Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: John Phillips - Mississippi Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 24 September 2006 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Just recently Varese Sarabande released the original John Phillips album with the hit song "Mississippi." In addition to the original LP, the disc also includes the 45 version of the hit.

BEWARE!!!

While the LP tracks sound good, the single version of "Mississippi" is not a clean copy from the master tape. It is a less-than-desirable vinyl cleanup. There's plenty of groove distortion (especially toward the end of the song), and it just doesn't sound good.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 September 2006 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Aaron:

Unfortunately, the master tapes containing the 45 version mixes of several Mamas & Papas Top 40 hits were discarded many years ago and therefore all CDs that have these 45 mixes come from vinyl dubs. I'm not certain if the master tape containing the 45 version of John Phillips' "Mississippi" was lost forever in the shuffle as well. I'm sure Tom Diehl or one of the other resident board experts on oldies master tapes can furnish more details on this.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 September 2006 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hi All,
All 45 masters for anything on the Dunhill label are long lost. Legend has it this happened when MCA took control of the label and I've heard various stories about it.
Bottom line is all they have in the vaults are stereo LP masters. Any 45 versions that appeared on CD have been dubs of original Dunhill 45's.
Also too bad that most of those 45 pressings were very noisy and grungy.
-MM

Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 September 2006 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Does anyone know if Mama Cass's top 100 hit "Move In a Little Closer, Baby" appears on any CD from master tape? This is one of the few cases where I prefer the mono single mix (it's so much punchier) than the LP mix (which is not only less punchy but also very tinny). If I recall, every CD I've heard of this song has been mastered from vinyl.

Also, was this song never on any Mama Cass LPs except Best Of types?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 September 2006 at 12:40am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

MMathews wrote:
Hi All,
All 45 masters for anything on the Dunhill label are long lost. Legend has it this happened when MCA took control of the label and I've heard various stories about it.
Bottom line is all they have in the vaults are stereo LP masters. Any 45 versions that appeared on CD have been dubs of original Dunhill 45's.
-MM

From what I've been told by someone who asked Andy McKaie about this directly, many, but not all, 45 masters were tossed out. Also, if the songs appeared on a mono lp, Universal should still have the mono lp tapes as those shouldn't have been tossed out. The only tapes that did get tossed were the mono 45 masters IF (and only if) there was a version (whether it matched the single or not) that appeared on an lp of any kind, then the LP masters were kept. If the mono 45 was special to 45 and never on an lp in mono or stereo, Universal kept the mono 45 tape.

anthology123
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 September 2006 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote anthology123

That would explain all the Grass Roots Dunhill 45 mixes also missing.

So I take it the version of Mississippi on the Creeque Alley box set is the LP
version?
Back to Top View anthology123's Profile Search for other posts by anthology123

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 September 2006 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

TomDiehl1 wrote:
MMathews wrote:
Hi All,
-MM

From what I've been told by someone who asked Andy McKaie about this directly, many, but not all, 45 masters were tossed out. Also, if the songs appeared on a mono lp, Universal should still have the mono lp tapes as those shouldn't have been tossed out. The only tapes that did get tossed were the mono 45 masters IF (and only if) there was a version (whether it matched the single or not) that appeared on an lp of any kind, then the LP masters were kept. If the mono 45 was special to 45 and never on an lp in mono or stereo, Universal kept the mono 45 tape.

Very interesting... So if I'm understanding correctly, does this mean that the Dunhill 45 mixes actually all do still exist on tape somewhere???
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2006 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

If the mono LP masters weren't thrown out, then yes. If they were, then probably not...although the UK should've been sent copies of the same mono tapes.....

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 April 2007 at 12:43am | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial 45 for this, which is mono, has a listed time of (2:59), but an actual time of (3:09).

Edited by jimct on 18 April 2007 at 1:02am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

jrjr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 May 2007 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote jrjr

the abc/dunhill 45 also has a "warlok" insignia on the label... was this supposed to be a subsidiary or vanity label-type thing for john phillips because i cannot find it listed as such in any of my reference books... also, despite the vinyl distortion, it's nice to hear this song without the horrible "drum edit" on the lp version... what were they smoking in the editing room on that day???
Back to Top View jrjr's Profile Search for other posts by jrjr

john halloran
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 August 2012 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote john halloran

Looks like the 45 edit of Mississippi has now shown up on a re-release of the Mamas and Papas last LP "People Like Us". This was released out of the UK by Now Sounds/Cherry Red label. It looks like its been out since the end of June-has anyone picked this up??? The promo on the website says everything was "sourced from the master tapes".

