Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Irene Cara "Out Here On My Own" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 October 2006 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

MMathews and I were discussing this 45. I have a 45 that gives the description (under the artist name) "Piano and Vocal" on one side and "Vocal With Full Orchestration" on the other. MMathews says this must be the dj 45. It has a silver label. But there is nothing on the label to indicate such, like "NOT FOR SALE". First of all, because of the silver label -- is this a promo? I know RSO usually had tan labels.

Second, what is the flip of the commercial single? According to my Joel Whitburn book, in the spot where they indicate the B-side title of the 45, they don't list any title, just the paranthetical information:

(Piano and Vocal)

Of course, this is the description on my A-side! Which is odd. Does anyone know the true B-side?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2006 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Gordon: Although my commercial single has the cream-colored label, I believe your/MMathews silver label 45 is also a commercial single. In late 1980, RSO was transitioning over to the silver commercial label; by 1981, all of my RSO commercial 45s were now silver. I also have a white-label promo 45 for "Out Here On My Own." It has the exact same configuration as the commercial 45: Vocal With Full Orchestration on one side, Piano And Vocal on the other. As for which was the actual "A" and "B" sides, Gordon, I do see what you may be referring to. Below the large "RS 1048" catalog # is a small (RS 1048 AS) under the Piano and Vocal side, and (RS 1048 BS) for the other, probably denoting what RSO thought the official "A" side was. There are NO other additional specifics indicated on the promo, as to a "suggested" radio side. That is a little unusual for a 1980 DJ 45. It seems to me that, at the time, RSO didn't really care which one we played, as long as we played ONE of them. Kinda like today's radio - "multiple mixes" options - it is often simply the individual station's preference! We did play the song at my station, and we did opt for the "Full Orchestration" version, which jives with the Whitburn book, but clashes with the "45 small print." This may be as exact as we can get for this one, Gordon.

Edited by jimct on 04 October 2006 at 8:45pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2006 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Thanks for the info, Jim. Very informative.

Does anyone (including Pat) have any 45 of this (commercial or otherwise) that does NOT have the full orchestration on one side and the piano-vocal on the other?

In Mass., we always heard the piano/vocal version. Later, when I moved to VA in 1984, I heard the strings version on one AC radio station fairly frequently.

Rhino put a bonus version of "Out Here..." on their enhanced Fame soundtrack CD a couple years ago, but they didn't use the strings version, they used an instrumental version.

So, if a various artist comp were to come out and use this song, which is considered the single version (or the most popular radio version) -- the one that Joel Whitburn indicates or the one that the codes on the 45 suggest?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 October 2006 at 5:47am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My dj 45 is the same as the one Jim described and I do not have a commercial copy.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 October 2006 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

for whatever it's worth, the only version I encounter during my gig as a music researcher for Mediabase 24/7 is the piano version....
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 October 2006 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hi All,
Yes, I had told Edison that someone had mentioned to me that the strings version was on the DJ 45 only.
Apparently it was in fact on the commercial 45 as well. (I thought the B-side was the instrumental, common practice in those days.)

So I guess I'll ask the ever-popular question here, can we assume that the version with full orchestra is indeed the "45 version" - since it appears Whitburn is listing "piano and vocal" as the flip.
Seems to make sense they took the trouble to add the orch. for the 45.
-MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 October 2006 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

And while we're at it, which version's the LP (I don't have the soundtrack)?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 October 2006 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

The LP version is the piano/vocal version.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 March 2009 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

EdisonLite wrote:
It has a silver label.

Gordon, is your silver label 45 pressed on vinyl or polystyrene? I've been looking for a copy on vinyl, and I'm wondering if any exist. The only copies I've come across have the tan label on styrene; however, "Fame" was issued on silver label 45 pressed on vinyl.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 March 2009 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Aaron, I've read people commenting about styrene vs. vinyl but I'm not really sure how to tell one from the other. Can you be very specific about the differences - and hopefully I can answer your question.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 March 2009 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

From another web site:

VINYL - label is pressed into the record
STYRENE - label is glued on top of record.
The styrene are molded and have a flat edge to the record with a fine line down the center of the edge.
The vinyl issued have a sharp edge (as do most records) and were trimmed at the pressing plants.
A styrene record is physically lighter in weight than a vinyl one and a bit stiffer.Most US 45s on Columbia and A&M are styrene, most Capitol and RCA's are on vinyl.

I don't know if this is a good example or not, but once you know what I'm talking about, you can easily identify the two types.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 March 2009 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

aaronk wrote:

Most US 45s on Columbia and A&M are styrene, most Capitol and RCA's are on vinyl.

I'm too lazy to go upstairs & check some random A&M 45s, but if they're styrene they're the best quality styrene I've ever seen. Most styrene records get cue burned rather quickly in broadcast use, but I don't ever recall an A&M 45 doing that.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 March 2009 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Hykker wrote:
aaronk wrote:

Most US 45s on Columbia and A&M are styrene, most Capitol and RCA's are on vinyl.

I'm too lazy to go upstairs & check some random A&M 45s, but if they're styrene they're the best quality styrene I've ever seen. Most styrene records get cue burned rather quickly in broadcast use, but I don't ever recall an A&M 45 doing that.

Both Columbia and A&M used a lot of vinyl for promo copies. Stock copies tended to be mostly styrene on those two record labels.

Also, I might be mistaken about that vinyl Irene Cara "Fame" single being an original pressing. Although there is no mention of it on the label, it is quite possibly a later "oldies" reprint.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2009 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I'm looking at my 45 right now - I can't tell if the label is pressed or glued on, and I'm not sure of the difference between molded and non-molded ... BUT ... the record has a flat edge and there seems to be a line (or a few lines) down the center of the edge. So I'd say this is styrene.

<The only copies I've come across have the tan label on styrene>

And mine is a silver label on styrene, so I guess this 45 was never pressed on vinyl ... unless someone here has seen one to the contrary.

Luckily, my cleaning of this 45 mix (with the orchestral strings) makes it sound like CD quality, and it's probably the best I'll ever hear of this mix, since the expanded Fame soundtrack CD included an alternate version of this song and it wasn't THIS!

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 March 2009 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

Wow. I never had ANY idea there was a full orchestral version of this song. I'm going to have to track down a copy of this 45. I can't BELIEVE it's not on the Fame soundtrack reissue.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version