Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: sting "be still my beating heart" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 October 2006 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat

you state in the db that all 45s runs 3:59.....i see whitburn also reports a 3:59 version as the 45.....my commercial 45 runs 5:12 and is an edit of the full 5:31 cd/lp version.....to make sure your not the only one off base on this one, the 45's face states the run time as 4:40 but it true runs 5:12 and my 45 has in the run-out groove "a&m - am - 02992 - a - L pr-1"...........you may want to review your 45....you may have the promo 45 as your point of reference.....

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 October 2006 at 5:53am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I can find only my commercial copy at the moment Ed and it states a running time of (4:40) but like you said the actual running time is (5:13). Does anyone have a dj copy available to give us a report on the stated and actual running time?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 December 2007 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat, my apologies for overlooking this question, which you first asked over a year ago. My commercial copy has a non-described version, the same as Ed's, with a listed time of (4:40) and an actual time of (5:13). My promo 45 has this exact same, listed (4:40), actual (5:13) version on one side of it, but it is called the "Original Edit" on the promo 45. The other side of my promo 45 has a listed (3:59), actual (3:57) version on it, and is titled "Sting's Edit".
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

rnell
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 December 2007 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote rnell

For anyone interested Promo CD has 2 versions, the Sting's edit running 3.57 and the LP version running 5.30.
Back to Top View rnell's Profile Search for other posts by rnell

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Online
Posted: 30 December 2008 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just took a careful listen to the 3:57 promo version AKA "Sting's Edit." This has to be one of the worst edits in history. Very clunky and awkward sounding! If Sting really did edit this one, let's hope it was one of the few songs he took the razor blade to.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2009 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Sounds like Mr. Sumner better not quit his day job! ;-)
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2016 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

After Aaron's description, I'm a little afraid to hear it,but can anybody note the edit points for "Sting's edit?"

More importantly (for me), do you know if radio played "Sting's Edit" or the "Original Edit?"

If it was the "Original Edit," the edit points on that would be preferable.

The promo discs on Discogs just add to the confusion; the 7" / 45 RPM promos appear to be labeled "S" and "L" (for short and long I'm guessing), while the CD promo disc puts "Sting's edit" first.

I hate to do a hatchet job on any song... but if that's what was on the radio at the time, that's what I want to have on my stream.

Thanks!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 January 2016 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just emailed it to you, Gene.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 January 2016 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

By the way, the only edit that's truly atrocious is at 0:25. You can't miss it.

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2016 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

I've been trying to track down these edits too! Sting is definitely one of the trickier ones to round up all of the single versions for.
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2016 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Thanks to Aaron I now have access to the edit points... unfortunately, my "day job" work week starts tomorrow morning so chances are I won't be able to figure this out until next Sunday at the earliest.

Once I get the edit points figured out, I'll post them here!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 January 2016 at 12:50am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Oh, I'm not liking this one at ALL. First we have a fade-in which is full volume on the single, then we have what I believe are some out of order edits.

*cracks knuckles* Here we go!

First, remove the first 10 seconds, starting the recording on the downbeat of one.

Next, grab 1:25 - 1:44 ("Be still my beating heart" repeated by chorus). We'll need it in a second.

While you'll here, you'll also want to grab 1:10 to 1:20 right before it, which contains "Sink like a stone that's been thrown in the ocean / my logic has drown in a sea of devotion." You'll need that later.

Go back to your now-edited LP version and delete 5 seconds to 18 seconds. At this point, you will paste in the chorus you just grabbed a moment ago.

The opening 5 seconds now need to be raised in volume. These edits are a bit of a mess so nothing sounds right to me, but I think a ramp starting at +10 db down to +7 db will get you a pretty good level intro.

Now remove 0:42 to 1:48; I cut on the beat for the word "still."

Next, take out 1:03 to 1:13.

Now we need the "sink like a stone..." section we saved earlier.

The pitch on the single version I have drifts in and out of sync, but is generally slightly faster than the LP version from the CD "Nothing Like The Sun." Not sure exactly how much because I'm tired at want to go to bed, but it's off about half a beat by the end of the song, so not a lot.

The fade ends slightly faster on the single than the CD, gone in the version I have after the snare hits and before the word "still" of the chorus singing "be still my beating heart" at 3:57 in your new edit.

It's not pretty, would have been nicer if the band had performed it this way in the first place, but there it is.

TL;DR

Delete 0:00 - 0:10
Save 1:25 - 1:44
Save 1:10 - 1:20
Delete 0:05 - 0:18
Paste 1:25 - 1:44
Boost 0:00 - 0:05 +10db - +7db
Delete 0:42 - 1:48
Delete 1:03 - 1:13
Paste 1:10 - 1:20
Fade to silence at 3:57

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 January 2016 at 2:44am | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Thank you so much for your perseverance and detailed breakdown of this edit, NightAire!

Will tackle it myself this weekend with a glass or two of wine on standby. ;)
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

Plastic Steel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote Plastic Steel

If the thought of making Sting's Edit makes your heart beat, the stock 45 version is far less stressful to create. Wine and knuckle cracking is optional for this one.

Just two edits to the 5:31 LP version:

Remove 0:00.0 to 0:10.0 (the first ten seconds). You'll get the last remnants of the chord and then the pick up note on the synth-piano riff.

Then remove 2:03.6 to 2:13 (2:13.6 - 2:23 of the LP). You'll take out the first part of the repeated instrumental passage, editing on the downbeat.
Back to Top View Plastic Steel's Profile Search for other posts by Plastic Steel

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version