Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Cutting Crew - (I Just) Died In Your Arms Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 September 2006 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hi All,

I am struggling to recall on this one. I noticed the database lists a 45 length & LP length, but no other difference.
I once had the 45 and the CD "Broadcast" but long ago got rid of both. I now only have the UK "Best Of The Cutting Crew". It contains 2 versions of the track. The first version runs 4:38 and fades with the end guitar break. This version seems the same as the version on "Broadcast" LP.
The other, I recall being annoyed when i got it home because it's listed as "Extended Remix" - I had hoped it was the elusive promo 12" single version, but in fact it runs 4:45 and is a remix with added/different reverb and runs a few secs more, to the end of the guitar break, and fades on those synth notes that open the song.

My question is, didn't the 45 have this remix? I'd swear when I heard it on this CD, the mix was nothing new to me.
Perhaps the 45 had the LP mix faded earlier on one side, and this remix on the other?

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who has these sources and can refresh my memory on this track.

-MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 September 2006 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

The stock copy had the "remix". Can't speak for the promo...
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 September 2006 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My dj 45 is just an early fade of the LP and runs (4:26) not (4:23) as stated on the record label. Matrix number is STVR-51287-2 QR-17289-2
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 September 2006 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

This was brought up in an earlier thread, but not fully investigated. Per the database, the version on Broadcast runs (4:43). I was always under the impression that this was the version that ends with the synth quickly fading out, as MMatthews describes above.

I believe it's one of those cases where two 45 versions exist, because Ed stated in the other thread that his 45 runs (4:43) and ends with the synthesizer. I also have the 45, but mine runs closer to (4:26) and fades out during the guitar solo at the end.

I've never done a close comparison to see if there were any mix differences, because none were blatently obvious. Is it possible that some CD pressings of Broadcast contain the (4:43) 45 remix that you guys are talking about?

Edited by aaronk on 12 September 2006 at 10:55pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 September 2006 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hi again,
well glad to see I'm not crazy (at least about this one thing...)
What started this was I was about to choose which version I was going to rip and for my 80's folder. I chose the "remix" with the synth ending because it was most familiar to me. That led me to check the database to see if I was labeling it "45 version"...
I recalled that was the reason i was annoyed that the UK cd called it "extended remix" and I had said what they called "extended" was merely the U.S. 45 version.
Oh, and besides the different ending, the other most noticable element (under phones) is the lead vocal has stereo reverb echo-ing in the left-right. The LP mix does not.
My thanks to those who are all digging out and checking their singles - and my apologies to Pat if I've now added yet another 45 that had 2 different issues.
But I was really sure about this one....

-MM   
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

vanmeter
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 September 2006 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote vanmeter

I posted here about this once before, but my 45 without doubt has the synth by itself in a quick fadeout. I was surprised to hear that there was another version!
Back to Top View vanmeter's Profile Search for other posts by vanmeter

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 September 2006 at 12:01am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Did either the dj or stock 45s with the 4:23 fade contain the remix version, i.e. the remix with the stereo reverb on the lead vocal, but faded to 4:23?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 12:47am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

EdisonLite wrote:
Did either the dj or stock 45s with the 4:23 fade contain the remix version, i.e. the remix with the stereo reverb on the lead vocal, but faded to 4:23?

My 45 is in Michigan, so unfortunately, I cannot check. Can anyone else help out?

Now, I had not paid much attention to the two versions until now, but they are drastically two different mixes. Not only is there added reverb on the vocals, but there are lots of other differences. The guitars are brought forward in the (4:43) remix, and the drums have more punch.

I checked three different CDs in my collection, and here are my findings:

- Pure 80s Love has the (4:43) remix
- Totally 80s (Razor & Tie) has the (4:34) non-remixed faded version
- Whole Lotta Rock 1986-1987 has the (4:34) non-remixed faded version

I'm very curious to know if those faded 45s are remixed or not. I wish I had mine with me :(
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 4:36am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron: Both sides of my DJ 45 are (4:23). In the next day or two I was shoot a dub out to you, so you can further investigate with your own ears, and then hopefully get to the bottom of this "mixes" controversy.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 September 2006 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just listened to a dub of Jim's (4:23) DJ 45, and it has the remixed version but faded during the guitar break. This leads me to believe that my commercial 45 is the same way. I'll try to have my parents dig it up and provide the runout groove info.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 September 2006 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron: I also have the stock 45 for it (of course, unless you're overdue to call your folks!) Listed time 4:41; deadwax is "STVR 51238", then a dot and a "1", followed by a crossed out character, which was either an "S" or an "8". My DJ 45 deadwax is not like Pat's earlier DJ info, which was why I went ahead and sent it to Aaron, although that may have appeared redundant to some. My DJ copy deadwax simply has "STVR-51287-1". If you need me to supply you with a dub of my stock 45 to further the research, Aaron, let me know.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 September 2006 at 11:55pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jim, I appreciate all your hard work in solving this case. You've provided some very valuable information. Based on the info so far, it appears there are two different DJ 45s: one with the LP version faded (like what Pat has) and one with the remix faded (like yours).

I'm still going to call my folks (not because it's overdue--haha), but because I'd like to find out what I have. Jim, does your stock 45 fade out during the guitar solo or does it run 4:43?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 September 2006 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron: My stock 45 does not fade out during the guitar solo, and runs (4:43).

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 October 2006 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 runs 4:43 and is identical to the version from "broadcast".....i don't know about any remix....maybe the 4:24 is the remix version but my 45 is the same as the cd version and runs 4:43.......it should be noted that the 4:43 45 version is the same as the full cd/lp version....my 45 has the same inscription in the run out groove as jim's....

Edited by edtop40 on 23 October 2006 at 7:16pm

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 October 2006 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Has anyone found a dj copy that runs (4:43) with either of the mixes?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 October 2006 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I recently obtained a copy of the Power Players compilation, which contains the remixed version that fades out during the guitar solo. The run time is (4:24). This is the first CD I've come across that has the remixed version faded. All my other CDs with the fade have the non-remixed version.

Unfortunately, I still have not asked my parents to dig out my 45, but I am very confident that it's the remixed version faded to (4:23), like Jim's promo 45.

Does anyone have a copy of the vinyl LP who can tell us which version it contains? MMatthews says the non-remixed faded version appears on the Broadcast LP, but he does not specify vinyl or CD. I still have a gut feeling that CD copies contain the remixed 45 version that does not fade, and that is why Pat is saying "early fade of the LP version."

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 November 2006 at 12:07am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

By the way, the first place where you can easily tell the remixed from the non-remixed version apart is right after the first chorus when the drums kick in. Between the first and second guitar riff, the non-remixed version has two soft strums of an acoustic guitar (somewhat faint). On the remixed version, these guitar strums are so far back in the mix, they are practically non-existant.

Regarding the vocal reverb that is noted above, the remixed version has more of an echo. Listen for the line "Her diary sits by the bedside table." On the non-remixed version, there is only some faint reverb. On the remixed version, it sounds like "Her diary sits by the bedside table (table)." Also, when comparing the two, the lead vocal is mixed louder on the remixed version.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 November 2006 at 12:47am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat, were you planning on distinguishing between the remixed and non-remixed versions on this one?

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 November 2006 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My priority right now is to get the backlog of new cd's off my desk and into the database. Time-Life has been releasing box set after box set with hundreds of songs in each box that take forever to review.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 November 2006 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I understand. I was just wondering if this thread was pretty much put to rest (other than your question above) or if we needed to do more digging on this one.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version