Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Essential Gloria Estefan Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 October 2006 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

I picked up the new Essential Gloria Estefan that was released this week, hoping to finally get the elusive 45 versions of Bad Boy and Falling In Love (Uh Oh) on CD.

Unfortunately, neither of these tracks are the 45 versions. The version of Bad Boy on this CD is not the LP version; it may be some kind of edit of the 12 inch version, or an alternate mix that was mis-labeled when the engineer pulled the tapes. It's labeled as "single version" in the liner notes, though. Falling In Love sounds like the LP version.

A big disappointment...
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 October 2006 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I believe someone posted in another thread about Gloria Estefan that the single version of "Bad Boy" in the US was different from the single version in all other countries. Perhaps the version you have on Essential was the single version in other parts of the world.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2006 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Pressed for time before work so I'm rush-typing this as I would say it...all hyper-like.

Just picked this up. A little bitter that a "chunk" of plastic is missing from the center of my CD1. Still playable, but I now have to make my way all the way back to the record store to exchange it for a copy I can trust to hold up, lol.

"Bad Boy" is indeed the non-US single remix by Pablo Flores that previously appeared on the international pressing of 1992's Greatest Hits.

"Anything For You" appears here in its LP Version instead of the longer single remix that previously appeared on 1992's Greatest Hits.

"Oye Mi Canto" - again, not the single version (Radio Mix by Keith Cohen). Not even a single version (Pablo Flores instead remixed it for non-US territories), but the LP version.

They have now screwed up "Everlasting Love" twice --first on 2001's Greatest Hits Vol. II and here on The Essential-- by giving it the credit Video Version (which would be the Love To Infinity Classic Paradise Radio Edit). Both collections include the original LP version from Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me which was listed as 7" Remix on the original single I believe...meaning technically this is the single version. But why boldy proclaim that this is the video version? Someone at Epic/Sony/wherever needed to waddle into their little DVD vault, watch the video, and 5 seconds in could/hopefully would have caught the mistake.

My biggest gripe? Falling In Love (Uh-Oh) is the LP version, not the Remix, though it is nice to hear either version in remastered form. Great '80s single regardless.

Oh-My-God-I'm-Going-To-Faint-They-Did-Something-Right honours go to the use of the honest to god single remix of "Live For Loving You".

Other correct US single versions making their compilation debut are "Go Away", "I'm Not Giving You Up", "Heaven's What I Feel", "Oye" and "Don't Let This Moment End".

Notable absences: "Can't Forget You", "Betcha Say That", "Seal Our Fate", "Out Of Nowhere".

Still, as far as song selection is concerned this collection is far superior to the two Greatest Hits volumes and is a welcome addition to record store shelves.

Edited by Underground Dub on 10 October 2006 at 9:25pm
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

David Pro
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 August 2023 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote David Pro

Underground Dub wrote:
Pressed for time before work so
Notable absences: "Can't Forget You", "Betcha Say That",
"Seal Our Fate", "Out Of Nowhere".

There was a 3 disc limited edition reissue of The
Essential Gloria Estefan
which came out in 2010. Disc
3 contains the single version of "Betcha Say That" running
3:40.

https://www.discogs.com/Gloria-Estefan-The-Essential-
Gloria-Estefan/release/3640397
Back to Top View David Pro's Profile Search for other posts by David Pro

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 August 2023 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

You can find the 45 version of "Falling In Love (Uh-Oh) on
CD on at least these two sources:

https://www.discogs.com/release/3138011-Gloria-Estefan-And-
Miami-Sound-Machine-Hits
(missing a fraction of the first downbeat on the intro)

https://www.discogs.com/master/605309-Gloria-Estefan-
Playlist-The-Very-Best-Of-Gloria-Estefan
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version