2010, I have since purchased both import CD singles to have both versions. I found both shortly after posting that. Thanks for the offer!

Oops! I guess I AM a little late to the party! Glad you got what you are looking for. I went through a "Belinda Carlisle Phase" in the late 80's/early 90's and got my hands on most of her singles/promos on CD, which, now that I am an adult, sit in a box in storage. LOL!       
Back to Top View Dale in Edmontn's Profile Search for other posts by Dale in Edmontn

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 August 2012 at 6:03am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Unfortunately, her 7" mix of "I Feel the Magic" has never been released on CD, CD single or iTunes anywhere in the world - unless you know of something I don't. So I had to pull that single mix off her commercially released HI-FI VHS-format music video collection, which certainly sounded better than any vinyl copy with pops/clicks and record noises/wear.

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 August 2021 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

EdisonLite wrote:
Unfortunately, her 7" mix of "I Feel the Magic" has never been released on CD, CD single or iTunes anywhere in the world - unless you know of something I don't.

I stumbled across the extremely rare "MTV High Priority" CD a couple of months ago (I'd been looking for it for years because it includes the Soft Intro version of Stevie Nicks' "I Can't Wait". Anyway, I was just listening to it and was surprised to hear that it features the 7" Mix of "I Feel The Magic".

(edit - I just looked up the CD on Discogs and it is noted as including the 45 mix, so I guess I'm not the first to discover this)

Edited by 995wlol on 23 August 2021 at 8:19pm
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 August 2021 at 1:02am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

That's amazing! I never knew the single mix existed anywhere on CD. In fact, neither did MCA/Universal. When they did a boxed set of all of Belinda's singles as individual CD singles, they used the album mix for this single. Whereas I believe every other CD single in that collection used the correct single mix/edit.

Maybe it was a 3rd party like Cherry Red that did the collection; but in either case, the album version was supplied for the single, because presumably they couldn't find the single master tape.

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 August 2021 at 5:43am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

995wlol wrote:

(edit - I just looked up the CD on Discogs and it is noted as including the 45 mix, so I guess I'm not the first to discover this)

Hey, I made that notation!

I came into the single mix by accident the same way. I purchased the MTV comp for the "Soft Intro" version of Stevie Nicks' "I Can't Wait", and the Belinda track was a great surprise. It's a bit odd
that no one can seem to find this tape these days. Maybe they need to check with whoever put the MTV disc together at RCA ;-)

Edited by EternalStatic on 28 August 2021 at 5:59am
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

music4life75
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2022 at 12:46am | IP Logged Quote music4life75

995wlol wrote:
EdisonLite wrote:
Unfortunately, her 7" mix of "I Feel
the Magic" has never been released on CD, CD single or iTunes anywhere in
the world - unless you know of something I don't.

I stumbled across the extremely rare "MTV High Priority" CD a couple of
months ago (I'd been looking for it for years because it includes the Soft
Intro version of Stevie Nicks' "I Can't Wait". Anyway, I was just listening to it
and was surprised to hear that it features the 7" Mix of "I Feel The Magic".

(edit - I just looked up the CD on Discogs and it is noted as including the 45
mix, so I guess I'm not the first to discover this)

I have the Vinyl of this and Discogs lists “I Feel The Magic” at 3:16 instead
of 3:19 on the CD. Plus the notes under the CD listing aren’t listed on the
vinyl release.
Back to Top View music4life75's Profile Search for other posts by music4life75 Visit music4life75's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2022 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Has anyone listened to the single version mix of Belinda Carlisle's "I Feel the Magic" on the "MTV High Priority CD" and determined whether a vinyl source or tape source was used? Maybe the reason the single mix hasn't shown up on any of the Belinda Carlisle compilations - including the complete Singles box set (!) was because MCA lost the single master tape, and this CD is simply a cleaned vinyl version?? I hope we can get to the bottom of this.

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 February 2022 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

EdisonLite wrote:
Has anyone listened to the single version mix of Belinda Carlisle's "I Feel the Magic" on the "MTV High Priority CD" and determined whether a vinyl source or tape source was used? Maybe the reason the single mix hasn't
shown up on any of the Belinda Carlisle compilations - including the complete Singles box set (!) was because MCA lost the single master tape, and this CD is simply a cleaned vinyl version?? I hope we can get to the bottom of this.

It sounds like a tape source to me: there is audible tape hiss on the fade. Despite being a different mix, the EQ is pretty similar to the original Belinda CD mastering of the LP Mix.
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 February 2022 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

EternalStatic wrote:
995wlol wrote:

Hey, I made that notation!

I came into the single mix by accident the same way. I purchased the MTV comp for the "Soft Intro" version of Stevie Nicks' "I Can't Wait", and the Belinda track was a great surprise. It's
a bit odd
that no one can seem to find this tape these days. Maybe they need to check with whoever put the MTV disc together at RCA ;-)

Another one of those songs that escaped my memory. Was this MTV only? I sure don't remember hearing it on the radio.
Is it possible to re-make the 45 version from the Greatest Hits version? Or is it altogether different?

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 February 2022 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

The 45 mix is a different mix than the LP mix, so it can't be made from the album mix.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version