I dont know about NowSounds/Cherry Red. I picked up he rerelease of the first Association LP, and while the LP tracks were fine, the 45 mixes sounded iffy. More troubling was my copy was stamped with a Rhino logo, meaning they used stateside masters (or vinyl 45s) for the cd mastering. Maybe one (Association) has nothing to do with the other (John Phillips).

I know everyone is looking for Dunhill masters to start showing up from overseas, particularly the UK (Ace). I also know everyone was pretty much disapointed with the 45 version that ended up on the John Phillips solo release. It would be nice to see this 45 show up in pristine form-its a classic in my books.
Back to Top View john halloran's Profile Search for other posts by john halloran

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 August 2012 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

The master tape purge happened when ABC Records bought Dot Records. Single tapes often got purged as did Mono LP tapes if there was a Stereo release. Masters stored elsewhere escaped the purge. Happened supposedly in the middle 1970's. MCA bought ABC Records in 1979.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2014 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

can the 45 version be extracted from the lp version or is
it a mix issue?

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2014 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

edtop40 wrote:
can the 45 version be extracted from the lp version or is it a mix issue?

It can't be replicated from the LP version, Ed. There are noticeable vocal take differences during the choruses, plus completely different lyrics from 2:29 to 2:38. But the most obvious tip-off as the song plays along is the placement of the stand-alone word "just" at about 1:49, just ahead of the instrumental break. That word comes in one-and-a-half seconds later on the LP version than it does on the 45.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2014 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To YahShure:

Everything you said in your post was true, with the exception of the stand-alone word. What John Phillips is saying is "Joseph". He is calling out his recording session bass player Joe Osborn to play his bass solo.

Of course as a charter member of L.A.'s "Wrecking Crew" Mr. Osborn has played on thousands of songs & hundreds of Top-40 hits.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2014 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

"Joseph"?? I guess that does make more sense, at least on the 45. But on the LP version, Joe is plunking the first note even as John says his name. Why didn't the refs call a delay of Joseph penalty?

Thanks for the correction, Andy. I have a feeling that my brain cells won't quickly embrace the change after having misheard it since 1970.

Side note: During the years I lived in Oklahoma in the early '80s, on the drive to and from Minnesota, I'd often tune in Kansas City's "61 Country" WDAF-AM, which, thanks to the excellent midwest ground conductivity, had a phenomenal daytime reach for only 5000 watts. Without fail, on every one of those trips, I'd hear them play the 45 version of "Mississippi." Alhough the single did chart country, its number 58 peak wasn't indicative of the record's long-lasting appeal in Kansas City, more than a dozen years later. All the more remarkable, considering it's the Missouri that flows through KC, not the other "M" river.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Yah Shure wrote:
All the more remarkable, considering
it's the Missouri that flows through KC, not the other "M"
river.

Not so fast. Remember, there are 2 Kansas Cities...one in
Kansas, the other in Missouri and the Mississippi River
flows between the two.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

bitman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote bitman

Not so fast. Remember, there are 2 Kansas Cities...one in
Kansas, the other in Missouri and the Mississippi River
flows between the two.[/QUOTE]

Not so fast. There is one Kansas City that straddles the eastern side of Kansas and western side of Missouri. The Mississippi flows along the eastern side of Missouri at St. Louis.
Back to Top View bitman's Profile Search for other posts by bitman

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

hykker wrote:
Not so fast. Remember, there are 2 Kansas Cities...one in Kansas, the other in Missouri and the Mississippi River flows between the two.

bitman wrote:
Not so fast. There is one Kansas City that straddles the eastern side of Kansas and western side of Missouri. The Mississippi flows along the eastern side of Missouri at St. Louis.

Not so fast. There are two Kansas Cities, one in Kansas, the other in Missouri. The Missouri River flows between them as it comes in from the northwest, where it forms the boundary between the two states. But just beyond where the Kansas River flows into the Missouri (in KCKS) the boundary hops over the bank and heads due south, with State Line Road separating the KC twins.

Or, in vintage AM top-40 lingo:

Kansas City = Missouri River = WHB

St. Louis = Mississippi River = KXOK

Both Storz stations, incidentally. Which, during the years I made those drives, was headquartered along which of those two rivers?

A: The Missouri at Omaha, Nebraska. Speaking of which: look up Carter Lake, Iowa on the map. If you make the short drive from downtown Omaha to the airport (which is also located in Omaha) you have to drive through Iowa to get there, without crossing a river. Rivers'll do that when they have their way. Makes the dueling KCs look sensible by comparison. ;)   

Edited by Yah Shure on 16 January 2014 at 7:30pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 November 2015 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

For those who like to compare, here's a snippet of the 45 version from the 2006 Wolfking reissue:

Mississippi from 2006 reissue CD

And here's a snippet from the upcoming Real Gone CD:

Mississippi from 2016 M&P Complete Singles

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version